First time caller, long time listener...big fan

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by smalls78, Oct 8, 2017.

1. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C605CE76-38AE-46C7-94F8-7C7917A754B0.jpeg

Christmas Eve Eve ride
  2. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice posts! Anything to share on the 3 bikes within 12 months? What did you like of each and what was the missing piece that you wanted on the replacement. All 3 are nice bikes that have been on my list at somepoint.
  3. smalls78

Oddometer:
    Well, I've avoided comparison in the past for fear of castration. Folks tend to have a strong allegiance to what they ride and some just cannot fathom another's view point. Proceed with caution.

1) Yamaha S-10 - 2013: This was my first bout at adv riding, coming from cruiser riding/touring. I read up on the S-10 and with bulletproof reviews I jumped on a well cared for generation 1. It has just ok if you ask me. In fact I found it very heavy, vibration prone, and the handlebars were weird with an extreme sweep. So after some research I swapped out the clutch basket with a generation 2 part leading to improved vibration dampening. But it was still just meh.... I sold it in search of something lighter and less bike for more trails. Honestly, I didn't like it much at all.

2) Enter the Tiger 800XC - 2012: The best bike for the buck! I loved this thing. The owner before me had put every farkle on it imaginable and I lucked out that it fit me like a glove right outta the gate. I ran with a Sargent seat in the low position, custom lowered foot pegs, Rox risers, and a GIVI adjustable windscreen. This bike took me well into the adv riding scene and lead me on some remote forest service roads. I routinely did 250mi days. It seemed "lighter" and much more nimble with the larger front wheel diameter. That said, specs might show it wasn't really that much lighter but who cares when it rides great.

Bike had one negative I didn't realize until researching after I bought it. The 2012 first generation Tiger 800 has a stepper motor (google it) and this poses occasional starting/stalling problems. Once you figure out the issue it can be maintained. The newer Tigers do not have this.

Only drawback to me was the highway. On long days it did hum at high speeds and seemed a little "over worked" with high rpms. Now I will say this in total defense of the Tiger 800, because the bike will damn near out last anyone riding it, but I just wanted something a little more road worthy for longer distance that seemed a little more "relaxed". So back to searches for a 1200. But...I could've kept the Tiger.

3) BMW R1200 GSA - 2015: I've always wanted this bike. A few years back it was my first test ride on any adv bike and has remained in the back of my mind, so I got one. First, the weight distribution on this bike is supreme. It displaces the weight to where the bike actually feels lighter than the Tiger 800. It soaks up miles like Charlie Sheen snorting coke off a strippers backside. It works the forest service roads like Freddy Mercury and a microphone. Damn thing looks like a wide breasted rambunctious pig, but man it somehow works the magic. Thing is a tractor and I love it!

I will say prior to the GSA I test rode another Yamaha S-10, 2016 generation 2 ES version and the changes from the generation 1 were drastically improved. It's a solid bike for sure. However, the BMW GSA blew my skirt up so....

Ride free.
    NorthIdaho800gsa and fastring like this.
  4. smalls78

Oddometer:
    20629106-6334-4B94-92D9-88DE44E18E62.jpeg
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  5. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, everyone is and rides different so I appreciate your reflection on your bikes.

That GSA is a great bike, glad you found a good fit, looking forward to your ride reports with it.
    NxtGoRnd and smalls78 like this.
  6. smalls78

Oddometer:
    Starting the NY off on the right track!

0364693E-0EF3-4D22-87B5-A5930CACC320.jpeg
  7. smalls78

Oddometer:
    February and 70 degrees. Made the best of it with a long day in the mtns. Met 2 locals riding a KLR and presumably what looked like a XR 650. Good day.

ED16B36E-B4FC-4535-88BF-D11EE79E62D4.jpeg 923A1DD5-0A26-40FD-8C57-5C277201F789.jpeg
    max384 likes this.