First trip on first bike.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by codeDirtyToMe, Oct 23, 2018.

?

Will I survive?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2018.
  1. Maybe.

83.8%
  2. Nope.

16.2%
  1. brando4905

brando4905 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah, man! You got this. Since you won’t disclose the location of your first ride, and me judging by your description of temps and I see you’re in NC, there’s a chance you’ll be somewhere in WNC. If you get out there and have any trouble, shoot me a PM if you need a hand. Good luck!!
    Perazzi, codeDirtyToMe and bobw like this.
  2. Essbee

Essbee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck and well done! And, yes, damm good choice of scoot! I stopped riding for 19 years and when I got back into it I cursed myself something silly....ffs two decades of my life partially wasted! Actually, I wanted to buy a cheap chinese scooter for commuting and that idea mutated somewhat and I bought a KTM640.
  3. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:

Excellent mutation!! :rofl

:beer
    Essbee, codeDirtyToMe and thechief86 like this.
  4. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big day of changes.

The good:

The bike is ready and waiting for me.
    It needs a name. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards "Slam Pig".

Got my new helmet and jacket. It's an icon airflite (quicksilver) and a sedici adv jacket. Gotta say I put my trust in the sales guy when it came to the jacket, and I think he done me good. It has two removable liners. One for water and another thermal. Super comfy and warm. Well, we'll see how it does on the trip. He also guessed that I was prior military and that saved me almost $100 in discounts. I slipped him $20. Spread the wealth, right?

Insurance is entirely completed.

Ended up going with a different seller all the way in Charlotte NC. This means the trip is closer to 130 miles or so.

The weather looks like there will now be no rain, but it will be chillier in the morning. I suspect it may be around 43 F by the time I roll out, but the high will be in the 60s.

The bad:
    My gloves never arrived, but I have some other cold weather gloves that will do. If they don't do, I'll drop by a gas station and get some of those hand warmers to stuff my gloves with.

The route:
    For anyone wondering, I had originally decided to keep the route secret simply because I didn't want someone going and buying the bike I was looking at. Doesn't really matter now that I ended up getting a brand new 2019 DR650 from a different dealer for a lower price.

It is mostly going to be US 64-E and NC-49 N for 3 hours. However, I plan on taking any and all detours that present themselves. In fact, it passes near Uwharrie National Forest. I went mountain biking there just a few months ago. I will have to see about riding through there on the way home.

I'll be making just one more post on this thread Saturday or Sunday evening.

Attached Files:

SuperChuck likes this.
  5. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't mentioned it yet, but here's a perfect opportunity. Let me start by saying that I'm a man of many hobbies. Probably too many. Here's the short list:
    Programming
    Computer security
    Lock picking
    Auto repair
    Electronics (Arduino and Raspberry Pi stuff)
    Firearms
    Mountain biking
    Carpentry

These activities, like any other activity, have communities of people. Now, not all of the activities I listed here apply to what I'm about to say, but most do, especially the computer security and mountain biking communities. From my experience, these communities are extremely toxic and uninviting to new members and even to more experienced members. This is the only hobby I have where I have so far experienced absolutely nothing but helpful advice and welcoming comments. Some may be accustomed to this kind of friendly atmosphere, but I am most certainly not. So, let me sincerely thank you for your offer. It is genuinely appreciated and I will do everything to reciprocate this attitude to any who will accept it.
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Instead of that, just wear thin nitrile gloves as a liners - i guarantee you will be uncomfortably hot in about 2 minutes ;)
  7. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's clever. I have a bunch as well. Thanks.
  8. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK good job!! now this place is MEGA Two Wheels Of Suches GA. DSCN0410 (1).JPG DSCN0409 (1).JPG
  9. mdsn969

mdsn969 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to this fine group of reprobates, and enjoy your ride!!!
  10. grub61

grub61 mild mannered maniac

Oddometer:
    Oz - specifically Wollongong , if I'm home
    New DR. You won't need hundreds of zip ties. 130 miles is a good start , your butt will be sore by the end of it. A small backpack or seat bag for a drink and something to eat , maybe a spare t-shirt in case it gets cooler , camera and ( it appears that you already have) a relaxed attitude and you'll have a great ride - enjoy :thumbup
    thechief86 likes this.
  11. Gham

Gham What's for lunch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good start, I like these kind of adventures.
  12. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I survived! Unfortunately, I misplaced my phone somewhere between my home and work today. So, it's either in pieces on the side of the road or still at work. I'll hopefully find it tomorrow. All the images of bike and trip are on the phone as well. Yes, I tried locating it with my Google account and it goes straight to voicemail when called. This means one of three things. It has had the sim card swapped, the phone is dead, or it's in airplane mode. It's actually highly likely that it's in airplane mode because I always put it in that mode as soon as I get to work. Fortunately, I texted most of the pictures to friends and family, so they're not entirely lost. I'll post them as soon as possible or even have my friend who talked me into this post some.

