First time track bike?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by redneckK20, Jun 19, 2021.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about that one at the back with the hemi and supercharger? I think I'd like to hear it and go for a ride. :nod
    busa1300 likes this.
  2. DAVE94LIGHTNING

DAVE94LIGHTNING Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the perfect track bike for me right now. Super cheap to maintain, runs hard, handles great and is a blast to ride.

Dtx915 likes this.
  3. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Geez, even more there... What appears to be a nicel 79 CBX! You need a video of the garage! Love it.
  5. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    you need to read his thread in SAR. It’s all there
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gladius. SV650 wearing a dress :). Should be inexpensive, slightly better engine than the older SV's.

And extra fun, passing other riders on a chick's bike.

Oh, and I have access to a couple of RS250's, I can't recommend them because you need to know what you are doing to get them to sing but if you can tune 2-strokes those things are wicked fast. They'll certainly teach you how (scary) fast a bike can corner.
    craigincali likes this.
  7. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    I have raced and owned many track bikes. From Honda 125s, a Moriwaki 80, TZ 250, Aprilias etc. My 2 favorite bikes are the Yamaha TZ250 and the Suzuki SV650.

The Suzuki is a great bike. Great power but not too much, great handling and easy to maintain. IMO the best track bike. It is also a great race bike because it fits into many classes. Oh yeah, they are cheap too
    Dao1 and Dtx915 like this.
  8. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    as has been said many times in this thread, the right answer is a Ninja 250. I was a WERA expert at one time and wish I had started that way. A friend of mine started racing WERA on a Ducati 999, went through a couple of other bikes, and ended up where he should have started - Ninja 250. He learned more, had more fun, and was faster in his class on the 250 than anything else.

It's almost the same principle that the best street riders started out on the dirt. Why is this so? IMHO because they are so comfortable on the bike, especially when things get a bit out of line. If you want to learn to ride on dirt, don't buy a GS to do it on. Same thing for the track - smaller is better.
    ZiaThunder and Dtx915 like this.