Fishing the intercoastal around Delray

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Dysco, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Dysco

Dysco Diaper slinger

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I'm flying from Colorado to Delray to do some fishing for the third year in a row with my buddy. I'm booking in an extra day to fish the intercoastal, which I've never done. I'm looking to rent a fishing kayak and go out for 5-6 hours. Does anyone have a kayak they'd rent or loan out, or do you know where I can do that? I'm striking out around Boca on internet searches.

I know you're probably all sick of tourist fishing posts. Sorry. I'm sick of tourist mountain pass conditions post. If you'd like to work a fishing trade, I live in Salida, a bicycle coast away from the Arkansas river with tons of dumb trout.
  2. aprracer

aprracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Ft Myers Beach (other side of state) but I have a kayak and great fishing 15' from my back door, part of the Great Calusa Blueway Paddle Trail system. You're welcome to kayak and fish till you puke, just not in my pool.. Don't sweat the posts, as you say, I do it all the time when I'm out West where I'm lost..lol

https://www.fortmyers-sanibel.com/calusablueway
  3. Dysco

Dysco Diaper slinger

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I just found out that I should drive at least an hour to fish the intercoastal, but across the state might not be so excellent in a borrowed truck. :D
  4. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Dysco

Dysco Diaper slinger

Oddometer:
    Anyone know about JD McArthur state park? All day rentals for fifty bucks and looks like there's plenty of water to work with.
  6. Flacrusher

Flacrusher So Many Bikes... So Little time

Oddometer:
    I used to wade fish that park many years ago and used to catch nice fish (snook, speckled trout and a few reds). Worth a shot if you are willing to check the local fish report and tides
  7. FL Pepper

FL Pepper OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer:
    I'm from Delray originally. The ICW is called "The Canal" there for a reason. MacArthur Park is nice, or go up to the Indian River around Stuart, north of the Jupiter Inlet.
    Dysco likes this.
  8. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    JD is a nice place. I used to live 2 miles from there in Juno. You can find some nice areas to rack up in the estuary and near Burnt bridge which is Jack Nicklaus Dr that runs north/south through the island. See lots of people either fishing from the bridge, out on kayaks or stand up paddling.
    Dysco likes this.
  9. Dysco

Dysco Diaper slinger

Oddometer:
    This trip is already busted. I was pretty jazzed about a DIY kayak trip and the guy I'm staying with got jealous, weaseled an extra day off work, and booked an intercoastal charter in the span of a few hours. I mentioned that the tide would be incoming until 1:30 and he suggested we bail after that for some afternoon snakehead hunting.

I guess I'll go along, I've been fishing with him for 25 years. :lol3

Someday I'll get my DIY trip in before I'm too old to enjoy it.
    motomike14 likes this.