1. eNewsletter Sign Up

First road test of new gps and first .gpx

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by RRob, Mar 12, 2006.

1. RRob

RRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife got me an eTrex Legend and MapSource Topo software for my birthday. This is my first expierience with a GPS. The first thing I did to try it out was to walk around the perimeter of our property and compare the results to the actual survey. The accuracy was amazing. There was no more than a 20 foot error in any segment and several measurements were exactly correct.

The map display on the eTrex Legend is terrible. I would hate to have to navigate in unfamilar territory using only these pathetic grey-scale images.

I like the "track" feature the best. Most times after a ride I come home and relax by retracing my route on a DeLorme map. The eTrex and the MapSource software seem to do this flawlessly.

What is the best way to convert a track or route map in MapSource to a .jpg?

In the attached .gpx I tried to conceal my home location just for fun. Did I do a good enough job or is there still enough evidence to pinpoint my location?
  2. strommin

strommin bending light

Oddometer:
    Rebel Rob,

With the track or route displayed in MapSource, hit the ctrl+printscreen key combination. That will copy the on-screen display to the clipboard. Open a bitmap editing program like PaintShop or PhotoShop, select file>new from the menu and then paste. Save the resulting file as a JPEG and you are in business.

You'll wind up with this:
    [​IMG]

And if you know how to crop the file you'll end up with something like this:
    [​IMG]

Dave
  3. RRob

RRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worked great. Thanks for the tip!
  4. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell, but I think I might have a rough idea of where you live :dunno
  5. RRob

RRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Care to wager? :evil You win if you can pinpoint my property within .2 latitude and longitude.
  6. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    How about a beer, my place, my son's place (your neck o' the woods) or your place some time. First guess, only because of a strange jog would be N39.27827 W78.35460. There are two other spots that could be likely due to the slow speed/number of track points together and another jog just off from Knob Road.

Hope I'm buyin.
  7. RRob

RRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :1drink N39.27827 W78.35460 is a good guess but not too close. The tiny loop off of Knob Rd. at N39.28797 W78.33160 is a scenic overlook on a trail. That guess is warmer.

I just realized that I wasn't specific enough when I said the guess had to be within .2 to be correct. I was thinking in terms of the hddd(deg)mm.mmm' format rather than hddd.ddddd(deg) format. In other words .2 of a minute rather than .2 of a degree. After all .2 of a degree must be roughly 10 miles; a 100 square mile target would be hard to miss.
    :freaky
  8. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I still owe you a beer. Are you heading down to Hot Springs? :1drink

I use decimal format for coordinates, easier to work with in spread sheets and crunch when required.
  9. RRob

RRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll take an ice cold Budweiser poured gently into a glass...

or whatever is handy.:freaky

I keep meaning to check out the upcoming events forum. I am gonna make it to an ADV event. It'll be fun to put the faces with the names. Is Hot Springs the place to be?

Let me know if you're ever out this way for an afternoon tour of the real northern Virginia.

edit: Hot Springs conflicts with a track day, might be BYOB for me.