First time track bike?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by redneckK20, Jun 19, 2021.

1. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, what's up? I discovered early this year that about 2 hours away from me they're building a beautiful 3.87 mile road course in the rolling hills of central MO.

For those who don't want to read :with 14 years of good street experience, what sport bike would you buy for a track bike for a long course?

I've been riding on the street for about 14 years now. Started on a Bandit 600, racked up 30k+ miles and ground the pegs to a sharp point cornering it beyond what it wanted. My neighbor ever so kindly ran it over with her Civic so I replaced it with a 2002 R1.

Loved the bike to death, rode the piss out of it on the road. Was always too broke to pony up for full leathers and trackdays, so just enjoyed street riding. Put 34k miles on it. Ended up buying a 2012 Super Tenere brand new and falling in love with Adv bikes. Kept the R1 with the Tenere for about a month before selling the R1 because I rode the Tenere 95% of the time.

Loved the Super Tenere but it was porky and a bit slow. I moved to the city in Texas and had no gravel nearby to explore or anything really fun besides dirt bike parks. Did that a while, racked up 30k on the ST, then unfortunately had an old lady in a Buick pull out in front of me and total it.

I weighed my options, living in the city I wanted a quick naked bike and cheap is good, so I bought a 2015 FZ09 brand new. Loved the style and motor, hated the suspension. Was making a little more money, so I sunk some cash and time trying to make it handle decent. Bought leathers, was planning on booking my first track day. Ended up hitting a turtle in a blind corner (going a little too fast on the street) and totaling that bike.

Went bikeless for a year, moved back home, got a terrible job in a terrible shop and spent way out of my price range buying an 1190r KTM Adv. I loved that bike. Racked up 29k miles, won over $500 smoking some fast trucks at local dirt drags. Some scumbag stole it from me a little over a year ago. I miss it terribly.

Replaced that bike with a 790r Adv that I enjoy but it's not that quick and it's my daily transport, so I want to supplement it with a track bike.

Not to brag but I'm a very experienced rider with a heavy wrist but pretty good bike control if I say so myself. I choose to ride alone most of the time so it's not saying much, but I've never met someone that could keep up with me on a twisty road.

Thanks for any suggestions! Sorry about the novel.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a semi retired racer, the answer is always SV650 or one of the various 300's available. Yes, we all think we're great riders until you get on track. I actually came in third in the nation in my class a few years ago and then raced last year after a little hiatus and got lapped by a 12 year old girl. Oh she's good...look up Kayla Yaakov. But that just shows how your ego can be tucked back in your pocket real quick at the track. Go with an open mind simply planning on having fun. If you're doing track days there is no winner. Personally I've only done one track day in my life and found it boring as hell, but in my day they didn't exist ; if you wanted to be on a track you raced.

Give you an idea...I was in a battle for third against a 13 year old kid back in 2013, just pimped him at the line after a back and forth race. He's now racing in Moto America. Be prepared to be humbled.

EB2058A8-2EBD-4645-AD79-FF3241DEB540.jpeg
    vsvn, Dtx915, _mtg_ and 9 others like this.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totaled out CBR 600 R.
    Yeah I ain't found anyone that can hang with me when I ride alone either.
    Overdog, sodapop, tire joe and 7 others like this.
  4. redneckK20

Oddometer:
    I may eventually want to move up to racing in some minor classes if I can afford it. I don't know if a 300 would scratch my itch enough, I thought either an SV or an FZ07 if I could find one cheap. Problem is the track is going to be long and fast, I didn't know if pegging a 650 at 120 mph for a decent amount of the track would get boring. I thought a 600 supersport might be too much, but at the same time it would probably be a once and done purchase without the desire to upgrade after a few years.
  5. redneckK20

Oddometer:
    Lol, should have specified. With the 40-50 people I have ridden twisty roads with over the years, I've always had to do a decent amount of waiting around.

I like the CBR600 idea, working at a Honda dealer makes it kind of the obvious choice. My only experience with one was a very early CBR600RR that was a little small for me, but could probably be resolved pretty easy.
  6. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Dude, take a full serving of humble pie! :)
    Tell the class what you and Draik were riding
  7. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Nothing is faster thru a corner than an RS125. Big motors only shorten the straights. A little bike will teach you corner speed and mid corner line control.
    Dtx915, dtysdalx2, JeffPM and 5 others like this.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Sweet! Is this Draiks dad? What a great kid, I hope he's doing great. So I was on an RZ350 and Draik was riding a 250 Ninja. It was probably one of the best races of my piddling career. He raced me fast and clean through the entire battle. After the race we met in the pits and shook hands...and I wanted to know who this kid was!
    redneckK20 likes this.
  9. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:

I wanted you get all of the story out to show it isn’t all about bike size on the track.
    I’m not related to them, but know both. They’re both definitely stand up Gent’s who corner low.
    rd400racer likes this.
  10. redneckK20

Oddometer:
    I'm not trying to set the world on fire, I just want to go have fun and not get bored quickly or want to upgrade too soon.

If I had the tools and time, a dream track bike would be a mostly stock Banshee motor into an R3 or similar chassis. But my budget and skills won't allow for that for quite a while.
    rd400racer likes this.
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, his father was one of the best pit dad's I've ever met. It was about Draik, not him.

And I can tell you're a true WERA faithful:D
  12. mr bones

mr bones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A dedicated track bike is the go. Something like an SV 650 or a 4 cyl 600. One modern enough that parts and easy to get but cheap. There's no need to buy the latest wiz bang bike. You'll have as much fun on something cheaper and a few years old.
    I raced a 95 GSXR 750 for a few years it was great fun. And passing the lads on 40k modern bikes was quite rewarding
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I haven't either...

It's just when someone else shows up, that's better, that I have problems... :imaposer
    sieg and rd400racer like this.
  14. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    My first thought was an SV650 also, but you might need some good luck finding a clean example. There are plenty of upgrades still available if you want to go that route as you get experience.

Starting out, stock motors are best. You want dependability to maximize your track time.

A new R7 sure would be nice though.
    redneckK20 likes this.
  15. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I started with an SV650S and then bought a couple wrecked SV1Ks (no titles) and built a dedicated track bike. Really liked the V-twins for Jennings (2 mile course). Some of my funnest sessions were on Ninja 250’s and DRZs, when everyone else was riding the same bikes.
    redneckK20 likes this.
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go to a local race weekend and see what there’s the most of.

no matter what youre riding, as long as you’re racing somebody, is when you’ll have the most fun.
    Vertical C, squish and redneckK20 like this.
  17. redneckK20

Oddometer:
    The track actually hasn't even opened yet, so I'm probably way ahead of myself. I might have to just take my 790r Adv the first time to get a feel for it and see if it's something I'll want to do. Knowing myself, I'll probably be hooked the first lap.
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    First Generation Tuono. Great chassis and smooth reliable power. And cheap these days.
    redneckK20 likes this.
  19. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    If the track ends up havin a good number of entries in the 300 class, get that.

Face it, you are a race noob. No need for power at this point. You will more than shit yer pants when squeezed by a pack of 4 other guys in a tight section as you are learning.

The small displacement classes are much tighter than the big classes. Especially in novice class. You learn to carry speed through the apex and ride a much smoother line to do well in lightweight classes.

Todays 300's are like factory works racers compared to what all of us who raced ancient Yam RD's back in the day had to learn on.

Scan 2.jpeg

Scan 1.jpeg

Scan 3.jpeg
    1 wheel peel, DC950, rixcafe and 11 others like this.