Fitness Plan for CABDR

Discussion in 'Americas' started by zivigliano, Oct 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. zivigliano

zivigliano n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone suggest a fitness plan when prepping for the CABDR or something similar?
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah weight lifting.

If you don't have dumbbells just drop and pick your bike a dozen times you will be doing it as much daily when you hit deep sand in mojave desert and death valley. Also practice power walking bike on snow/ice up 10%+ grade it could be helpful on Hunter mnt

Also practice riding standing for long periods and transition from standing to sitting and back.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since your altitude is already higher than ours, you shouldn't have a hard time adjusting. Just normal endurance training.. bicycle riding, running, as stated.. weight lifting.. specially leg work. If you aren't picking up your bike in the sand, you'll be standing on the pegs A LOT. Steering damper will help tremendously.
    What kind of bike are you bringing through?
  4. zivigliano

zivigliano n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm moving to San Diego next month and would like to do the CABDR and Baja in winter 2021 (I have a lot of getting in shape to do), so I will lose any altitude acclimation. I'm currently on a 990 Adv, but in talks to upgrade to a 1090 Adv R. Thanks for the tips! I floated the idea of doing bike lifts in the front yard to my wife, but for some reason, she didn't seem to be down with that idea.
    RonSJC and cyclopathic like this.
  5. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well moving to San Diego you can for sure get a ton of practice at sand riding. That will for sure help you out and discover your either riding or physical short falls before attempting the CABDR. When you finally move you can update this thread and I can give you some recommendations on where to ride. You're going to be moving into the perfect time for desert riding.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you guys thinking riding it 2up?

Also if you are on 990/1090 buddy up; I rode it solo except for section 5 and oh boy was I glad that I had a young buck with me there. When we came to kettle junction Jeep owner told us Hunter mnt was all iced up from snowstorm 7-10days prior. We ended up taking Lippincott which wasn't bad but I wouldn't wanna take it on full size pig and when we came to climb out to valley Sullivan rd had sections iced up. Took us 3hr to clear 2mi stretch it was in 50s melting slippery as hell. 2 if us pushing bike up then sliding back to pick the second one.

CABDR supposed to be the hardest; not that it isn't rideable on big bike solo, but you definitely wanna have plan B when it goes wrong. Also the only way I would do it 2up if my better half was refusing to sign divorce papers.. just saying. If she is driving around with gear and you are riding unloaded that is not a bad plan.
  7. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Hey neighbor,
    I'm going to be making my southbound migration in a couple weeks. I rode most of the SoCal BDR on my 1290SA T. My recommendations for training - cardio rowing would probably be best as it works on your legs for standing and your hands/arms/shoulder for hanging on. Next on my list - cycling with mountain biking being way more fun but road biking will be more accessible depending on where in the San Diego area you end up. And since you're going to be on a moto only a little lighter than mine, some strength training particularly dead lifts as those are the muscles you'll use to pick up the bike. Some bragging - I never dropped the 1290. Reality - I rode the 2 really soft sand sections by paddling so no style points for me. Also, I didn't ride most of the hard options.

The best training for sand - riding sand. Get an old cheap dirt bike and ride that in sand. Ocotillo Wells and Glamis are just over the mountains from San Diego. Once you're feeling good on the dirt bike, take the 1090 into the sand.

If you're riding it two up with your SO, have her/him get in shape for walking. If the SO walks the really hard parts, it's better for both.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. Ikeya-Seki

Ikeya-Seki Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forearms for sand. Neck for wind. Legs for lifting, steering and standing.

I do squats, lunges, push-ups and a variety of stretches. Wrist rolls (winding a weight on a rope) are good. I have a set of dumbbells that I use - starting on the light side and progressing as I improve. Rubber workout bands for neck.

I'm in the beginning stages of a fitness plan(ish) for a big ride next summer, including the CBDR. I'm just 55 and a little broken but in "okay" shape to begin with - so factor that in.

Ride on.
  9. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to add my two cents... make sure that endurance is part of your regiment. With any BDR, you're bound to be putting in back-to-back long days in the saddle. Whether it be on a bike or on a moto, make sure that you put in some long training sessions to push your endurance envelope.
    The other key to endurance is nutrition... priority #1 is stay hydrated at all times, priority #2 is to eat regularly through out your ride. Keep your body fueled up.
    I prefer to eat calories/carbs as needed rather than drinking them when on a ride. I drink plain water or water with only an electrolyte mix (like Nuun) and I avoid sugary drinks like Gatorade and Powerade. This makes it easy to pound the fluids when you need too hydrate without overdoing the carbs and ending up with a bloated gut. I'm a big fan of Nuun, it's easy to carry a small tube of Nuun tablets... every time you top off your bladder with water, just drop in a Nuun tablet and you have a pleasant tasting electrolyte drink.
    yokesman likes this.
  10. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    just peaked in, cal might noit have the altitude of colorado but there is plenty to be had, a low mt laguna or palomar is still some 6700 ft, arise from SL.?
  11. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lot's of fun riding just northeast of San Diego. Anza Borrego and Ocotillo Wells are a couple hours away so you can ride yourself into shape.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought Hunter mnt was more?
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Prepare for alot of sand and riding your bike everyday all day. Can you do that?
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It snows up there for sure.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    IMO,
    The sections north of i-40 is most interesting. Mojave Preserved, Tecopa, Death Valley, Titus Cyn, Alabama hills.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The section south of I-40 isn't bad either