First Timer on website

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BEC, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Godders

Godders Crazy Pom in Aus

Oddometer:
    insurance is based on engine cc + other factors, age location etc etc - not sure if they will charge a premium for not having Aussie licence, i don't believe so? The only advantage will be easier to mantain higher crusin' speed however the most common limit is 100 or 110KPH & the 650 will cope with that.....personal choice i think at the end of the day
  2. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Errr NO.

Darwin down to Alice Springs and to the Kimberlies ... lots of tar. Hot tar. A tourance or similar for this bit I would think. Unless your taking station tracks. And you would need lots of permission and local knowledge for that. There are a few side tracks that can be had .. but they are a very small proportion of the total distance. For the kimberlies .. knobbies or road trail tyres (Siracs or similar) would be good. MC shops in Brome and Kununurra would be the places to change tyres...
  3. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my VISA the other day and my international driving permit. I'm soooo stoked. I can not wait to get down there. I have about 6 weeks to go. I have decided to buy the Suzuki DL650 because of three things: reliability, power to weight ratio, and price. I am going to kinda mirror image JayK's DL650. I plan to bring down with me jesse luggage and topbox, tank bag, taller windshield, skid plate, hand gaurds, and engine gaurds. Along with all my other crap to live for 6 months on my bike. I decided to buy the BMW Rallye2 Jacket and Pants. What else, oh, does anyone want to join me on any of the ridding strips? Thanks for all of your insights and thanks to this web page I learned a lot about everything although I still have a lot to learn. I know Australia is a crazy place and very dangerous. If anyone has any more advice for me do not be shy.
  4. KTMROB

KTMROB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some great riding between Sydney and Melbourne if you avoid the main highways and stick to the mountain roads. Sounds like you need a way to keep in touch if you want to meet up with people on the way round. I would be happy to ride a few trails with you when you get down to Melbourne way, probably some of the best riding you will find anywhere.
  5. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will have a laptop with me. :)
  6. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks sometime dirt squirter

Oddometer:
    Would second that, went for a one day, 11.5 hour ride through the Wonnagatta Valley from Myrtleford at the start of the year. Absolutely brilliant riding, couldn't get the smile off my face!
  7. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gents,
    One of the last things I need to get is health Insurance. I was told that Medi Bank Private Healthcare was a good choice. Any one have there website or telephone number?
  8. lemmiwinks

Oddometer:
    http://www.medibank.com.au/ We like to keep it simple :thumb
  9. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

Is there any other websites/forums out there that assies reply to and I can gain additional infor?
  10. lemmiwinks

Oddometer:
    The only other one I really know of is the Oz Adventure riders mailing list. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oz_adventure_riders/ You dont need a yahoo account to subscribe to the list. It's probably a better source of info for Australia than this IMO.

Cheers,
    Ash
  11. BEC

BEC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear there is problems getting on or becoming a member!!
  12. lemmiwinks

Oddometer:
    No, not really. RTO (the list moderator) has a life so he doesn't always catch every email that comes through. ATGreg is also a moderator so he can add you anyway. You can also read the archivies from that link i posted, you just cannot post a message to the list until you join.

Cheers,
    Ash
  13. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    No problems these days, Ron who started the list used to only get to it occasionally so approving new members sometimes was a problem. Nowadays I help Ron do the list housekeeping and Im on the computer everyday so it's no problem anymore.

The list is a great resource and you'll get to meet heaps of people through it if you post you are coming and your rough route. However being a mail list rather than a board there's a bit of sifting the crap to get the stuff that interests you.

What rough time are you planning to be in Sydney ??, I can organise a ride while you are here.

catch ya
    Greg
  14. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :lurk

someday...

:ricky
  15. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Boeing Johnny? - nice place Everett
  16. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    look I love my KLR650 for this type of ride......and you could easily save $12K++ over a GS etc

I haven't been to OZ yet....so maybe the KLRs are not there?.....but hey.....it seems like a good one to consider...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72219
  17. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Yep - we have them.. and Suki 650DRs. Honda TA650s .. dominators .. SV650s etc

Would you ride your KLR around the states? As in OZ is about the same size as mainlind USA, so the ride is about the same distance.
  18. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Boeing? The 777 plant is just down the road...

Nice avatar...Hypnotizing even...
  19. Dances With Roos

Dances With Roos Bikenomad

Oddometer:
    Hi Brian,

I am a happy Triumph Tiger Owner, and new member, if there is any thing you wish to know or questions / concerns regarding the Tiger feel free to E-mail me.

So far I'm very happy with mine, only a few small bugs easily fixed, also much more capable off road than they look, very comfortable and commutes effortlessly as well.

What ever you decide on I'm sure you'll enjoy the journey.

Cheers Brett.
  20. KTMROB

KTMROB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Medibank Private not an option for a traveller. Need to sign up a 12 month travel insurance policy with medical cover before you leave USA or at least through your travel agent. Cant do it here.