Fitting LED blinkers and tail light to a DRZ400E

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Wilmo, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Gees, I had some drama's getting these to work....anyway, sorted now - here's how.

I bought the 'Edge' LED Tail Light and '601' Blinkers from Wheeling Cycle Supply in the USA cause I knew I'd break off the Suzuki junk the bike comes with in the Dirt on the first outing. Forrest Green is the owner and is great to deal with. see http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com

The 'Edge' is specifically designed for the DRZ400, and the blinkers fit no problems too. To make the install neater, buy the brackets for them for the front, the rear brackets came with the Edge tail light. You should also get the DRC 'IC Relay' which is an electronic flasher unit. If you don't fit it, then your blinkers will flash faster once you install the LED blinkers on the rear.

Theoretically, the IC relay is also supposed to handle 4 LED indicators and keep everything working at correct blink rate etc. By all accounts it does on S model bikes, but E's must be wired up differently, and this is where I ran into problems. After following the instructions provided to install the flasher unit, and fitting the LED's to all corners, I found that when I selected either left or right all 4 blinkers would flash in unison! (at the correct speed - not fast).

I found that what is required on my Aussie spec DRZ400E, is a resistor to be wired in parallel with the front LED indicator to provide enough load for the flashers to work correctly left and right. I tried a few different resistors that I had, and settled on the 10W 47ohm ceramic wire wound resistor, one wired in parallel with the left front flasher and one wired in parallel with the right.

I tested 10w 18ohm resistors but they heated up to much (too hot to hold), and 10w 68ohm resistors still allowed the opposite blinker to flash slightly (very low brightness compared to the 'selected' side). The 10w 47ohm resistor on each side provides enough load to make the whole system work, but it doesn't get too hot. It does heat up quite a bit, but after 5 minutes of flashing you can still hold it between your fingers so its not a problem.

Pic 1 - wiring in the IC relay - it comes with instructions and as others have found, you use the light blue and orange wires pulled out of the standard suzuki relay socket. Black from the DRC relay to earth (black wire with white stripe anywhere on the bike).

[​IMG]

Pic 2 - The ceramic resistor I used (from Jaycar electronics)

[​IMG]

Pic 3 - The ceramic resistor I used once wired up for install and covered in heavy duty heat shrink.

[​IMG]

Pic 4 - Wiring the resistor in Parallel!
    [​IMG]

Pic 5 - The 601 LED indicator on the front left
    [​IMG]

Pic 6 - The EDGE LED Tail light and 601 LED indicators (perfect for the DRZ) on the rear. I mounted the flashers close in to avoid breaking them off in the dirt. Way smaller than the Standard indicators but quite bright still.

[​IMG]

Pic 6 - my new DRZ complete with new Pro-taper KX Hi bars and LED Tail Light and Indicators working on all four corners. (yes the speedo blinker indicator light flashes too).

[​IMG]

A big thumbs up to Forrest at Wheeling Cycle Supply for his assistance and fine service. :thumbup
  2. Hill Billy

Hill Billy Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That bike is too clean.
    Go and get it dirty.
  3. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Will be as soon as the weather cools off.....
  4. lukass

lukass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May wanna put the original speedo in a box and install a trailtech or similar..OEM is very dear..
  5. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Yep currently looking into that, leaning towards the Trailtech Vapor, and also a lighter headlight unit - the oem one must weigh a tonne with all those steel brackets bolted to the forks.

I think Acerbis make a reasonable one 'DDH' or something?

Took the DRZ for its first ride late this arvo.....I'd forgotten what 100km/h feels like on a dirt bike with Nobbies, and with a 15knot cross wind on the freeway.... Think I might have to get the tyres balanced though.
  6. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Finally got all the parts to add to the DRZ, and put them on today. Hoping these will add durability and performance to ensure a long enjoyable life for the bike and the most fun for the rider (me) on the trail.

Thought I'd post in case anyone is researching to do the same. Happy to answer any questions.

Mods:-

Unibiker Radiator Guards

[​IMG]

BB Bash Plate and Thumpertalk case protectors

[​IMG]

BB Case Saver

[​IMG]

BB Exhaust tip and ADV sticker!

