First trip to Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sharpeunit, Jan 28, 2005.

1. sharpeunit

sharpeunit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy! My wife and I are planning a trip to Nova Scotia in July-Aug. We will trailer our GS from Atlanta to upstate NY, cut across, and take the fast ferry to the island.
    Does anyone have any general trip suggestions or places to stay. Is it safe to camp, i.e. no-seeum, blackfly, ect. season ?

Thanks, Sharpeunit.
  2. sharpeunit

Oddometer:
    No replys? Any Hosers on-line?
  3. Miguel

Miguel off road junkie

Oddometer:
    Yes, I suppose I would be a "Hoser". Whatcha want to know? I lived there (Halifax) a few years but I'm really a west coaster. The Maritimes is a great place to visit. Hit Peggy's Cove, Lunnenburg and all the touristy spots. Good camping. I don't recall a big bug issue but I wasn't out in the back 40. Try searching tourism Nova Scotia or Halifax on the web.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    That trailering thing done skeered'em off. :evil
  6. Ontario GS

Ontario GS Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer:
    Have a look at a map, she's a pretty big island! :rofl

Nova Scotia puts out a great motorcycling tour guide, search their site and you should be able to find and order it (Then again, you think Nova Scotia is an island). If you can't find it, pm me and I will send you mind.
  7. BFD

BFD Jackalope Molestor

Oddometer:
  8. BFD

BFD Jackalope Molestor

Oddometer:
  9. BFD

BFD Jackalope Molestor

Oddometer:
  10. BFD

BFD Jackalope Molestor

Oddometer:
  11. sharpeunit

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much ! I will get all the guides, however I was looking for an idea of how many days at a reasonable pace to get to all the roadside attractions.

I ain't scared, my first wife was from the bush near Winnipeg. I loved to tease the bugs from the other side of the in-laws screen door. I think the coldest place I had ever been was downtown Winnipeg during a white out.

Sharpeunit.
  12. sharpeunit

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much ! I will get all the guides, however I was looking for an idea of how many days at a reasonable pace to get to all the roadside attractions.

I ain't scared, my first wife was from the bush near Winnipeg. I loved to tease the bugs from the other side of the in-laws screen door. I think the coldest place I had ever been was downtown Winnipeg during a white out.

Sharpeunit.
  13. sharpeunit

Oddometer:

Sharpeunit.
  14. sharpeunit

Oddometer:
    I ain't skeered.Thanks for the ideas and I have sent off for the quides. I would like to have an idea of how many days of travel, at a reasonable pace, that I would need to see all the "roadside attractions".
    p.s. I called out hoser to get yur attention. I have fond memories of living in Kitchener, Ont. for a year in my early 20's. There I met my first wife who was from Winnipeg.

Sharpeunit
  15. sharpeunit

Oddometer:
    Opps, the replies got hung up.
  16. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    Is the the thread of multiple replies or what???

But really, I've done Nova Scotia, twice with my parents actually. They travel in style, so I can't comment on camping or hostels, although I did see lots of campgrounds, and nothing was ever too busy (we went the same time as you are going). I can comment on roads. It's like this: they're all pretty much good!

The first time, we left MA, rode to Bar Harbor, slept, took the morning cat ferry, arrived in Yarmouth, rode to Halifax. It was a fairly long day, and arriving in a city at night wasn't too much fun. I'd avoid doing that again. Halifax is bigger than you think. Not fun on motorbike, especially if there are two of you, and mom isn't a big fan of being a passenger on a big bike in the city. Beyond that, it was beautiful. Cape Breton is the best, all the roads are good, no need to worry about planning just ride.

So we learned from our mistakes, but made a new one. Second time, we planned to skip some of the scenic routes on the main island, and headed straight out towards Cape Breton. The mistake was taking the slow ferry from Portland. Riding into Portland sucks, the overnight ferry made me sicker than a dog, it wasn't that nice, and it was really expensive (I rode a 1000k mile day to avoid it on the way back... thanks mom and dad, but I'll pass).

My advice, the east coast is a little more scenic, although the Bay of Fundy on the west is also amazing. Cape Breton is the best, give yourself time to do that one right. Our first year, we only had one day and it was horrible weather, couldn't see 10 feet in front of the bike. Thirdly, enjoy the food! If you want, I'll find out which dining guide my dad brought along, he planned our stops around the best rated places. All were delicious and reasonable priced too. Mmm Mmm.

So really, it's an easy place to enjoy. I'm sure you will :thumb
  17. sharpeunit

Oddometer:
    friggin' shared T-1 got hung up on my first reply. We'll take the cat ferry to save time. I wonder if I could tack on Newfoundland?

Sharpeunit.
  18. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    We "tacked on" PEI last time. Not much for riding there, but a pleasant place to ride through and spend a night in a very nice Inn. That was still doable in 7-9 days. Newfoundland would add more time on top of that I imagine.
  19. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Unit,

I'm planning a trip to NS & Newfoundland during that same time. I have a few days planned for Newfoundland. My trip is July15 thru July 31st from Ohio. There are a couple threads in Great White North with some good info :thumb
  20. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    You'd both better haul some serious ass if you want to do both islands in the time allotted. You won't have much time to daudle! There's no fast way to cross New England in the north- it's pretty much all two lane. I 95 is the only road that's gonna allow you to make any time- and it "doesn't go there"! :lol3 The area around Bar Harbor- Mt Desert Island/Acadia NP is DEFINITELY worth at least a day! Ride to the top of Cadillac Mtn for the sunrise- do the loop road, etc. The Cat is cool- it'll save you a lot of time... One suggestion tho- don't "cheat" in both directions. If you ride down through New Brunswick, you can stop at Bay of Fundy NP and that's a pretty cool place! There are Beautiful pine forrests and salmon rivers in the area, too. Tons of hummingbirds at Fundy NP- some of the restaurants put feeders in the windows to entertain as you dine. Nova Scotia is beautiful- and the folks there seem to really like motorcyclists- they wave as you fly by at 2x the speed limit! Camping is readily available- and yes! there are bugs- and rain!!! Lots of rain! Black flies should be pretty well gone by the middle of June or so- mosquitos are a fact of life- Cape Breton is the jewel... really beautiful place to ride... be sure to hit "Meat Cove" off the Cabot Trail. Have a great trip you guys- I'll say hi to Rossi and the boys for ya while I'm on my trip! :wink: