First trip on first bike.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by codeDirtyToMe, Oct 23, 2018.

?

Will I survive?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2018.
  1. Maybe.

83.8%
  2. Nope.

16.2%
  1. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Just some friendly advise. NEVER flip off a cager no matter how much they deserve it. There is way too much road rage out there and you could push a nut job over the edge. Bike vs. cager is a losing proposition and not worth the risk. JMHO. Great report BTW.
  2. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ohhh, how did this bike escape my research? That looks really appealing.
  3. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The embarrassment I felt is enough of a lesson to never do it again. Thanks for the wise advice regardless.
    kojack06 and thechief86 like this.
  4. Edoz

Edoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, I dig mine. It's a great beginner bike according to everything I've read and I can see myself keeping it for a long time.
    codeDirtyToMe likes this.
  5. GooseYArd

GooseYArd institutional subversive

Oddometer:
    turns out the prizes for being right in roadway disputes are kinda lousy
    kojack06 likes this.
  6. BikeMikeAZ

BikeMikeAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get in the habit of cancelling the turn signal what I start the turn, instead of after I finish. I'm still the the 'turning' thought process, so I don't have to remember to turn it off after I finish. I welcome opinions on whether this is a good idea or not.
    +1 on good boots. I've got a pair of Sidi ?adventure? Boots. Kept we warm and dry for 2 weeks in AK, and yes, hot in Arizona, but not unbearably so. You will have to get used to the way the shifter feels disconnected from your foot, maybe even adjust the shifter.
    ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) is a good plan, too. On my mountain bike, went for a ride to the post office a block away and ended up knocked out for 45 min a number of years ago. Should have had the helmet on my head instead of at home.
    Welcome to the not-so-insane asylum. :)
  7. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The DR650 was my "return" bike in 2008 when I came back to riding. I quit riding in 78 to start college and my army career. The DR is still my "big" adventure bike and I hope to have it when I can't ride anymore.

The NUMBER 1 transformative modification I made was the investment in a Sargent seat for it almost immediately. For me, it completely changed the character of the bike. I only rode off-road before the DR and I didn't realize a manufacturer could actually build a MC seat that caused pain until I rode the DR for an hour with the stock seat.
    codeDirtyToMe and Gham like this.
  8. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Aint that the truth and road rage along with cell phones are making it worse by the day.
    nk14zp likes this.
  9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cagers are what screws up a motorcycle ride.
    They're either trying to kill you or they're on an awesome twisty road going 10 mph under the speed limit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    nk14zp likes this.
  10. GooseYArd

GooseYArd institutional subversive

Oddometer:
    ive now developed this nervous habit (I thought I was the only one who did it but ive since met some other people who confessed the same thing) of mashing my turn signal cancel button about every 15 seconds the entire time I'm riding, its kind of a nervous tick that annoys me now. What I'd really love to have is a pair of mirrors with turn indicators built in, so that I had something at eye level. I've also seen relays with buzzers built in so that you get some audible warning that the blinkers are on, but I'm not sure how loud they are.
    nk14zp and NC Rick like this.
  11. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club. Believe me, there are always appealing bikes to be had. Your first one is just the start!
  12. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    CDTM, you picked an awesome bike. I enjoy reading your story, thanks so much for sharing it with us. I have had a motorcycle non stop for the last 56 years. I have and have had BMWs, MotoGuzzi and Ducati’s as well as Husqvarnas and a KTM. I have owned my DR650 for 18 years and 50,000 miles. I consider the DR as my favorite bike ever (even though I love most all my bikes). That DR will become what ever you want and will let you discover all kinds of riding possibilities. Mine has done track days, camping trips, commuting and awesome trips in Colorado and Utah.

Many of us motorcyclists are or have been bicyclists. You are doing great by reaching out to the community, it tends to be a surprising one and our state of North Carolina doesn’t give up much to anywhere, in that department. If you are in the Asheville area, give us a shout. Some great Rallies such as the RDV in the spring, many DRs and other bikes there.

Regarding boots, my first were flip-flops with no socks. Safety gear is great and it’s important. Be most careful once you begin to gain confidence. Look for local riders in your area who have similar interests to you. Often there are local rides, breakfasts or bike nights at breweries. Most anything. Take your time and enjoy. I’m envious of your “adventure”. Enjoy. Oh, and I sound like my mother giving advice... don’t do what i do!
  13. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In addition to a Sargent seat, many of us have Rick's superb suspension products suspending our DRs!☺
    NC Rick, thechief86 and codeDirtyToMe like this.
  14. Runwithscissors

Runwithscissors Runwithscissors

Oddometer:
    Get in the habit of hitting the blinker cancel button often/randomly as you ride; like a nervous tick.
    nk14zp likes this.
  15. grub61

grub61 mild mannered maniac

Oddometer:
    Oz - specifically Wollongong , if I'm home
    There are indicators available that have a little buzzer wired up to them , they fit them to the postie bikes here in Australia ( Honda ct110's) , it's a seperate little buzzer but works with both sides of the bike. Type indicator buzzer into your browser , plenty of different things available.
    My Tiger 800 has self-cancelling blinkers as standard, luckily for me cause I always forget to switch them off

Graham
  16. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:

I know where ones for sale
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  17. red bud

Oddometer:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    All things DR. This guy
    kojack06 likes this.
  18. red bud

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum, your in a great riding area. Lived in Durham a while back. Loved the bulls. Last place I lived was duke manor apts probably not there any. More.

Really like the blue.

:beer Here’s to many safe miles.
    codeDirtyToMe, kojack06 and NC Rick like this.
  19. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to ADV, it is a great community.

Check out Seat Concepts "low comfort" seat for the DR.

Since you have a thumper, buy locktite and use it on almost everything. Nothing is much more frightening than learning you front brake caliper is dangling by the brake line as you need to slow for the turn. Single cylinder bikes (thumpers) seem to like to shake stuff loose.

Also buy the best boots you can afford. It is disturbing to see your own bones sticking out of your foot from inadequate footwear. I have the Forma boots which are good, but upgraded to Motocross boots. I know the motocross boots saved me a broken leg at Maob's Slickrock

Lessons learned from a couple of my mistakes as a new rider.
  20. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really? Can you point me in the right direction? I figured I would have to get out towards Pisgah to get anything really good.