[​IMG]

MSC Pilot Steering Stabiliser

[​IMG]

LED blinkers and tail light

[​IMG]

Protaper SE KX Hi bars with Ballards 20mm bar risers, needed to re route throttle cables behind bars a la KTM because of rise

[​IMG]

Trailtech Vapor Computer (gives Temp/Tach as well) with custom fabricated sensor mount bracket and computer mount bracket. RAM mount for GPS

[​IMG]

Safari 17L tank

[​IMG]

Just need some decent tyres once the OEM ones wear out, and yes it has been used lately....just cleaned after being ridden!
  7. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now thats a nice bit o' gear!:clap :clap
  8. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Wilmo, that bike looks nice. Re your throttle cable, you should try flipping the housing ove so the cables exit on the bottom. It allowed me enough length for conventional routing even with big bars and bar risers.

Waiting for the snow to melt,
    drcool
  9. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    yeah, but if you flip them over, then water and dirt runs straight down the cables.....that's why I routed them as I did (KTMs do this standard) and its works just fine.
  10. thorn

thorn n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wilmo for the great write up on the installation advice for the Edge light kit. I've already received my kit for my DRZ400sm and have just started to pull the panels off. I live in Booragoon so it was handy having local knowledge of where to get the parts from. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again Craig
  11. rigs_au

rigs_au Corripe Cervisiam

Oddometer:
    Wilmo,

Good writeup and nice bike.

Cheers.
  12. saintell

saintell Monarchs #30

Oddometer:
    Hi Wilmo,I noticed you have an E trax fitted,how do you find it?I have probably an earlier version(yellow 2000) works OK but doesnt seem to have a lot of memory any tips? cheers Nev:evil:evil
  13. Mark 42

Mark 42 Foiley

Oddometer:
    I know it's an old message thread, but...

Why were the resistors needed if an IC relay was used?

I thought the point of the IC flasher was so that you wouldn't have
    to have a load at each turn signal (and the point of LEDs is to reduce
    current draw).

Someone should make a solid state flasher that just plugs right
    in place of the OEM one! That'd be a good selling product, I think.

Thanks
  14. Siva

Siva Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer:
    :thumbup......
  15. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    They do!:evil

Attached Files:

16. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Just a side note...I've now junked the LED blinkers, they broke too easily! In their place are Ballards Yamaha $10 blinkers (same as the ones on the KTM exc' as well), these are unbreakable and actually more visible than the LEDs. Cheaper than the $40 blinkers from Suzuki.

Added bonus is you don't need the resistors. It was something about the way the switch works on the DRZ which meant you needed the resistors with the LEDs from memory. I was using an aftermarket electronic flasher relay but still needed the resistors. Anyway, my advice would be to use conventional bulbed indicators on the DRZ.....cheaper and easier to fit.
  17. edgy

edgy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Edge tail tidy looks awesome! My next mod!
    Wilmo which Yamaha are your blinkers from? How about a pic?:D
  18. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
  19. dunno_where

dunno_where 130km open roads!

Oddometer:
    to WILMO and others,

this day in age everyone is going for LED tail lights, blinkers and even headlights. Thats great because they use bugger all power and apparently is better for the environment. FANTASTIC!

A WORD OF WARNING!

I used a brand, that i won't name, who sold me a tail light with LED's. The bloody thing got rooted after i cleaned it with a standardgarden hose. The "water tight seals" are a bloody sales gimic and you get water across the circuit boards and they flash like a 70's disco, or just become rooted. Throw away.

Same with you blinkers/indicators. I you don't stuff em' with bloody silicon they get the same effect. Then with these, there is the issue as outlined that there is alot of stuff-arsen' about getting the flah rate right to meet ADR standards. So on and so forth.

For both cases when your tail light or indictors do pack it in, how do yu change the bulbs??? You bloody can't!!!! You need to change the whole thing out.

I went back to using bulbs in my blinkers and tail light. Why?
    1 - if they blow.. change the bulb, no the whole thing
    2 - if they get water in them. it ain't gonna play up.
    3 - cheap to buy and readily accesable.
    4 - no pissing around with resistors, circuit boards, and extra work just to make it look nice.
    5 - if you snap one off on the trail or if you hit the deck, instead of $50 per light its only $20.

What you save in carbon emission (another bloody government conspiricy and a bloody sale pitch) by using LED's, you counter act with the broken un replaceable parts that end up in land fill when the f***n thing does work.

they look good but are they really worth the time and effort just to make your bike look different???
  20. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    NO!

That is why I went back to standard blinkers too....$10 from Ballards!

The Edge LED Tail light are a good unit however, sold my one on the bike and it had been through 10K of punishment. No probs with it. First thing I did when I got it as I recall was run a small bead of silicon around the edge of the lens though!

:D