First Service Programming?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by EvilTwin86, Nov 18, 2019.

1. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    So I picked up my brand new 2020 790 Adventure last Tuesday, and I've already got 550 miles on it (honestly a little disappointed in myself that I didn't crack 600 this weekend). Anyways, as a motorcycle tech myself, I have no intentions of paying the dealership to do maintenance on my bike. However I'm wondering if there is a programming update that the dealership does at the initial break-in service that unlocks stuff in the engine management software. Does anyone know if it's necessary for the dealer to reprogram the bike at the 600 mile service?
    Dragonman likes this.
  2. Dragonman

Dragonman The map is not the territory! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are you located? Interested in where this delivery of the 2020 R happened
  3. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    There does not seem to be any issues with doing the service yourself. I did the same thing, and my dealer was fine with that. The low rpm warning will disappear on it's own after the 600 mile mark.
  4. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike unlocks the rev limiter menu at 600 miles by itself. You can reset the mileage for next service with a secret handshake (warning: only once in a while!).

However, visit your official dealer once in a while: there are software updates from time to time.
  5. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a note. There is no actual rev limiter, it's just a warning light that starts flashing when you exceed the max recommended break-in RPM.
  6. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I'm in Socal, but mine isn't an R, I got an S. The only thing I wanted from the R model was the better suspension, but I figured I could do some aftermarket upgrades if the OEM stiff was too terrible.

Ok perfect, thanks guys. I hate being dependent on dealerships.
    Dragonman likes this.
  7. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only thing I would say that is worth bringing it to the dealer for is the adjustment to the QS which is supposed to be part of the first service. Of course,my dealer didn’t do it so a lot of good that did me...
  9. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Eh, my QS is working fine.
  10. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I bring the bike to my dealer for service. But people using the hidden menu reported issues changing things too often. I don't remember the details, hopefully someone does (and if you do, tell me I'll update the FAQ)
  11. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine could use some adjustment as it takes more lever travel to initiate the shift than it did when it was new
  12. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    How many miles do you have on yours?