First trip on first bike.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by codeDirtyToMe, Oct 23, 2018.

?

Will I survive?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2018.
  1. Maybe.

83.8%
  2. Nope.

16.2%
  1. blues bob

blues bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the riding fraternity. I know it's too late , but new tires can be very greasy for the first 50 miles. My son dropped his bike leaving the driveway the first mile on new skins. One shop made me sign a paper saying they told me this before leaving their property.
    Gham likes this.
  2. OBIWAN

OBIWAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't finished reading all of this yet but incase you don't know about these they are great to store tools or actually your manual. For example do you know which fuse is for the head light, I don't on any of my bikes I would have to look it up. These are really tuff containers with O ring seals. Get a couple.

https://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister-large/p/67670/
    codeDirtyToMe likes this.
  3. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum. You've got a great bike there. Like everybody has said, do the maintenance and it will take care of you for a very long time.
    Don't worry about pushing yourself into new stuff too quickly. Make sure you feel ok with what you're doing before you push yourself into something harder.
    Remember your girlfriend? She's worried about you. Whether you feel it is justified or not, she is. Do what you can to help her feel better about your riding and that you will still be coming home. Don't take her as a passenger for about a year until you get some experience. Then, you'll be much more prepared in the event that something unexpected happens.

Proper attire can help tremendously with comfort (weather extremes) and with safety from stick, rocks, and other stuff thrown up by cars and can in some cases turn what would be broken bones and missing skin into a few bruises and a lesson learned. Safety gear is just that, though. It won't stop you from getting hurt but can mitigate the amount of hurt in most cases.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I wish I could have done something like that when I got my first bike but like someone else said, there were no internet forums, or personal computers in those days. I got a Honda CB350 in 1978 or 79 can't really remember. First ride was about 5 miles and was a real blast while also being a little scary. I had ridden dirt for years before but being on the road on such a heavy bike was a big difference. In around 5 years, I was riding around on a 76 Goldwing and having a blast burning up miles. I'm pretty much all street with a few dirt/gravel roads thrown in.

Looking forward to reading many more adventures from you in the future. Wait 'till you hit the WNC mountains. :D
    thechief86 and codeDirtyToMe like this.
  4. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike already has something similar under the left plastic. However, it's not a screw top. What you suggested seems great, especially for the price. However, I already have some waterproof screw top containers that came with my inflatable paddle boards. I think they're supposed to hold the patch kits. Whatever, they belong to the motorcycle now.
    thechief86 likes this.
  5. codeDirtyToMe

codeDirtyToMe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I'm doing the first 500 mile service this Friday. I would have had those miles knocked out a long time ago, but the weather has been very wet lately. I'll try to knock out the next 500 miles as quick as possible. Once I get those first two services out of the way (and the NSU fix), I'll spend a night or two in the Pisgah mountains. I intend to do a small ride report on it.

I got some serious riding gloves and the matching pants for my jacket. I ordered the boots I want and I am now just waiting on them to get here. This should round out all the essential safety gear.

I think I hid my apprehension about this first trip rather well. I ended up doing 150 something miles on the way home. Before that, I had maybe 20 total miles of motorcycle experience spread across 15 years. The first time I had a semi move past me in the opposite lane at around 60 mph - well, that just about threw me off the bike. In retrospect, I realize that it was a larger risk than I had anticipated but I don't regret it at all. I was just sick and tired of excuses. I knew if I waited for better circumstances (weather & distance), the chances of actually going through with it would decrease drastically. My only regret is not stopping to take a few more pictures. I was so preoccupied with getting home in one piece that I now only a have a few images to remember it by.

After watching the Regular Car Reviews episode on the Goldwing, I've decided that I need one in the future. The dash on that thing looks identical to my dad's old 1995 civic. Leave it to Honda to make traveling long distances on a motorcycle comfortable, economical, and practical.

This next bit might mean something to some of you here. My adjustafork should be here this week and my voile straps not long after. I just gotta find a place that sells Old Crow now.
    thechief86 likes this.
  6. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I love Regular Car Reviews most of the time. He's right, the Goldwing is the pinnacle of an amazing touring motorcycle.