First time track bike?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by redneckK20, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Stravoxylo

Stravoxylo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Find your local track day org and join their forum. Get to know some local track day riders and racers. They usually have a classified section with track bikes of all displacements for sale. Many have all the track bits on them already, and they are usually reasonably priced. I bought a couple of track bikes that way, and met riders that became friends.
    Edit to add: I second the SV650, kwak 300/400/650, Yam fz7.
    Your learning curve will be faster on a smaller displacement bike.
    redneckK20 likes this.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Nailed it.

SV650. Don't move up to a 600 I-4 till you can hang with them with only 75hp.
    Big John Sny and redneckK20 like this.
  3. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The majority of racing (outside of a drag strip) isn’t spent pinning the throttle on a straight, its braking, setting up for a corner, hitting the apex, and trying to hook up on the exit. There are generally more corners on a track than straights. Smaller displacement means lighter weight means quicker thru the corners. Muzzle the bravado and learn the intricacies of track riding.
    Gone Troppo and redneckK20 like this.
  4. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I am not a track rider. But I have plenty of friends who love it and have had long talks with plenty of riders who have single digit number plates.

every single one of them started their track riding on smaller bikes. Many of them rode /ride flat track as well.

a number of them still even participate in small bike class racing, like 50cc endurance racing on go cart tracks.

because it’s fun.

I say get a small bike like a 300cc or an sv650. And get a CRF100 or 150 shod it with some dirt track wheels and tires and start learning how to go slideways without a lot of traction.
    There are a lot more dirt tracks then road courses, even today.

I don’t know if it’s still a thing but supermoto was also a very cheap way to get some track time and it gives you a little of dirt and a little of street.
  5. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    LOL, some things are destined to live forever.

OP, I like the 600 idea. You don't need anything new either. Anything from the late 90s on will work just fine. My favorite track bike is a '98 CBR600. Best handling bike I've ever owned.

If you don't want to start on a 600, I wouldn't go any "lower" than an SV650, or maybe a Ninja 650 or MT-07. It seems like a good idea to learn on a Ninja 250 or similar, and it would be if you were riding with a bunch of other Ninja 250s. But you'll be riding with some assclown in the novice class on a liter bike who can generate almost 100 mph of closure on your Ninja 250 at the end of a long straightaway. Closure he's in no way prepared to handle.
  6. Tenacious B

Tenacious B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got into minibikes last year and started endurance racing them this year. Stupidly fun and a better learning tool than any big bike. I got rid of my 600 and 1000 and replaced them with an RS125 (CR85 motor) that I can run at the larger kart tracks and still be just fast enough for the big tracks since it will top out around 100mph like the 300s do. But it weighs half of what a 300 does and is a legit GP chassis, so the handling is downright magical.

Supermotos are still very much a thing, but they caught on and are not so cheap anymore. It is actually easier to find a decent 600 under 4k (or even 3k) than a supermoto.

For full size bikes, I agree with everyone else to get an SV650 or smaller to hone the skills.
    Big John Sny and squish like this.
  7. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

Agreed !

We had a small and technical practice track in Montana. It was open track a few days a week. I think it had a dozen turns and just about under 1 mile a lap.

One of the absolute fastest bikes there for lap times was a Moriwaki 80. I couldnt touch him with my TZR 250, even with race slicks. Another of the top ten fastest lap times was a KX 125 MXer with street tires. Only the best supermoto bikes could hang with those guys.

Nobody on a litre bike was close, most 600's were way off the pace.

If the Moriwaki had been a 125, it woulda really had the upper hand.

One of the best riders there would borrow his wifes 250 Ninja and come within a second of the lap record .

https://raresportbikesforsale.com/category/moriwaki-2/

phughes, dtysdalx2 and Tenacious B like this.
  8. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate all the good input. Here is the track that should getting pretty close to completion at this point.

https://racer.com/2020/12/02/ozarks-international-raceway-aiming-for-2021-launch/

It's long and wide, I will get a 650/700 twin at the minimum. I don't think I'll race, but if I do I can always cross that bridge later. I've wanted to ride on a track for 10 years now, I might have a chance before too long.
  9. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I did a couple track days on my FZ6 back in ~2014. The following year I wanted to do more track days, but didn’t want to have to prep the FZ6 each time (even though the required prep is minimal for my TD org).

I searched the classifieds for a low budget 650 twin or a 600 i4, wasn’t being picky. I found a 99 CBR600F4 listed for $1200. It idled rough, plastics were missing, and the rear tire had a huge flat spot from burnouts. Got it for $800. Spent a few hundred bucks changing the fluids, replacing the brakes/chain/sprockets, and new rear tire. Got it mechanically 100% and rode it that season as a naked “streetfighter” and had a blast. The following winter I found a used Penske shock on eBay, had that refreshed and got proper fork springs for my weight.

I shouldn’t have sold it, I was super comfortable on that bike. I found it mentally a lot easier to ride on track A) on a bike that I knew I didn’t have a lot of money invested in, and B) knowing that if I did have an incident, I’d still be able to ride my FZ6 to work the following Monday.

Attached Files:

redneckK20, jjjjjjay and sieg like this.
  10. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dedicated track bike.
    Aprilia RS250

IMG_0550.JPG
    sodapop, OConnor, mumu37 and 7 others like this.
  11. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Wow !

That track is gonna be a real high speed pants shitter ! :clap

Im glad I had to spend my time dodgeing the turtles when it rained at Mid America raceway near Wentzville instead. :lol3

The blind sight lines with the up and down will make it hard to learn and see what to aim for up ahead. Gonna be a steep learning curve with lots of scraped up plastics and leathers for a noob on a 600 or bigger ! :lol2

redneckK20 likes this.
  12. Liko

Liko English is my 2nd legume

Oddometer:
    I had a FZ400. That size just seemed to be right on the money.

Right up until I rag-doll'd myself ... aaaaaaaaand that's how track days come to an end.

Hang with other riders. Ride everything that is offered to you. The perfect bike for you may not be the bike you think you need. But mostly, ride your skill, not your pride.
    redneckK20 likes this.
  13. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, get something that you won't be afraid to throw down the road.

You can be having an epic ride and someone takes you out.

I have a house to pay for so I can't be injured. :kurt

My excuse at least. :D
    villageidiot likes this.
  14. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go on Craigslist/Facebook market. Set your price for $500-$1500. Get the most sport-bike like 600-750cc thing you can. Race the shit out of it.

I don't have many track days under my belt, but I've ridden enough to know, it ain't the bike :lol3
    redneckK20 likes this.
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's an idea of what's for sale at the WERA classifieds. Is always better to buy one that's already set up rather than doing it yourself.

9350CB23-DC07-48D9-AA4B-D4CA64287417.png
  17. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    I think y'all are overwhelming the OP. But yeah, that SV would be excellent.
  18. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that is ugly as a mud fence. :D
    alekkas and rd400racer like this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a can of Krylon away from being a beauty :lol3
    alekkas and villageidiot like this.
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter