Fitted ear plugs

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by -clinton-, Aug 8, 2018.

1. -clinton-

-clinton- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where did you get yours?

Went to the V.A. today and I’m officially loosing my hearing. I’ve had tinnitus for 15 years. But I’m not getting any younger. The lady who did my test made molds for fitted hearing protection but I would like input before I throw down 150 large. Thank you. Ride safe.
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have mine done several years ago. Best riding accessory I have spend money on. I use it for load environments. I must have for rock concerts.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
  3. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to a indoor gun range and ask who does there hearing protection. Ear Inc, Pro Ear and some others do it. They also have some kits to do it yourself. I have some made by Ear Inc but also use some foam type from Surefire Ep7's that work well. There is lots of options out there for hearing protection including just foam cheap plugs and wax swimming plugs.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  4. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shooters don't wear hearing protection for many hours at a time. They look for maximun protection for short periods of time. Usually standard foam earplugs under heavy earmuffs. If I was going to check with anyone it will be live performing musicians specially rock band players.

5. Aircooled6racer

Oddometer:
    I wear my ear plugs for up to 8 hours straight at a match or training. Custom fitted earplugs are all done the same way even for good quality hearing aids. Custom plugs cost us from about $50 up to $1000 if you want electronic ones. I forgot to add that the ones I had for my racecar days were made the same way also.
    deesee and Endorphin like this.
  6. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Wherever you go, here's a tip that will save you time figuring out which plug goes into which ear. Make the left side red (port) and the right side green (starboard).
    Loff and RoundTrip like this.
  7. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I paid $60 to get a fitted set made at the Horizons Unlimited Ontario meetup this past May and I love them! It’s amazing how much less fatigue I feel after a 6-8 hour ride now that I always wear ear plugs. Oh, the guy who made them made a point of leaving a small dimple on the right side plug in order to differentiate R from L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  8. Themartymac

Themartymac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely! And consider getting them made as an attenuating pair so you keep the full spectrum of sound, just reduced volume. A.k.a. musicians earplugs, but there are motorsport variations too.
  9. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    8 hrs, shooting? Sounds like a lot of ammo.

I know, I know 8 hrs in a loud environment. Custom fit is the way to go. I have to have mine redone. After a few years they so deform and fitting detriorate. Whom ever make them should give you the molds so you cam have them redone. Doing them from an existing mold is a lot cheaper.

10. Aircooled6racer

Oddometer:
    Your ears channels do change over time and if you get them made while you wait in the chair they don't take more than 30 minutes with no molds required. If you do get some made don't use your spit to help install them. Use clean water and wash them to keep them clean every once in a while. less chance of an ear infection them. On a side note most plug makers put a red pull on the right plug as opposed to the nautical way of doing it. Ot you could do what I do and get them in different colors.
  11. codpilot

codpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd been using foam plug for years when I finally bit the bullet and had a pair made on the spot at the local annual Moto show. They’re nice, easy to wear and all day comfortable. BUT, they don’t block as much sound as my Max Lites and occasionally if I yawn or otherwise move my jaw just right, I break the seal and have to remove my helmet to reseat them. After about a month, I went back to the foam plugs.
    Endorphin, mode12 and GiddyThump like this.
  13. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have some custom made plugs which are great and highly recommended .
    But i find that my Arai helmet that I've had for 12 months is really good for limiting wind noise, so i only wear them now on longer rides.
    Its always been the wind noise for me.
  14. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don´t know about anything else than the musician plugs (I´m a drummer), but for those you can choose differend filter, so if you feel like they´re not enough, just squeeze the filters out and swap them for something heavier.
  15. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this isn't what you're asking for but I've been using these for 17 years and love them. I actually cut each one in half so a pack lasts a long time. I keep a pair in a small pill storage container and have them in stashed in motorcycle jackets, tool boxes, ammo bag, at work etc.

https://mightyplugs.com/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    JGT likes this.
  16. Aircooled6racer

Oddometer:
    If you go to your favorite pharmacy store you can find lots of different types of ear protection. Swim plugs work great if you want to see how a molded earplug may work for you. Great for kids since they come in bright colors or you can get them in clear/white. All of these plugs cost less than $10. The segmented ring type plugs don't work that well for me but worth a try. I find they move around when you put your helmet on or move your jar. Comfort and noise reduction is what you are looking for. If they don't feel good you won't where them. I have quite a few friends with hearing damage and it is only going to get worse. Good luck on your search.
  17. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got mine from EAR Inc. at a moto show . . . with drivers in em for listening to music. They through in regular plugs for free.

That was about 6 years ago, and they no longer fit as well as they did when new . . . just a heads up if your figuring long term costs . . .
  18. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Custom earmolds are worth every penny. I have two pair. One with speakers for touring and one pair just plain for in town. They are so comfortable that I use them to sleep in loud environments. Do your ears a favor and spend the money on custom earmolds. Any good audiologist can fit them perfectly and will have different grades of silicone for db reduction.
  19. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've just been to the audiologist today to get some impressions done for a new set of in ear monitors.
    I currently have a set of Ultimate Ear Soundear that are about 5 years old now and still work great.
    I decided to upgrade this year to a set of Custom Fit Guards CF Music Sport II's that have 2 drivers in each unit and detachable leads so they can be used as simple earplugs if I don't need the music.
    https://www.ultimateear.com/products/soundear-motorcyclist
    https://www.customfitguards.co.uk/cf-music-sport