Fishing up North?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by GsGrins, Dec 1, 2004.

1. GsGrins

GsGrins Imaginary friend

Oddometer:
    Here's the plan....Leave Seattle on June 10th with the wife riding pillion. Up 97 to the Alaska Hwy. Drop her at the airport in Fairbanks and scoot up the haul road. Then backtrack down to the Cassair solo, and ride & fish my way back to Seattle. So, what are the flyfishing possibilities on the return ride? I was thinking of using a 5wt. outfit. I assume those rivers are too cold to wet-wade? Anyone know what a non-resident BC license costs?
    TIA

Eric
  2. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey GsGrins,

Fishing is just up my alley. :D I'm 1.5hours from the end of the road of the Stewart/Cassiar. To be exact 1.5 hours from Kitwanga junction near Terrace.
    My son does all the fly fishing in the family. He ties his own flyes and everything. I'm just a casting rod guy. Fishing starts in April with steel head, May & June spring salmon (king salmon to you guys) June to Aug, Pink, chum or dog salmon. That's the funnest. Sept to Oct, my favourite Coho.
    As for non resident BC License I think are quit high. I'll have to check but well worth the trip. If you need info let me know and I can send you what you want. Make sure you tell your wife that you could get lost or pulled in the river by a big fish. Not to worry her but just a warning that you will stay a little longer than planed. :D

Let me know what you want for info.

Ride Safe,
    Rick :thumb

3. GsGrins

GsGrins Imaginary friend

Oddometer:
    Excellent info....Maybe I'll bring a heavier outfit...6wt might do...Also I looked up the BC out of country licence fees...$20/day, $50/8 day, $80/year.

Does you son guide in the area?
  4. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey Eric, :D

Yes, bring your 6wt. Use a sinking line. If you want you can look me up. I might be heading to Alaska mid June. If I'm around we can set you up with gear and the hot spot on the river.
    As for my son guiding. He is 13. He isn't a guide.

The licence fee is about right.

Wish you all the best in planing your trip.
    Need info let me know.

Ride Safe,
    Rick :thumb