Some notes about the trip and today's riding:
    First, it was absolutely amazing! I rode the bike all the way up to exactly 30 mins past sunset (in accordance with permit restrictions). The sorest thing besides my butt was my cheeks from smiling the entire time. The first upgrade will most likely be a new seat.

I ended up putting 156 miles on the bike the first day, another 20 or so today.

I stopped for gas about 50 miles in and was shocked to put less than three bucks in the tank. For some reason it's really weird for me to only spend two dollars or so at a gas station. I kinda felt like a dirt bag; like someone who writes a check for a pack of cigarettes.

The weather was pretty cold, but the roads were mostly very light with traffic. It never rained.

I have a really bad habit of leaving the turn signals on.

The bike was way smoother than I was expecting. My hands never got tingly like I've read about from other DR / single cylinder owners. Then again, I don't have much to compare it with.

Got lost on purpose out in the country. I have/had a picture of my bike next to some cows.

The piece of gear that impressed me the most was the stupid knee warmers. They actually worked extremely well.

I had to use one zip tie. The left hand guard is missing the correct bolt. The dealer is shipping it to me.

My jacket performed well beyond what I was even expecting.

One lady at a gas station said "I didn't think those there mini bikes was road legal". A lady I work with said "Is that your scooter out there?"

It's hard to write much about the trip with out the pictures, so I'll end it here until I find my phone or get a hold of the images some other way. Regardless, thanks for all the help to those who offered it. This trip ended up being one of the best days of my entire life. Too bad I'm a bit butt-hurt right now about maybe having to buy a new phone.
  13. NickSoOr

NickSoOr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. Hope you find your phone .
    MadRider777 and codeDirtyToMe like this.
  14. GooseYArd

GooseYArd institutional subversive

Oddometer:
    this all seems perfectly reasonable to me.
  15. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Congratulations on the new bike! You made a great choice, on a bike that will let you see all the greatest places for pennies compared to driving most cars, and you can go offroad, so now you're saving money over driving a gas guzzling 4x4!
    The turn signal thing is something I've seen almost everybody struggle with, you'll get in the habit of checking it, once somebody who thought you were turning pulls right out in front of you. ;)
    Have fun, be safe! Go see stuff, get off the damn pavement!

P.S.
    Padded bicycle shorts will help your butt until you get around to improving the seat.
    codeDirtyToMe likes this.
  16. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just had an SUV pull out in front of me about an hour ago. I was really pissed and flipped him off. I then saw that my turn signal was on. Possibly the most embarrassing / humbling moment in recent times for me. Live and learn, right.
    nk14zp and thechief86 like this.
  17. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    262.jpg 263.jpg Whew, I remembered that I have a girlfriend. She just emailed these to me. I can finally put this thread to rest.
  18. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    HAHAHA!
    VERY nice bike, sir. I love it. That thing will bring you years and many thousands of miles of joy. Don't get rid of it, you will probably regret it.
    I traded off my KLR last year, and within 6 months begged the guy to sell it back to me, and although I have, and have had nicer bikes that are better for this or that, it's the one that will do everything, for better or for worse.
    Letting it go was the biggest regret of my motorcycling life. I even got a newer KLR in the meantime, but my Lime Green 2006 was the bike for me. A DR650 is a lot like a 1st gen KLR, actually even better. I may have to have one some day...
    That one looks amazing. Love the black and red.
    codeDirtyToMe likes this.
  19. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm glad you like. I love it. Thanks for all your positive encouragement when almost everyone in "real" life was trying to talk me out of it. This bike is mine partly because of your actions. I sincerely appreciate it.

One thing I learned early in life is that stupid people don't learn from their mistakes, the average person will, but it's the smart people who learn from other peoples' mistakes. As such, I have taken your advice to never get rid of it. I'm not suggesting that I'm smart, just that I like to pretend to be. I honestly can't see how that would ever come to pass to begin with. I've never had so much fun in one day. I got up at 0200 this morning just to go look at it for a bit.
    EZMoney, drbuzzard, NickSoOr and 2 others like this.
  20. grub61

grub61 mild mannered maniac

Oddometer:
    Oz - specifically Wollongong , if I'm home
    Instead of a new seat , try an Airhawk , it's like a pillow for your butt. Once you get it set correctly , it's cheaper than a new seat and easy to put on and off. I really like the colour of your bike , it looks good. Good luck on your travels.
    Graham