Fishing in Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by BROKENTOOTH, Jan 14, 2006.

1. BROKENTOOTH

BROKENTOOTH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing like a noob's first post

Anyway, I'm planning my first trip on my 06' GSA for this summer and would like to do a bit more than just ride/camp/drink in Alaska this time.
    :loadedBeing an avid fisherman, I was hoping to wet my line for some halibut, rockfish etc.. but am rather taken aback by the insane prices charged by the charters. I saw a price from one outfit for almost $4000.00 USD for one week including lodging.

:huh

Anyone have any ideas for a cool fishing side trip that would appeal to a poor sap that's sunk every penny he has into a new bike he really can't afford.
  2. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know where in AK you plan to be but just get a license and hang around the docks and ask the locals where to fish. I lived in SE AK (Pelican)for 10 years and there's fish everywhere in SE at least.
    If you give a decent impression you could either rent/borrow a skiff or maybe even go with a local. Locals in AK(sans Anchorage) are great folks. Halibut come into the shallows in the summer and all you need is a jig and a hand line...just hope you don't snag a big female that weighs (and is tougher and meaner) than you and the boat. Rock fish you'll need to go a bit deeper but again all you need is a hand line, weight and bait. Good fishin to ya!
  3. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    As a CND,:D

Don't miss the best fishing for next to nothing for costs:D
    West coast of northern BC. On your way up to Alaska, Salmon and ocean fishing is a must. Pr Rupert & Kitimat. Check it out.

Rick:D
  4. Bearhawk

Bearhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey brokentooth, send me a PM and I will give you the low down on fishing up here in AK. I am in Anchorage and I love to fish. Bearhawk
  5. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    In southcentral Alaska you have quite a few choices. Stand on the bank of the Russian river, or Ship Creek right in downtown Anchorage. You can take a charter on the Kenai river ($125.00) for a half day of salmon fishing all tackle and bait included. Or Halibut fish out of deep creek, Seward, Homer, or even Whittier. Do some searching on Alaska and you'll find lots of information about fishing.
  6. Tennktm

Tennktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of the best fishing is located on the coast of BC...depending on the time of year you go....AK fishing around Anchorage can get very crowded from what I understand. I guided in 1994 at Tikchik Lodge...we did not have large crowds to deal with since we were usually about 80 miles from the nearest road......If you can get over to Illiama, copper river, do it...it is worth the trip....perhaps you can take 3 days and head to swest AK for a good fishing trip....leave the bike in Anchorage and fly west....that is the best fishing if you ask me...but, yes it can be very $$$$$$$...I think my old lodge is about 6.5k a week nowadays.....but worth every penny if you have the cash....3 Beavers and couple of 206's.....fly out everyday.
  7. Vagabond

Vagabond Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer:
    There are a few decent people who live in Los Anchorage. I've found seven so far.:zilla If you need service on your bike, then the dealers are nice if you have money.:viking
  8. BROKENTOOTH

Oddometer:
    As luck would have it, my dealer called me a day after my post and told me that my bike would not be ready until late May because I only asked for a "few" options. He added that I could have one in my driveway early April if I decided to buy a fully optioned model instead, as this was how the initial production run would go for all GSA's. All for the bargain price of $29000.00 Cdn. :eek1 This did not by the way, include GPS and bags but DID include bag mounts.:huh I have yet to see just what constitutes a fully optioned GSA so will reserve judgment for the moment. Knowing me, I'll just end up convincing myself that I really need all that extra stuff anyway and put one of my kidneys on Ebay.

Back to fishin'

Just what tackle do I need for an average day of halibut. Forgive my ignorance as my fishing experience is limited to fresh water. I plan on bringing a 6.6 takedown St Croix legend rod (med/heavy action) with me on my travels. A brute, fer sure, on the Brookies but capable of handling just about any finned inland critter short of an 80 lb Laker. Although I understand that Halibut is generally an offshore endeavor, is it possible to "shoreline" the smaller ones?

And to those of you of the Salmoniod persuasion, what's your choice of species, (Sockeye, King, Chinook.....) and why?

I know that this thread may be a bit of a stretch for this site, but so many of my most vivid memories of bike trips had a "water feature."

"Send lawyers, guns and money" - Warren Zevon
  9. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    If you're after halibut and salmon, I would recomend the services of a fishing guide. It will cost you $150-$200 a day for a day trip but they should include everything-tackle, bait, lunch, knowledge, peeled apples. Either Seward or Whittier would be good choices-Homer and the Cook Inlet in general are OK but they are running low on big 'buts. Kenai river float trips are good for salmon or big rainbows. if you are truly adventursome consider a Gulkana float trip through some wild country. :clap
  10. Bearhawk

Bearhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey tooth, Most of my experience has been in stream for salmon. I prefer sockeye or chinook as I like to eat them. I enjoy rainbows and grayling but only do catch and release for them.

If you want rainbows or grayling, bring a flyrod or a small spinning rod as they will all be in the 12-14" range for size. Virtually any flesh or egg pattern will work. If you want Salmon, then your St.Croix should do just fine. Most of what you will catch will be around 8-10#, but you could find yourself with something much bigger on the other end. Use Vibrax or Pixies or spin-n-glows. Ask a local or stop by the local tackle shop for whats working best at the time.

As for Halibut, I would recomend going with a charter. Nice boats, good crews, and virtually guaranteed fish in the box. Plan on spending around $175-200 us, and you will have a good time. Hope this helps! Bearhawk
  11. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    What type of Salmon you fish for has a lot to do with when you fish for them.
    Kings run in May and June in the Kenai. The reds are in June/July and silvers in July/August. Well thats a broad brush because the fish never look at the calander before they start to run up the rivers. Different rivers, different dates etc. A medium action spinning rod with about 15-17 lb test would let you fish from most of the roadside banks you will come across. Lighter gear for trout and mabe ultra lite for grayling.

Getting a guide for river fishing is a good idea and for Halibut you need to go by boat to find good fishing. In August out of Seward you can do an all day Salmon/halibut combo that is worth the money. 10lbs of frozen salmon and 30 lbs of frozen halibut can be shipped home and be waiting for you when you get there. Bring $.
  12. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    Hey Brokentoof, if your trip includes Kodiak Island I can hook you up!

I have a Hewescraft boat and all the gear for bottom fishing (halibut) and trolling gear for Kings and Silvers.
    [​IMG]

If you are coming this way, PM me a week or two prior so I can arrange a few days off.

Total cost would be ...nada/nothing/zip!:deal

Frank

P/S the last 2 years we have had great salmon runs in the rivers too.
    [​IMG]
  13. BROKENTOOTH

Oddometer:
    Spanks alot fellas.

:clap
    As the time for the big push nears, I'll be sure to pm those of you gracious enough to welcome me to, what I'm sure, is heaven on earth, (bugs not withstanding). Till then, I'll be jigging hard water perch with my spawn for a while.

"Hey, You kids! Get outta that Jello tree!"
  14. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I just bought 10 acers just out of Talkeetna 3/4 of a mile from clear creek its one kickass fishin streem can't wait to try it!
  15. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    A teaser photo Prince William Sound out of Whittier, Alaska :tb