First year of the immobilizer chip in the 990??

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by danger_nurse, Sep 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. danger_nurse

danger_nurse N00basaurus?

Oddometer:
    Hello friends,
    Getting ready to start shopping for a 990 ADV that is Pre-immobilizer chip to do a rally build. I keep reading mixed info on it being 2008 vs 2008. Can anyone tell me definitively which year they added that to the 990? Thank you thank you
    White Owl likes this.
  2. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say from 2009 and on, but the sure way to tell is in the dash. If it has the new style it has inmobilizer.

Regards,
    Mane
    DirtyADV likes this.
  3. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    I dont' have the answer but I would check EPC, ign switch and key part number.
  4. Bajageorgia

Bajageorgia n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m a new owner of a 990 so definitely not an expert. The fact that my bike came with one key led me straight into world of the immobilizer.

It’s my understanding from some posts that ‘09 and up came with it. BUT several posts indicate p/n for 07-08 ecu is same as ‘09 and up. If I’m understanding the comments, it’s possible to load a ‘08 flash on a newer ecu and it will run without an immobilizer. Then, paste a newer set of fuel table values on the ‘08 tables and you’re all set.

I’d like to validate this. Where is an online source to validate the part number? I’ll also need to learn tune-Ecu.
  5. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    As @Mane said, single instrument dash bikes have immobilizer, double instrument bikes don't.

@Bajageorgia you're correct, part number is the same. But to buy one you have to supply a VIN so that the ECU come programmed accordingly.

With earlier versions of TuneEcu it was possible to load post-2009 maps to pre-2009 and viceversa. Now it's not allowed anymore.
    I don't know if the KTM diagnostic tool can do it.
    There's an inmate (vendors section?) that can flash the ECU to remove the immobilizer.
    tomdubz, Bajageorgia and Mane like this.
  6. Bajageorgia

Bajageorgia n00b

Oddometer:
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 09-13 have the immobilizer. 06(euro), 07, 08 do not.
    But, the 09-up have a better head, longer valve checks and generally run better.
    Otherwise, they are pretty damn similar.
    Mane likes this.