First valve check

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by OFOAM, Sep 7, 2019.

1. OFOAM

OFOAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally decided to delve into the job I have been dreading all summer – my valve check. It hasn't been quite as dreadful as I expected. To this point I have everything off and am down to the actual clearance check procedure. I've noted some differences with the design of my bike versus what I've seen on the YouTube videos.

I don't have the “T” at the back of the air box. So no hoses to disconnect. I also don't have the silver piece on the top of the valve cover with the (breather?) hose connection. The cutouts are there but no hose connection. I only have one hose from the valve cover to the air box. Apparently the 2017 F700 is different than the 800. Maybe even different than previous F700s. Can anyone add some insight here?

Here are some pictures of the valve cover, the air box and the camshaft cover.

20190907_142322.jpg 20190907_142456.jpg 20190907_142409.jpg
    04478 likes this.
  2. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    The F650GS and the F700GS do not have the secondary air system that the F800GS has as it was not necessary for emissions reduction. The secondary air system valves reside in those empty spaces on the valve cover on the F800GS.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  3. OFOAM

OFOAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bmwroadsterca, thanks for the info. I figured it was due to a difference between the 800 and 700. Problem is that there is really very really very little info on the 700 maintenance. It all seems to be about the 800.
    I also had a question about re-assembly. From what I've seen, the gasket sealer seems to only be needed in the 2 recesses on the left side where the lobes of the gasket set. Is this the case? There seems to be something from the factory in that area that may be some kind of sealer. But it's not like anything I've seen before.
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    The spots in the corners of the gasket where the half moon seals are require sealer. There have been updates to the gasket through the years some updates are only available from BMW.... They include updated bolts with shorter shoulders that allow the gasket to be placed under more compression to avoid leaks.
    Best to check with a dealer or at least a parts fiche to be sure you have the correct updated gasket and bolts.
  5. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    SnoDrtRider has nailed it. I used ThreeBond Liquid Gasket 1184 (same as YamaBond I think) as a sealer. Clean the surfaces of oil prior to applying (sparingly). Other than what you have noticed already the F800GS and F700GS procedures are the same. Based on reading posts here and elsewhere over the past 9 years most find no need to adjust the clearances at at least the first two recommended intervals. Note that if reading old posts you may see different specs quoted. BMW made a spec change at some point to increase the clearances only to revise them back to the original spec shortly thereafter.
  6. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    A lot of people try to save a couple bucks by buying a gasket only to try and stop leaks but if you buy the entire kit from BMW you get all of the updated hardware and seals. The updated bolts allow more compression to the gasket and seals on the bolts with less chance of future leaks.
  7. adventuro

adventuro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Think that the 2017 should have the updated gasket already.
    sieg likes this.
  8. OFOAM

OFOAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there anything particularly special about the gasket sealer on these bikes? Is any decent sealer such as Permatex OK?
  9. OFOAM

OFOAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checked the clearances today. As expected, all were within spec. My first check at a little over 15K mi. Maybe I'll be as lucky on the next one. Now comes the fun on putting every thing back together. Glad I took lots of pictures.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  10. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
  11. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is quite timely as I just completed a check on my f800gs valve clearances yesterday.

I checked them last 6k miles ago and found two exhaust valves on the tight side fully expecting on this service to be adjusting the shins.

In anticipation of that I asked my Dad to come and help, a motor mechanic of 40 years experience.

Left alone I would have been certain that some valves needed doing but on the advice of my Dad found my technique of running the feelers in the clearances wasn’t very good as i wouldn’t allow the feeler gauges to lie flat in the clearance without any strain on them thus making it feel there was more resistance then there should have been.

I consider myself a fairly competent home mechanic but this error could have left me with a job to do that didn’t need doing!

So at 54k miles, 34k of which I have put on the bike so far so good with the valve clearances
    Motogasoline likes this.
  12. Duitser

Duitser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like the old saying 'a noisy tappet is a happy tappet'
    sieg and SnoDrtRider like this.
  13. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I like to say... Valves are like children, when they get quiet they are usually up to no good!
    shuswap1 and cgguy09 like this.
  14. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:jack