First Timer on website

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BEC, Mar 28, 2005.

1. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Need some help with a few things.
    I am planning a trip all the way around Australia by myself without a support car/truck in about 4 months give or take. My path is from Sydney down to Melbourne to Taz back up to Sydney to get the bike checked and looked over. Then up the gold coast to Cairns across the NT to the Kimberlies down the western coast to Perth.

Questions:
    1. What bike to buy in Sydney to make the adventure with.
    2. Type of panniers to buy and use
    3. Is my timing right (June - October) for the trip
    4. The unexpected!!!!!!!!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or call my mobile in the US at 303-921-6084

If I end up seeing you along the way I will assume I our you a beer for the advice.

Thanks, Brian
  2. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    How long is that bit of string??????

What is your
    riding experience?
    expectation for the trip? Dirt roads/mohills/hills/mountains/vertical rises/falls?
    Budget - bike/trip?
    previous bikes that you liked?
    Motorcycle repair expertise? none/oil changes only, tyres calnbles and tuning, anything other than inside the cases or main barings, I'll try anything... ?
    Camping, pubs and or motels?
    Buying all food cooked or cooking yourself?

In order to give some useful answer you need to supply a lot more info...

3 months .. you could spend one month in Tassie alone, yer not going to see much if you stick to that timetable. I took 2 months for the kimberlies .. and there is still much more for me to see up there.
  3. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience has been on a suzuki sv650 (owned) and I riden everything from a BMW to a Honda.
    My expectations are 70% pavement 30% dirt road unless I am hiving fun :)
    Budget - $20k for bike and $1000 for food and accomodation a month. I have bugeted plenty for the the gas and other stuff.
    I like the GS1200, Suzuki DL1000 Vstrom, Triumph Tiger, KTM 950 and if I was only on pavement the FJR1300.
    Repair expertise - your funny, I can change oil, fix tire and I am willing to learn as I go.
    I will be camping and staying in hostels.
    Food - combination of everything.

I have an entire year if I want to take it but I thought I would be able to be in Perth within 6 months or so.

So what do you think.

Brian

What is your
    riding experience?
    expectation for the trip? Dirt roads/mohills/hills/mountains/vertical rises/falls?
    Budget - bike/trip?
    previous bikes that you liked?
    Motorcycle repair expertise? none/oil changes only, tyres calnbles and tuning, anything other than inside the cases or main barings, I'll try anything... ?
    Camping, pubs and or motels?
    Buying all food cooked or cooking yourself?

In order to give some useful answer you need to supply a lot more info...

3 months .. you could spend one month in Tassie alone, yer not going to see much if you stick to that timetable. I took 2 months for the kimberlies .. and there is still much more for me to see up there.
  4. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    :1drink
    Goodo.

Humm $1000 a month that is $250 a week ... about $30 a day. Aint that much for food and accomodation. Camping can be $15 a night .. that leaves $15 a day for food. Looks like you'll be finding state forests to camp in - they are free. And there are some other free ones around - ask at any tourist office you see on yer way arond. Oh and ask caravaners - they have a good grape vine goin on.

On the bike - I'd be goin second hand .. save some money for emergencies like tyres that ware out (and beer) ... say $12k for a R11GS? You might even get it with luggage?

June is a little short on the daylight front ... short days and long nights. Startin in August on might be better - take a look at the bom site for the weather - look for days of rain -not the total rain .. don't usually care what rate it comes down at just the number of days per month yer have to put up with it. www.bom.gov.au I think.

Enought from me .. someone else?

Edit - what is wrong with takin the SV around? Some wider bars?
  5. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you weren't planning to do too much technical dirt a DL650 might be worth looking at. They retail for $9,990 in Oz and are ideal for many of the back roads and gravel tracks around here. Because they are relatively new to the market there isn't a stack of them to flood the second hand market either so you would probably be able to off load it at the end of the trip pretty easily.

$1,000 a month would make things pretty tight unless you were a very self sufficient camper. Like Frank said many of the popular areas will see you paying a reasonable amount for a camp site each night so a cheaper bike like the 650 V-Strom might make a bit of sense? Suzuki dealers are also a lot more common throughout Australia than BM dealerships so that might be a deciding factor.

Whatever you decide on, Australia is a fantastic place so hopefully you will enjoy the trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have played around the website and it seems that a lot of people have complained about the BMW GS models. I like the look of the new GS1200 but I have read a lot of complaints about the front end, final drive and the price. All I want is a comfortable bike to ride 80% on road and 20% off meaning dirt road. I like the DL1000 (V-strom) beacause I use to ride the SV650, it feels like a big brother with the same v-twin concept. Although the question is how well will it do on dirt roads. I like the KTM950 but I hear that all KTM's require a lot of maintenance. The tiger is the other option but I hear mixed reviews from all different aspects. Which brings me back to the bike I realy like if I were on the pavement 100% the Yamaha FJR1300. This is the hardest part, picking the bike to buy. I just want the best bike for the job and to be comfortable. To many options.
  7. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Why did you get rid of the SV? Too slow?

Were you comfortable on it on dirt roads?

The single cyc DR650 might be an option. If you can tolerate the lack of top speed (that you won't use anyway due to the fuel consumption costing you money at speed).

People have toured the world on all sortsa motorcycles - R1, HD, moped... it can all be done if you really want too.

Edit - on the 'lot of problems' - what you see here are the problems - not the ones without problems... so take it as advice on what could happen .. but not to everyone. OK?
  8. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Last time I was in Australia was 1986 and I'm also hoping to come over this year, around August.
    I have a 650 V-Strom now and I think Burren Rider is
    giving you a good suggestion.
    If you were at all happy with the SV then you will
    already know the wee strom.
    I'm going to buy a new 650 V-Strom once I get there, I'll bring
    with me some goodies from the US to outfit the bike like Jesse bags
    and then sell the whole kitted bike when I leave, might help reduce my overall costs.

Make any sense to you guys?
  9. GlobeTrotter

GlobeTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow... the trip you describe is my absolute dream ride! I've always been facinated by Australia and finally made it down there for my Honeymoon in Dec. '03. Only got to spend three weeks and just barely scratched the surface on the East Coast. I wished I had my GS Adventure with me every single day but it wasn't one of "those" trips according to the wife. Oz is an absolutely beautiful country with super friendly people... you will have a blast! Have a great time and hope to see some ride reports here in ADVRIDER. :thumb
  10. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
  11. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    One month in Tassie -

that would be
    2 weeks of rain - tar burning from place to place, pubs, beer tours, cholate tours, measuems, railway trips, boat crusies, etc
    2 weeks of ridin dirt, bush walkin, ...
    Think yurd find those would be fairly full weeks...

Hell I could spend a month or two in the Vic high country - no worries!

SBSP - yer going to the next Off Centre? Benn a thinkin that the gary hwy might be interesting ... been on the gunbarrel so the gary is a bit further north and I have not done that one so...
  12. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice guys. Well I have a month to plan this little baby of mine and off I go. Concerning money Frank, I have extra so that should not be a problem. I lived in Newcastle for 9months while in university, so I kinda have a little feeling about the trip. My time line is very flexible so I am not worried. My only real problem is selling my car here in the US and deciding which bike to buy once I get there. I have to know before hand because I want to buy my panniers and top case here in the US, its cheaper I found. Will most likely go with jesse bags and top case if I can get it for the bike choose. It seems that the Suzuki DL650 and DL1000 are the best value. Although, most people seem to own a BMW GS1100/1150/1200. My only real negative point on the GS is the price and the new 1200 has not seemed to have proven itself yet to the world. If I were to be in the outback the majority of the time I think I would buy the KTM950 but I will be mostly on the coastly road with the occasional side dirt road trip.
  13. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    I rode an 1100 GS for years and don't have any regrets about the wee strom, you will save a bunch of money.
    Buy the stuff I put on mine and head to OZ.
    [​IMG]

Outfit the 650 you buy and ride, ride ride.
    When you are finished with the trip, sell the kitted bike and see how you faired.
    Then let me know, so I can follow in August. :D
  14. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Also buy the camping and riding gear there. I'd buy the helmut here - you don't want that thrown around by baggage handlers, but it is your choice .. you could take it as carry on luggage. Just a PIA to carry.

Maps your better off buying here .. westprint and hemma are good.
  15. Godders

Godders Crazy Pom in Aus

Oddometer:
    Just something to think about.

