First time track bike?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by redneckK20, Jun 19, 2021.

1. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been riding a while and I ride like a dumbass sometimes, I guarantee my track bike will hit the ground. That SV seems waaaay too cheap for the money invested in it, but would also be 100% ready to go. I'm digging the super cheap older 600 idea just for the extra power and grin factor.

I know this track looks pretty hairy with blind rolling corners, but riding a lot of Missouri backroads has me pretty prepared for last minute and mid corner line adjustments.

I appreciate all the input guys, keep it coming in. If I could find an RS250 or something similar for reasonable money, I'd be all for it. I'm currently working on 2 different older Chevy trucks that I own so I don't have a huge budget.
    busa1300 likes this.
  2. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ninja 250's are cheap in every way - purchase price, tires, gas, everything. Around here a decent, fully race-prepped example is about $2500. It's also a fairly popular class - we've had as many as 14 bikes in races so far this year.

You'll learn all about lines, momentum, dicing in a pack, and the consequences of even small errors - you can't fix a mistake with a big blast of right wrist. Really fun on track days to pass bigger, braggier bikes in the corners. Of course, many of them blow by you on the straights, but that just means that you get to pass them again next lap.
  3. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    My CBR600F4 was the perfect track bike
    redneckK20 and sieg like this.
  4. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SV650's, GSXR's(01 or newer, 650/750), CBR600's(F4 or RR), all are fairly reliable and many parts interchange, especially Suzuki models, fast tracks, even on a 650/700 twin, closing speeds on big straights still could be a problem. I tracked an 05 GSXR750 for up until 2015, usually about 5-7 times a season, bike still runs fine, if my body could take it, I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country. one of my friends put over 20,000 miles on an 07 CBR600rr, never skipped a beat, tires, suspension, consumables, and regular service. That's what good about track days, reliable bike with decent brakes and suspension will teach you a lot about riding, some people get caught up in being fastest, they want to win a track day, get with a good organization, that curbs these types and it will be fun. The dedicated bike with spares, extra pegs, levers, and bars, is the way to go, a minor get off may be easily fixed and you can keep riding. Hope the new track will be fun, if you can take some track training or get with a good control rider who will help you when you hit barriers mental or physical that limit your development as a rider.
    redneckK20 likes this.
  5. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Yep. I put 600 street miles on a f4i, put race plastics and tires on it and started doing track days. Did the suspension, left the rest alone.

I remember when I newly Advanced, beating a few guys on 1000’s in the corners, and a dude with beater leathers and a beater sv650, passed me on a left hander, on the outside.:lol3

My advice? Buy a bike you won’t mind biffing. 600 I-4 or 650 twin or smaller.
  6. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Ed Lato?
  7. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride track days 4-7 times every year. Started on a 390 Duke and am on a Z800 now. The most popular bikes on the track are the RC390/Ninja 300-400/ SV650 and they are in the advanced classes along with the instructors all having them. Everyone starts with a 600-1000 bikes and then moves to a smaller bike when they really want to learn the craft. I only hit 130-135 once each lap so its all the other corners I care about.
    We do class after each session and learn every time out. Most folks never race but those who do get better results. Coming from a flat track background along with MX/GP woods racing I had a lot to learn. One thing I do is better brakes and tires along with suspension and extra rain tires mounted, rain is the most fun and almost like ice racing with all that traction.
    Spend money on good gear first but you need not go broke as used stuff on line goes cheap enough as most folks don't stay in with it long, hey its expensive. Ride loose and have fun ! 2020_08-02_TTD_Palmer_YELgp_070.jpg
    Dao1, ZiaThunder, sieg and 1 other person like this.
  8. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    I've raced all over for many years... now I just instruct for various groups. You'll get better faster on a smaller bike, I've raced 250s, 600s and liter bikes... I had way more fun and better races on the smaller bikes. The bigger bikes teach riders to be lazy. Go do some good schools like YCRS to learn proper techniques.

I've seen a number of ninja 250 for sale rather cheap recently. Keep in mind that on the bigger bikes, as you get faster, it gets more expensive, as you burn through tires quicker. The smaller bikes, the tires are cheaper and they don't require new ones as often. The largest expenses in racing are TIRES, gas to get to the track, and entry fees. Well, as long as you aren't a crasher. I wasn't. I only crashed every couple of years. It was always a shock to those I raced when I would screw up and crash.

If you do crash a lot. You can count on it being about 3K to return the bike to post crash status, if you aren't hurt. If you get hurt than it usually only costs about 100 bucks to fix the bike, but your medical bills will often be at least 20K. Smaller bikes are usually cheaper to fix.
  9. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most guy and gals that toss a bike never came to class or failed to warm up the tires and crash first lap. We are on track 15 min each hour so warmers are a PITA most times. The Q3+ or the Pirelli SC3 are the tires most used as the heat up quickly and until you advance to the top class work well. I love when it rains but those rain tires need two laps, our guys go 1/2 hour sessions one with street tires and the other with rains. I learned more on street tires in the rain than any other time on the track. First time on rains I was picking up 2-5 seconds each lap as I got comfortable with them, its like cheating. Nice thing is most guys park it during a rain run so traffic is really light and I get to work on some line that was giving me a problem or try a suggested one from class.
  10. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can't afford to miss work due to injuries then don't get on a track.
  11. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aflac !
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  12. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Now that's an idea! :lol3 Tried it. Not offered where I work. Boooo.

[​IMG]
    Dtx915 likes this.
  13. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    AFLAC also won’t cover it if there is any sort of purse money.
    Dtx915 likes this.
  14. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    I tried supermoto racing a few years back. Absolutely my favorite racing hands down.
    Dtx915 likes this.
  15. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Gotta read the fine print! First hand experience?
    Dtx915 likes this.
  16. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    it was a bicycle accident, honest
  17. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    oh yeah!!!
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  18. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    hard to do that when they cut race leathers off ya!
  19. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    aflac dose not know that, its not how that works. I just cancelled mine this month as I am now retired and without a job I do not qualify. What they have been doing is selling direct as companies complain they are not getting anything from it other than paperwork so I paid mine directly to them. I used them a few times over the years for broken bones and a surgery and other than me bringing the doctor one more paper to sign its no big deal.
  20. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    20years ago things may have been different. They denied my claim due to “competition injury”

the division I was riding at the time paid good too! $100 for first, $75 second, $60 3rd, and $0 4th :photog
    busa1300, dtysdalx2 and Dtx915 like this.