First ride in Myanmar the land of unexpected

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ajake, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm newbie here but hope that my story can make you guy satisfy. I was lucky enough to joined the group of riders who just had an experience of riding in Myanmar, Joerg Waldmann was preparing the trip for 4 month and we finally started our trip on Dec 6th from Bangkok, Thailand to Mae Sot border city.

[​IMG]
    Dec. 7th, five of us leaving from IM boutique hotel at Mae-Sot to the border and from that moment the adventure has begun.

[​IMG]
    Me, Dusit Semangern, Thai rider with KTM Enduro 690

[​IMG]
    Joerg Waldmann, German rider with BMW F800 GS

[​IMG]
    Sukie Sukosol Clapp, Thai rider with KTM Adventure 990

[​IMG]
    Filippo, German rider who is making his around the world trip with Heike, BMW R1150 GS

[​IMG]
    Heike, German rider who is making his around the world trip with Filippo, BMW F650 GS
  2. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Awesome, awesome, awesome.
  3. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We easily crossed the border because Joerg and his team of ICS did preparing everything well. Thank so much for their effort and hardworking. After crossing the border into Myanmar we became a celeb with so many local photographer and reporter surrounded us. After meet and greet we were lead by policeman who carry their AK47 up to the mountain to Kawkariek. Every time we stopped for taking photo the police spread out and look around seriously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The road was bad and worst, very narrow and badly damage with abyss in one side and stone wall in other side. We found out later that the government manage the traffic on the mountain oneway and switch the direction day by day and when we used the road we were riding in the wrong direction and the police just blocked the road for us while hundred of trucks, buses, cars, and motorcycle had to wait for us on the other side of the mountain, they had to wait for 4 hours before start what they do for living, i fell bad for that.
  4. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    waiting for moderator approve the new post.

By the way sorry for my broken english :rolleyes
  5. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No apology necessary - your English is fine.
  6. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering, if someone can tell me what i should do? When i posted the second with some photos and text, system told me that moderator have to approve my post so i am waiting for approval but till now still nothing. Do i have to repost or just wait till the moderator do their job first. I still have more photos and story of Myanmar to tell here but don't want to keep post and repost again because of approval system.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your posts have been approved however the small banner on your photos are a distraction and on the spammy side. At ADV we hate spam :norton
    Great pics :thumb
  8. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    Thank for approved. I am too hate spam and that banner is a watermark to prevent others use my photos.
  9. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your report and great photos. Hope you are able to post more photos.
    Your english is good.
  10. Big Daddy D

Big Daddy D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Nice photos!

Khop khun khrap
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As per the posted rules, photos are copyrighted to you once posted, so no one is permitted to use them. We take copyright violations very seriously.
  12. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Everywhere we go there were a polices with and without AK47 in their hand.

[​IMG]
    Rice field in fromt of mountain near Pa An.

[​IMG]
    We had to stop at checkpoint for papers checking more than 5 checkpoint today but never spend more than 15 min. at each check point.
  13. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Most of the road in Myanmar except Naypyidaw are asphalt in the photo may seem like smooth road but actually not, this road was bumpy and full of pot hole, some area we couldn't think that we were riding on the road.

[​IMG]
    On the second day we were riding up the mountain to Kyaitiyo for Golden Rock but got stuck in traffic jam because that day was a national holiday and more than 30,000 Myanmar buddhism came to visit the Golden Rock. So, avoid visit Kyaitiyo on holiday or weekend.

[​IMG]
    At first base camp everybody have to park their cars or motorcycle and continue travel by truck to the top of the mountain and from there waking to the Golden Rock.

[​IMG]
    We parked our bikes at police station and travelled by truck to the top.

[​IMG]
    They all came for the Golden Rock.

[​IMG]
    The Golden Rock
  14. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Myanmar dessert at Kyaitiyo.

[​IMG]
    Motorcycle shop at Kyaitiyo.

[​IMG]
    We stopped here for soft drink.

[​IMG]
    Two KTM were waiting for three BMW after getting through traffic back down from the mountain.
  15. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    I think my photo are too big for Advrider screen, i have resized them and post on FB and then link to here, on FB photos look ok but here really too big. So i think i will resize all the photos make it smaller and upload to photo server and link to here again that may take sometime but will do it when have time. But for now have to go to bed, Thailand time now is midnight.

Good night and will come back with more photos ASAP.
  16. sloperut

sloperut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great photos, looking forward to more, thanks.

My wife and I just returned from a two week tour (non motorcycle) of Myanmar. Beautiful country and people. Go there before it becomes awash with tourists.
  17. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your consideration in downsizing the images!

In my view (literally), 800 x 600 px is big enough. Much larger, and . . . text streams beyond the viewable window of my computer screen.

Excellent ride report!
  18. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    We left Kyatiyo around 2pm and heading to the capital city Naypyidaw. Again on the foul road cut through rice farm and villages, we stopped for photo couple time and found that they still use ox cart here even have a special lane for ox cart along the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When we arrived near Naypyidaw we found other unexpected amazingly experience again. From the bad asphalt condition narrow road suddenly like a magic the road changed to concrete 8 lane with nice light pole, also the small wood house were gone only a big building, hotel and department store just rise uo in the middle of Myanmar. Amazing!!!

We had lost the way to the hotel by riding around the capital city we gained 30 km in only 3 intersection, this city was so damn huge.
  19. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    In the morning we woke up and ride out to see that this city is real, we found out that only tourist (mostly Thai) and workers for making hotel or other big building were in this city.

[​IMG]
    My KTM in front of very huge parliament of Naypyidaw.

Our's bikes parking in front of Uppatasanti Pagoda.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Our team in front of Uppatasanti Pagoda.

[​IMG]
    Take a nap in front of parliament.
  20. ajake

ajake ajake

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From Naypyidaw we ride to Bagan and arrived just in time for the sea of pagodas in sunset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When others members spent their time rest in the hotel, i thought it's could be nice to ride out and have some night shot of Bagan.
    Lycan1 likes this.