When i was looking at getting the Wee-Strom about 7mths ago, there was a 3mth wait in Australia due to demand outstripping supply, Due to trasnport issues (lack of) I went for a KLR650 instead, these can be had for $8000AUD inc on-road.

Sounds like a great trip & your definately doing the right thing about organising luggage back home - no where near the choice available here & much more $$ too.

I'm in Brissy & if your passing this way, pm me & your more than welcome to say G'day :freaky

It's a great position for you to be in, what about a Transalp instead if there are DL availability issues??.....Just a thought. Whatever you decide it will be a great ADVenture.
  16. philschl

philschl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, just to pour some petrol on the fire :D. I've got an R11GS and it's served me well. Distances here are long, and the comfort of 'The Barge' is unbeatable. But like it's been said before, it's what you're most comfortable with.

Look at prices and availability of new and used bikes here:
    www.tradingpost.com.au
    www.bikepoint.com.au

I'm relative new to Oz (three years now) and have managed to clock up about 150,000km in that time on an F650, VFR750, CBR1100, VTR1000, CBR600 and the venerable R11GS. The 11GS is most definately the most fun, and if you're a little bit prudent you'll manage to stay outta jail....:D

Phil
  17. Godders

Godders Crazy Pom in Aus

Oddometer:
    Holy crap....do you work??? :huh
    Love the mileage!!!
  18. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Yes frank - Heading there, George and Lindsay are in the planning stages now - taking about 6 weeks this time. Not sure on route - at this stage. George has done the Canning a few times and the Bungles on an old BSA!!!!! so the route should be interesting - Want to tag along in June for a short one across the Simpson ?- doing the WAA line he's doing it on a R80GS with his Pillion though he just rode the Adventure and is in Love with it, so much so its in his garage and I need to pack for Philip Island in about 30 minutes -

You heading off to Dave Blunns weekend in April that is mentioned in the BMW news?
  19. rookiller

rookiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the never-never of Germany soon Australia
    Hello Brian,

i had some (~10ks in sealed road / 15tks Gravel dirt tracks) experience in OZ on a 640KTM.

In my garage i leaved a GS1100R because:

1. too heavy
    2. to much electric parts
    3. too thirsty in sand ( ~10l when you reach the top of the 4 valve)

so i got a 640R with 32 liter Adventure Tank
    alu cases to repair / dry / and sit on it
    my luggage was at the start much tooo much!! please seperate it!!!
    a roll from ortlieb and 2 cases with a tankbag that is much space for all
    incl. food spare parts and so on.

I could repair all by my self and the KTM had, from a hard crash down ( broken tail frame), because i was not proffesional in mud, nearly no problems all the time.

OK you must check air filter / the cab / muffler was burning out/ chain & stuff like that is normal.

My!! result for the KTM 640 is this:

Really much fun on over 70% on the trip , perfect to visit fraser island and the outback,
    not comfortable on sealed roads ( and it was not the comp!!version)
    The vibrations over a long day are a bit boring. After 10hrs. But i like the bike and at least it was a perfect choice for me.

[​IMG]

I took her with me by plane

[​IMG]

and back via sea fright

[​IMG]

My Travel Partner took the heavy baby from Honda the African Twin 750. What a nice feeling to pic it up in the sand.

[​IMG]

The 750ty on her favorite ground :-O Loks a little bit like a light truck !?

But the most importand thing is

WHAT DID YOUR HEAD WANT TO RIDE FOR THE TRIP !??

You want to go off road? Australia is the best country i know to do it!!

Or you make a long distance test for a Manufacterer on sealed roads?

That`s the most importand question for your choice.

I think a light V Storm (650 not the big one , too heavy) could give a good fun at all areas and the money is not too high for that bike.

may be see ya in oz in 2005 i get to there in the late summer

markus alias roo
  20. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a awesome website. I have learned so much in 5 days. Thought, is there a real advantage to have a 1000+cc bike verse a 650cc? In Australia, is your insurance cost based on the engine size of the bike.

Also, JKAM "Homeless Dude", is that a jesse top case on your DL650. Also, what kind of tank pennies are those, any other stuff added to your DL650. How do the knobbies work, think I may need those once I get to Darwin down to Alice Springs and in the Kimberlies.

Comments