First thought. Don't drop the bike?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by leighton_co, Oct 31, 2020.

1. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    As to the thread title, that's been my first thought on quite a few occasions.

Forty years ago, travelling alone a week and 1600 miles from home, fully loaded with camping gear, right turn onto a different road, accelerate 75 feet up a rise and discover the road makes a sharp left at the crest. Don't drop the bike! Managed to stop upright in the damp grass of a farmers yard.

Bought my new-to-me RT 150 miles from home, returned on the twisty backroads, headed into a left hand curve way faster than intended, no time to brake. Don't drop the bike! The ditch would probably have totaled me and the bike, so I prepared for a low side and leaned it more, and it rolled through like it was on a rail.

Passed a slow car in the twisties of SE Ohio, good visibility ahead, but I crossed back into my lane at the beginning of a curve, braking and leaned when the front tire hit the damp center line, slid, and tucked a bit. Don't drop the bike! Not sure exactly what my reaction was, no time to think, but it worked (felt a little like Marquez!).

Usually the thought is just a fleeting response to the unexpected while the body reacts. It's better than thinking "I'm gonna die!" while the body just gives up.

Then there is getting caught in a deluge of rain or a snowstorm where the thought is a constant, exhausting presence, making it hard not to tense up.
  2. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Yep, the bike knows how to ride better than you do.
  3. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. I've read this in several books and articles on riding skills. Relax and like the bike sort it out. There are situations where its the best thing to do. We also need to remember that in panic situations we sometimes do tend to do the opposite of what's actually required.
    AZbiker likes this.
  4. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. RockBurner

RockBurner Rocksterater

Oddometer:
    Been there, on my 3rd Rockster.

Had just done a very silly thing* and was approaching a tight, blind, right hander (in France), and as I'm braking as hard as I dare I come to the sudden realisation that I'm going too fast to slow to a speed I'm comfortable with for the corner.

Panic (briefly), then say to myself "Not today".

Let go of the brakes and push HARD on the right bar to throw the bike into the corner.

Went round with so little fuss (apart from lean angle) I almost wiped out the left hander immediately following from sheer surprise! :D

* I'll tell, but only for the right price. ;)
  6. leighton_co

leighton_co only place anything happens is out there kitty

Oddometer:

I lost all my money in the divorce. If you need beerskies if your in my territory. Let me know
  7. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Well bit to read. I think they are mainly talking bias ply. My tire was radial. I haven't decided what the end goal was for the tire to split on me.
    I think theres something nefarious afoot...or underfoot. The tire knomes are after us.?
  8. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Somehow I made whatever saved me work. I got lucky. And God is there. Even when we ignore him. Satan too.
  9. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    With my bike. You might be right about that. If it wasn't for my stuff and my passengers and me... It might be better then I am allsaid
  10. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you made it. Sounds similar to a even I had happen to me on my same bike. I was in Montana and it involves a moose a primus and lots of twisties...
  11. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Yes you too! That blowout on motor looks feisty!
    AZbiker likes this.
  12. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    20201113_215427.jpg
  13. leighton_co

Oddometer:
    Added my tire wreath
  14. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe shinko makes the 150/70-17 in both a radial and bias ply. The bias ply is known to chunk tread on the big adv bikes. Never heard of the radial doing that. Can’t tell from your pics if yours was radial or bias?