Fishing and riding

Discussion in 'Australia' started by joemanjoe, Nov 17, 2019.

1. joemanjoe

joemanjoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gday all
    Did a trip up into the remote Kimberly region of Western Australia a few months back on the back of the bushbanana (drz400)
    The main motivation behind the trip was how good the fishing is up there .
    I’d previously visited the region in one of those air conditioned helmets (car)
    So i figured why not jam both my favourite activities into the one trip
    Adv riding and land based fishing .
    Anyway the trip was a huge success with many fish landed and a good 2 weeks living off the land and camping in a very beautiful part of the country
    All off the back of my bike

So fellas I want to know does anyone else take fishing gear with them on adv rides or use there bike to get to more remote fishing spots

Attached Files:

darren70, DARK-SIDE, a2zworks and 4 others like this.
  2. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
  3. mb8

mb8 One planet, no option.

Oddometer:
    2 weeks away fishing in an awesome area on a motorbike and you give us ONE picture.......for shame Sir.

(will forgive for more pics :-))
    joemanjoe likes this.
  4. joemanjoe

joemanjoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You’ll have to forgive the lack of fish pictures ,
    It’s dam hard to put down the rod and pick up the camera when the fishing is that good

Well that’s my excuse anyway

Attached Files:

5. mb8

mb8 One planet, no option.

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, that's the stuff! Thank you.
  6. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Very nice.
    I bought a Shimano revo 3 piece travel rod for the bike , think l took it along once on a trip down south.
    Bought a 5 piece spin/fly combo with both types of reel, about $40 On Torpedo 7 many moons ago. Awesome little outfit, has been across Oz and back a couple of times but not seen much use.
    Plan to use it more in the South West when l can, touring on the little 2fiddy.
    Your trip looked ideal, l don't eat seafood so I'd need a decent calibre rifle to eat off the land. :dukegirl
    joemanjoe and DOT like this.
  7. ArthurKnowles

ArthurKnowles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is why I bought my KLR650. Road trips, camping, & fishing remote spots. Might not be as remote as this, but still same plan.
    joemanjoe likes this.
  8. joemanjoe

joemanjoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a 5 piece spin/fly combo with both types of reel, about $40 On Torpedo 7 many moons ago. Awesome little outfit, has been across Oz and back a couple of times but not seen much use.
    Plan to use it more in the South West when l can, touring on the little 2fiddy.
    Your trip looked ideal, l don't eat seafood so I'd need a decent calibre rifle to eat off the land. :dukegirl[/QUOTE]

Never heard of a spin fly combo before , but I like the sound of it
    Ever pin anything noteworthy with it in your travels ?
  9. joemanjoe

joemanjoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chuck some fish / camping pics up mate !!
  10. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I love fish, I could live on it but don’t have the patience required for fishing.
    Great to see a young fella getting out and about early in life.
    Don’t look back keep traveling as often as possible, and if you do find a serious partner make sure that they also are willing to go at the drop of a hat, other ways it won’t work.
    The Fireman and joemanjoe like this.
  11. ArthurKnowles

ArthurKnowles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will. Trout stocking was delayed this year, but it’s supposed to happen on 11/20.

Only issue is, I’m going to be tearing down my KLR for a complete rebuild. So any fishing pics will not include my KLR.

IMG_0652.jpg

Here’s one a couple of years ago with my F800ST setup. Down at the local lake.

IMG_0653.jpg

Here’s what I caught.

I should mention that I plan to take my KLR650 out of the local area. More weekend and week plus trips. Not just the local lake. :)
    mb8 likes this.
  12. joemanjoe

joemanjoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Decent feed there mate !
    Looks the fishing is completely different in your part of the world
    Not much sitting gets done where I fish
    Just running over oyster rocks trying to stay connected to saltwater brutes
    9/10 I end up with cuts , bruises and no fish
  13. ArthurKnowles

ArthurKnowles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It depends. The local lake is citified fishing. Farm raised fish. Not a lot of skill needed, but it’s all that is available for at least 75 miles. Past that there are a couple of lakes with wild fish. Wife & I have done that with the RV and a rented boat. Again, much more relaxed camping as we take a mobile home with us. AC, heating, propane stove, fridge, bed, TV, and a grill.

I thought she’d actually ride a motorcycle. She even got her license, but after years of all this it amounted nope not going to do it. So I said fine, I’m just going to do it by myself. Hence the KLR.

I’m going to go on rides. Go camping. And go fishing places you can’t take an RV. It’ll just be by myself or with a group of like minded riders. If I can find them. I don’t cruise when I ride and routinely push it to 500 miles or more on highway. So a lot of groups just don’t make the cut so far as I’m concerned.

I want to get some place I can have some fun for a few days. I’m just hoping after next July I can get some longer trips in. Next July is a 3-4 week RV trip to show the wife what the RV lifestyle is really like. We bought a used 2005 Winnebago Adventure to try out and see if we want to do it more when we retire. The KLR fits on the back.

When we retire in 10 more years we’ll be moving back east. They have tons of trails, roads, rivers, and lakes for me to explore. Where I am now in Southern CA you have to drive 300-500 miles to get to places outside of desert country. Not a lot of wild fishing to be found outside of the Colorado river. Even that’s about 200 miles away.

Forgot to mention I might be able to hit the ocean too. It’s about 4 hours away. Still pretty citified though. It’s sad. I miss the east coast and all the fishing I used to do just driving/walking up to the beach areas or river mouth exits. You guy get to have way more fun.
    joemanjoe and mb8 like this.
  14. ArthurKnowles

ArthurKnowles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By the way, if you like the chair it’s called a Kermit chair. It has extensions on it to make it a bit easier to sit in. They have a table too. It all packs up for motorcycle traveling.

I’ve abused my body enough that when it comes time to relax, I do. Although I expect when I get my fly rod combo and learn how to use it I’ll be mid-stream in northern CA or in Colorado rivers and streams for the big ones. Trout, steelhead, and various other fish in the 18”-24” range. I’m really looking forward to some of that with my nephew.
    joemanjoe likes this.
  15. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    joemanjoe likes this.
  16. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I occasionally carry an el-cheapo telescopic rod which packs really small, but the fish know I'm coming somehow :confused and just piss off.
    a2zworks likes this.
  18. ArthurKnowles

ArthurKnowles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It disassembled for traveling until one day it disassembled itself while I was riding and I lost a few pieces. Now I have a clamp on set that fits on the chair. That all fits into a bag so I don’t lose parts.
  19. ArthurKnowles

ArthurKnowles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you used this setup? I’ve seen it before at the Aerostich web site and wondered about it. I have the Voyager setup for spin casting with a better real. Also light weight. Plus another portable rod. I was wondering ... can you use any portable rod with a good fly reel and make it portable?
  20. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started this past year after thinking so many times "that looks like a good place to fish" I picked up a 4 piece Okuma rod and reel off amazon. It packs up small and weighs almost nothing. I keep it in the side case with a few lures. It's nice to stop, get off the bike and stretch the legs and make a few casts.
    DOT likes this.