First start in 14 years. What's that sound?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Slicky, Apr 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree...looks like floodwaters cleaned out whatever varmints had set up shop. That whole bike looks like its had a soak...including those valves which would also mean the crank...
  2. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why do you need a better meter to test that coil? Regardless of what the resistance reads, I'm sure you will see a nice light show if you run that in a dark garage. It needs replaced...coils can be hard to test definitively. You can test resistance and it shows bad and confirms the need to replace but it can also test within spec on resistance but fail under load. But yours has already failed the visual test so no need to go further. Replace with a known good coil.
  3. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is the worst looking one I've seen so far. If it isn't the problem, it will become a big one very soon.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  4. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Test the butterfly shaft o-rings before making assumptions. I heard about this one guys cousins brother somewhere on the net who pulled the shafts and the o-rings fell apart. He had never tested them so he does not know, to this day, if they were good or bad. In the course of fixing things he made an error that brought grief. Because an o-ring falls apart whwn removed does not mean it was bad before being removed. This is counterintuitive.

With the engine idling spray some starter fluid or carb cleaner around the shafts. If the motor speeds up the o-rings are leaking.

I have a good coil around here somewhere for sale, cheap. You do need one. You can patch what you got by gooping it with silicone but do not ride far or in the wet.
  5. Slicky

Slicky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Course of action now

Ordering new ew coil and plug wires. - I'm going with the EnDuraLast 1.5 ohm, any reason to go with 0.7 ohm?
    Should I just buy a new ICM while I'm at it?

Get the thing running again with new ignition components and start investigating the carbs more. o-ring seals, switching sides, ex.
  6. Slicky

Slicky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pic of the bike when I got it.
    20210220_150520.jpg
    spokester likes this.
  7. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    I wonder if something was living in the bike? Judging by the leaves in the motor grill, looks like insulation for a nest.
  8. Arktasian

Arktasian Feelin the BMEP

Oddometer:
    I think it was RT Gerbils, but they got forced out by Death Watch Beetles (of metal fatigue fame).
  9. Slicky

Slicky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Timing and starter cover have been pulled off. No damage or nests. Large amount of crap on the "dirty" side of the air filter. Probably home to some little critter 20210228_114946.jpg
  10. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    The bike is an '86. Does the ICU have the OE big aluminum heat sink attached? If so, that should be the HD ICU and I'm pretty sure that the 0.7 Ohm coil is called for. That's what I'm running these days.
  11. Slicky

Slicky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes large aluminum heat sink BOSCH 0 227 100 103. 20210413_194203.jpg
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  12. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    At some point you should pull the ICU off the heat sink and apply some new heat sink paste. The ICUs can overheat and cause odd problems.
    Slicky likes this.