Fitment of KTM plastic vs aluminium panniers

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by shardzero, May 8, 2006.

1. The Mariner

The Mariner Matt of Finland

Oddometer:
    Did a little online browsing and I'm really at a bend here; for the price of the Gobis and the topcase I could get the biggest Giant Loop pannier system plus the KTM pannier rack PLUS a Wolfman waterproof pannier set, which would all fit on my bike at one go and still have money left to buy protection for the fore end too.

The main disadvantage is that these probably won't protect the bike if and when I drop it as much as the Gobis but hey, I would still have the pannier rack to protect the tail end. Of course If I ever for some strange and obscure reason would like to switch bikes I would lose the Gobis. Rarely they pay extra for options when you switch bikes so looking like this the GL + Wolfman would be a better choice.

Damn this is hard. :rofl

Of course you can get the Giant Loop in orange... :wink:
  2. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    I know this is a little off the topic but I wonder why almost all the Gobi plastic cases that I see here are grey? Nobody like them in black???
  3. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    Mine came with the Gray set. My Next set will be black
  4. DeBandi

DeBandi Exploring Alabama

Oddometer:

Mine are black. :thumb

[​IMG]
  5. markie_wales

markie_wales Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grey ones have been around for years, the Black ones only came out a year or two ago. General opinion is black looks cooler :D Mines were grey :(

cheers

Markie
  6. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:

I didn't know that. I just got a black set and they do look cool. But here in Los Angeles they get really hot in hot days.
    One more quick question, I got the fabric liner for the top case but it is was too small to fulfill the case. Is that normal? Because side case bags are perfect fit.
  7. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I have a set of gobi's and thought about the smaller AL bags instead. I think I'll keep them now as I've put some miles on them.

they are tough, don't dent, don't scratch easy (or show defects).

I managed to break a latch with a decent shot to the front of the bag. I will be taking straps on any long off road trip. Latches are easy to replace. KTMtwins will key the new latches alike, but not the same as your key.

The bags are hard to use a liner with as the lid doesn't clear the bag back. so you can't slide a bag into the case. I will be running without bag liners now.

They are wide and bulky. GF doesn't have trouble getting on the bike as long as she steps on the peg to get up and over.
  8. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    fwiw.. if you break a latch order another and then just release the lock from your old latch and install it in the new latch so your keying doesn't change.

very easy/quick to do.

:freaky
  9. The Mariner

The Mariner Matt of Finland

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure now that I'll order the quick release rack and two Gobis, now wondering will I need the topcase and the bracket for it? It's about 250 euro more with the topcase, of course always could leave it as option but then would have to pay postage and send a bunch of e-mails again.

In my opinion the 42 litre topcase looks goofy and is it just in the way if I want to pile soft luggage atop the Gobis? Or is it a Godsent? Haven't seen any images with the gobi's and the topcase mounted. Also wondered if I park it and then have two Gobis and the topcase to take off the bike and I just don't have three hands so will the topcase just be overkill?

Will the topcase take a helmet easily?

My earlier idea of the Giant Loop system is a dead born because can't really use the Giant Loop for commuting or anything else than journeying, because difficult to take off the bike and you can't lock it.
  10. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    The full Gobi luggage set is good if you want to carry a shit load of stuff and keep it dry and safe, The down side is that it adds a lot of wieght/size and is really only suitible for paved road touring and mild offfroad.

The top box is much lighter in construction than the side cases, single wall construction verses the double wall on the side cases. It is good for carting light stuff and is easy to access when you're on the road.... but, if you tend to ride offroad then expect it to come flying off the mounting bracket sooner or later.
    It won't fit a helmet inside like the Aria XD or the Klim F4.

[​IMG]
  11. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I think you would be better off with a wolfman dry bag, CJD rear rack, and a cable style gun lock to lock your helmet to the handlebar.
  12. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:

I can fit my Shoei DS in my topcase, side ways only.
  13. Subutai

Subutai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pondering between the 35 and 42 litre alu cases, as the price is the same. I'm leaning towards the 35 litre ones, as I think the bigger ones are going to be heavier and look much bigger and I doubt that I'll be needing that much luggage space. Is there any major advantage going with the 35 or 42 litre ones(which I haven't thought of). I believe that they are approx equally wide, the 42 litre ones are deeper?
  14. Yascher

Yascher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big HB top box, I believe it's 42L is perfect, easy on/off and fits a hell-met))) Quite light as well. Side gobys are only for touring and do good, practical for everyday adventurer....if you do serious stuff-Alu could be a better choice
  15. Grizzz4440

Grizzz4440 Over the Hill (Wild Bill)

Oddometer:
    When you'r packing for a trip, there's never enough room. I've got Gobis & top box & i still run a back pack sitting on the passenger seat attached to the top box. If i'm camping, then i've got a tent, sleeping bag & you name it. Ya never have enough room !!! Just Me :evil
  16. Snarel

Snarel n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for everyone's comments.

I have just purchased the plastic set and noticed that there are plastic adaptors to the metal rails. I am wondering if the black aluminium ones have this also.

The metal rack structure is also tightened with spring loaded 90 Deg screw fasteners. Has anyone had these come undone while riding.

Looking at all the parts on my floor is making me question the purchase.
  17. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I rode about 20,000 miles on my first 990ADV. Agree that they are very practical and work great as camp seats/table. But they are just too wide for my riding. Plus I broke one of the locks on a zero MPH fallover :huh so had to run the ghetto straps for a while.

I ride a lot more offroad on my 2nd bike so sold them and switched to Giant Loop bag or Ortlieb saddlebags depending on whether the missus is with me or not.
  18. GLRRA47

GLRRA47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Jessie Odesey panniers. I've not had a chance to use them traveling yet, but they are lightweight and I really like the mounting mechanism. Also - top loading and not too wide. They are very slick to take on and off and are adjustable front to back. I found they seeped water at most fasteners and mounting points, but after taking apart and reassembling with silicon sealant and a coating around each of the fastners on the inside they look like they be dry from here on-out. Look to be pretty tough and "fixable" if need be.
  19. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    I had the ally ones and they are great ,they came with the bike when i bought it new as a deal.
    + 's They fit heaps of stuff and the lids can be made to become little tables if you get creative , also make great seats, and keep your stove from going out in the wind. they also have bags you can get ,inners , a must.
    security.

- 's But i simply lost a lid and that sucks big black dogs nuts cause the replacement cost is 400 plus i made one out of ply and it done the job.
    they can be leg breakers in the right enviroment cause your leg hits a stone and then flicks into the hard case and the potential is definatly there.
    they make the bike very wide.
    They can and have caused damage to the frame simply by overloading and useing them on rough roads rutts and the like , seen it, it sucks ass.

Along the lines of what LC8ty said they're great for slabing it ,around town and with a pillion but i would'nt use them for serious adventure, no way.
  20. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WTB:

Looking for a pair of Black KTM Gobi Panniers! Anyone have a pair they'd like to part with?