First thought. Don't drop the bike?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by leighton_co, Oct 31, 2020.

1. leighton_co

leighton_co only place anything happens is out there kitty

Oddometer:
    I really like the way they handle. I rode through 6 hours of gushing rain on these things and they grip the wet like the wet isn't there. Yes they are cheap. Which is why I probly might kill off the other 2 tires I've got for a while before I revert to them again.
    Got some kenda big block and a Dunlop trailsmart or whatever it's called.
  2. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    I've been pondering this same also. It may as one of the other posts here says be simply a "catastrophic failure"... I'd put about a couple k on these tires. Rear one looked like it would go another 1k or so. Or so I thought.
    Anyway I'm here there and every where. So glad I made it
    Thank Jesus for his hand on the wheel.
  3. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    I've never seen anything g but commercial rated tires reskinned.
    That being said. I imagine the problem with motorcycle tires is they aren't cheap... I mean they are cheap
    Compared to car tires they are easier to manufacture according to many blogs etc.

It seems like such a waste of rubber and nylon to throw 200 bucks at a tire that wont last 15k miles like a regular tire on car.
    OH well. We like to ride so we pay that sticker.
  4. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Next thought. It's the holiday season.
    I have an excellent tire to make a wreath out of.
    Hmmm.... I'm thinking some kind of accident or near death experience theme?
  5. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20201030_192248.jpg
  6. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does the matching zig-zag of tread on the opposite side of the tyre show any similar signs of damage, inside or out ?

I can see some circumferential dark marks on the inside in that area on that photo - but not really clear.
  7. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tire was defective somehow, let the manufacturer know, let DOT know.

I agree it's well worn but it shouldn't have done THAT.
    Ogre_fl, daveinva and dave0 like this.
  8. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was an ugly failure. Good on you for keeping it upright!!
  9. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, what a hairy experience! I've never had a blow out, but I had a rather well-timed nail recently. I had just purchased a new set of tires for my CB1100. The old ones weren't worn out yet, but they were quite old, and getting small cracks. I had just made an appointment with my tire guy to bring him my wheels, and was riding home to pull the wheels off of the bike. A few miles from home, the back end started getting squirmy. Sure enough, I had picked up a nail in the back tire... that was dismounted and replaced a few hours later.

If that nail had come just after the new tire was installed, I wouldn't have been as happy about it.
  10. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I had a blow out on my 2014 Honda Forza 300 maxi-scooter last July.

I was riding from Hope, BC to Merritt, BC. I had gone up Larson Hill and had decided to find out what would happen when I hit the rev-limiter going down the other side.

Larson Hill is on the Coquihalla Highway 5. It is about 6 lanes wide where I was and the posted speed is 120 kmph.

I got into a tuck and twisted the throttle hard. I got to about 145 kmph or about 9000 rpm. The engine started sputtering so I figured I hit the limiter. I twisted hard and it sputtered again. OK, now I know.

The back end start to get a little unstable so I coasted to a stop at the side of the road.

I looked at the tire and it was flat. I had stopped at a slightly dangerous spot. About 200 meters up the road was a much safer spot. I tried to walk the scooter but it was up hill. The tire was a weird twisted shape.

I tried to power it up the hill but it would not go straight. I eventually got to the wider shoulder.

I then thoroughly inspected the tire. I found a nail hole.

I then remembered that I was still on my Heidenau K66 that had picked up a nail two weeks after I had installed it. It only had 900 km on it. I plugged it and rode another 9000 km with no problems.

If I had been sensible it would have lasted another 3000 km at least.

I called a neighbour who had foolishly told me he would help if I ever had any trouble. He took several hours to get to me.

We decided to plug my tire again. I needed gas so I rode into Merritt. I took the slow way back on the Coldwater Rd.

That got me back to the 120 kmph Larson Hill. I tried going fast but the gooey rope plug blew out.

I was down to my last plug. I decided that 50 kmph was the max I would go. I rode on the paved shoulder for about 100 km.

Vic followed with his 4 way flashers going the whole way. Lots of places the shoulder were only wide enough for a scooter. His little Nissan truck was half on the highway with big rigs passing at 150 kmph.

Eventually I got home and filled the scooter up. My calculated miles per bigger Imperial gallon (Canada) was 102.

I got scared several times but no underwear change was required.

I put a Michelin City Grip 2 M+S (snow) tire on next. I have 9500 km on that tire and figure it can go another 3000 km easily. I will not need to hit the rev-limiter again.
  11. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Gosh. I'm glad you had foolish friends. I'm happy to hear that you made it to civilization ish.
    You and I can breathe thanks to the people and others watching for us.
    Glad you made it to where you need to be.
  12. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the story. It has made me think of if things outside of my experience.
  13. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Life has a funny way of doing things to make you think. Glad you made it!
  14. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    I really should get ahold of them!
  15. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support. I am glad equally I made it. Somebody wants me around.!
    Colorad0 likes this.
  16. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    You ask me a difficult question. I'm not sure I can make any answer after fact. The damage seems to appear that whatever happened did so at speed. This being said, the after effect of the damage seems to have ripped the tread apart. The presence of the damage applies that the tread seemed to separate at some point. The damage being so severe are this point I'm speculative of the actual reason for it. As the after effect of damage being split of tire.....
    A couple of other posts suggested that carcasses of this type appears to indicate the tread or something failed...
    That said I only know what happened. Before I left I inflated the tire to around 40psi. I checked it preflight at 32psi. After inflation inset off thinking it was sitting and had deflated due to such.
    After approximately 25 miles the tail end deflated somehow
    And the results you've seen
  17. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Anyway. The tire before I left had been checked. I'd made sure it was to spec. 42psi.... Anyway.
    Refuse had hit the impeller...oh well
    Is a learning experience. I learned...?
    I am here for now. Thank God for that
    AZbiker likes this.
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    As a mathematician, let me assure you that this doesn't mean much - a tire failure is a statistical game, just like not dying during the tire failure is a statistical game. You lost the former but won the much more important later. I am not going to opine on tires themselves, but if it was me, after an experience like that, I would replace my next tire much, much sooner. Just to be on the safe side of statistics.
    Amphib, TallPaulAZ and PeterTrocewicz like this.
  19. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    I've never blown a tire at speed, but I blew the motor on my C10 at 80mph and kept it up.

[​IMG]

It was pretty damn scary. Glad you are okay and the damage was minimal!
  20. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    If you follow up with Shinko or DOT, keep us posted.

I've had a couple of those, and the 1st one seemed to wear like iron & last forever. Longest lasting rear tire I've had, by a lot. Its once good wet traction wasn't great by the end which is why I replaced it. Second one is still mounted. It might last forever too, because I hardly ride these days.