First time in the U.S. - Asking for your opinions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BGil, Jul 12, 2018.

1. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great! Thanks for the offer.
    I don't know exactly when I will be around your place, probably around the 10th.

I will PM you when I know how fast I travel.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Bernard...you have TO GO TO THE dmv OFFICIALweb site and go to 'more online services' then go to registration suspension section and fill out the form....then you need to pay the $14 and then scan your insurance ID and email that.
  3. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    You may not be able to enter Yosemite from the south, or go into Yosemite Valley. There is a big fire near Mariposa. You can still go through Groveland to access the Park, and up over Tioga Pass (Highway 120). Those areas may be open again by the time you get there. If riding smokey roads around the fire doesn't appeal to you, the other Sierra Nevada passes are also great rides. If you find road closures, you can just keep coming north along Highway 49. Sonora Pass is rocky and striking. Ebbetts Pass has Big Tree State Park (redwoods) and lakes right at the side of the road. You can make your way to Tahoe from any of them.

After leaving Crater Lake, I think it is worth it to get over to the coast instead of taking Interstate 5 to Portland. We did that, and went all the way to Astoria before heading inland. Just east of Portland, Multnomah Falls is a great photo stop.

I hate to see you miss Bonneville Salt Flats. Many Americans might consider it a big flat nothing, especially if there is no event happening, but there aren't many salt flats like that in the world. Probably not in Belgium, anyway. It's like being on another planet. Of course talking a bike out there will hurt it's value. That salt is bad news for anything made from steel, and it's almost impossible to get it all off.

When you go through the southeast corner of Utah, you might want to detour through Moki Dugway.

At the Grand Canyon, the airplane/helicopter ride is well worth it. Scary, but worth it.
  4. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Washington Oregon coast is the best. Especially in summer.
    kantuckid likes this.
  5. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nebraska is flat
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    74D3F30B-1BE4-4B8A-910E-230F236F451B.jpeg B10D8261-EDA6-43AB-8B25-4C7F2F920ACB.jpeg 9B718621-73D3-44FB-8A01-B31BC674511E.jpeg 2264346D-C440-4500-87BE-40847ADB59F2.jpeg Getting BGil bike ready. Turn signals and rack. Removing old chain.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    2DA19888-63A8-4102-95FE-7D3A353B0063.jpeg E5DA7BB0-031C-40AE-A6CB-E02B8A352901.jpeg I don’t and won’t work on dirty bikes. So good clean up and change rear sprocket.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Front sprocket area is filthy and sprocket is WAY hooked 90217072-71DE-4D69-A894-69CF2CA6786E.jpeg 0292F108-167F-47FB-9F8D-95896E47F37B.jpeg
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    My helper. Samuel loves motorcycles and loves to go to Chapparal Motorsports with his Grandfather. We get donuts, we get soda pop, we get stickers. Then we stop by BASS PRO and shoot guns. 1D8004D4-3BA1-4D2E-AA8A-148DEDA0452B.jpeg
    kantuckid and High Country Herb like this.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    1B1C0174-410F-4EA2-AD11-E567CF195F1B.jpeg 86AD53FA-D5BB-4E20-ACD6-1A6A3B8E4602.jpeg NOW I will ‘work’ on it. Cleaning is work, but I’m not wrenching on an oily nasty machine. Simple Green and elbow grease.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    New front sprocket installed. New chain shortened and installed/adjusted. Odd I think but I really like chain and sprocket work. Chains especially....I just love the chain tool....it simply works so good. Considering I don’t like to get dirty makes it more odd. 5A6979CA-F231-4976-840C-4329B137160E.jpeg F81B76BE-1C1D-4D41-B412-11C747F1F9AA.jpeg BDA5DEE9-1B6A-486A-8282-69D88C976FA9.jpeg
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    7D385E58-7EC7-441B-BAAA-C19D0E5F7091.jpeg BGil’s machine
  13. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Navigating around the fires might be difficult and it's not something that I can plan in advence. I will ask the locals when I'm getting closer.
    My journey will probably take me around Salt Lake City, the Salt Flats are not far from there.

