Fishing in Mongolia

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by minton82, Jul 15, 2018.

1. minton82

minton82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Will soon be going on a month long moto-camping trip around Mongolia. I'm toying with the idea of taking some fishing equipment, but have only successfully done float fishing.

Any suggestions on what essentials I'd need to bring for the types of rivers/lakes there? I have a cheap collapsable 3m rod and reel, but not sure whether to bring lures, or give fly fishing a go?
    How are the river fish to eat? It'd be nice to have some meat at the end of a long days ride!
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I would plan to make contact with locals once there to see what works for them. When fishing from river banks and on foot, I like to sometimes use a live bait rig like this (below).

It's a cheap assembly of basic tackle, and if and when you snag in something on bottom (rocks), you give it a steady tug and the stuck split shot will slide off the dangling line but leave you generally with your swivel and hook. So you replace a couple sinkers and get back in the action. You could bring some plastic/rubber bait types of things, but local and "live" often the best.

Just one idea. I like the idea of a fly rod too, but the versatility of an open-spool spinning reel is hard to beat, as you can carry a couple spare spools already filled with fresh line in different weights to be flexible to the possibly changing target(s).

simple.jpg

As far as eating anything you catch, I would talk to the locals or read-up about certain bodies of water beforehand, it may be dictated by the specie of fish, local laws or conditions in regard to what you may want to keep or possibly eat. There may be some local-temporary license needed too.....
    Maggot12 likes this.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google tells me they fish there. Take a look and you'll get more than here on ADV?
    People who fish go after it as is possible for the water that's available. Boat,float,bank, whatever is possible.
    Maybe we can fish in North Korea soon? if they have any fish left from a starving population?
    Have fun-wish I was going...:-)
  4. kumatae

kumatae Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw that episode of river monsters where they were looking for massive trouts that are native to Mongolia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. minton82

minton82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah kumatae, I saw that episode with the taimen. They can get pretty big.

9realms I might give that setup a go, seems pretty simple.

kantuckkid, doub't there are any fish left in the N.Korea rivers!

Trying to take minimal gear. Any further tips welcome.
    kumatae likes this.
  6. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I would argue that your rig with a worm would catch just about anything in any freshwater body of water in the world.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have tried a couple of travel fishing rods-they have all been a compromise over a decent "real" rod, but will catch fish.
    The segmented rods are far better than the collapsible versions.
  8. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took a telescopic rod and reel to Mongolia on our ride over there a few years ago.

In Ulan Batur there are a couple of tackle shops to buy lures and so on. The lures for taimen are huge and look something like a cross between a mouse and a squirrel as they eat marmots that fall in the rivers ! ! Amazing.
    Oh - the people in the stores don't speak any English. I ended up spending $75 on a variety of lures, flies and floats. They are not cheap...

It was great to wake up in the morning in the middle of nowhere and do some fishing when camped alongside a river.

There's taimen and grayling in the rivers apparently :lol3

I'm writing up our trip at the moment over in Ride reports if you want to take a look.
  9. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mind you I don't know zip about Mongolia. if it were me I'd take a "small" travel outfit with extra line, connectors, swivels, weight etc and just a couple spoons, lures you'd like to try. I'd hold off on buying any spoons etc till incountry and see what the locals are using.