A friend made a tour on a Harley a few years ago and told me about Moki Dugway, that it was something not to be missed. Thanks for reminding me.

Toney shares your opinion on the coast of Oregon. It's on my list :)
    kantuckid and High Country Herb like this.
  14. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    The latest news is saying the Valley floor of Yosemite will remain closed through the weekend. It's difficult to say how much longer.
    http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr...osures-extended-to-sunday-20180731-story.html

Highway 120 over the Sierra remains open. You will probably have to come further north on Hwy 49 and enter through Groveland, since the southern Park entrances are closed. The aerial photo shows most of the smoke blowing south of Tioga Pass, so riding over the top may be tolerable. There are some great views up there, and I hope you get to see them.

Incidentally, that isn't a bad route. Highway 49 between Mariposa and Moccasin is known locally as the "Little Dragon" because of how twisty it is.
    [​IMG]

The Iron Door Saloon in Groveland is one of two bars that claim to be the oldest continually operating in California. They serve really good fish-n-chips.
    [​IMG]

Climbing the hill to Groveland, you will have two choices.
    [​IMG]

East 120 is a reasonably twisty road that takes about 20 minutes, but is also the truck route. Old Priest Grade is insanely twisty, to the point that it isn't suitable for large cruiser bikes. The locals prefer this route as it takes less than half the time. You'll see plastic water bottles along the side of the road, which were left by the locals to help those with overheated engines. The first year my wife commuted down this road she burned a set of brake pads in 3 months. Now she understands the importance of gearing down. :lol3 Uphill is a blast.
    [​IMG]
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    There is a campground/motel just east of the Iron Door...walking distance a few minutes
    High Country Herb likes this.
  16. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Ah crap...the fire is getting farther north, so they have closed Highway 120 as well. Now the only way in and out of Yosemite is the east entrance near Lee Vining.
    https://www.mymotherlode.com/news/l...-highway-120-closed-due-to-ferguson-fire.html

It sounds like a re-route will be needed. Maybe Highway 108 over Sonora Pass, north 395 to 89/88 through Markleeville, to Tahoe, then up the east shore and over to the northern CA coast.

Within an hour of the 108/395 intersection, there are volcanic fissures, hot springs, BBQ brisket at Mountain View BBQ, etc.

The town of Sonora is a great place to stay the night, too. We have multiple places with craft beer, live music on weekends, lots of great restaurants, etc. If I'm in town when you pass through I'll buy you a beer at my favorite low key establishment. PM me for more details or a place sleep for the night.
    95Monster likes this.
  17. packn4alivin

packn4alivin packn4alivin

Oddometer:
    If you need a place to camp on your way to Yellowstone, hit me up I have room for tents, or you could stay the night in a camp trailer and have a private bathroom and shower. I'm near Idaho Falls and only about an hour and a half from Yellowstone. If you come through on a weekend I might be able to ride with you to Yellowstone.
  18. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would try to make it to Mexico entering at Douglas/A. Prieta and riding the Sierra down though Copper Canyon and on to Durango and the wonderful Espinazo from there to the Pacific. Saludos.
    95Monster likes this.
  19. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a road crossing the Sierra Nevada North of Lake Isabella and South of Yosemite? I can't find anything on googlemaps.
    If not I could follow the 395 to Crowley lake, Mono lake then Lee Vining. That route will make me miss Sequoia NP, but I suppose that there are nice trees on the eastern side of the Sierras too.
    Then West if the road is open again, or back East to Lee Vining.
    After that, Sonora Pass to Sonora for a beer with you, or instead North to Tahoe.

Thanks packn4alivin, I will probably come close to Idaho Falls and will gladly accept your offer.

Jim, I'd like to ride in Mexico - Copper Canyon and Baja were high in my list - but I don't know if I will have enough time for that. Maybe the solution would be to store my bike at the end of the trip instead of selling it, and come back later (in winter for instance). I don't know if it's possible though.
  20. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you have enough time but you might have to shorten it a little in USA which would be well worth it IMO. The routes up here are really long distances between POIs where the route I'm suggesting is canyon and mountain riding for a solid week. Saludos.