Five Deserts- Australia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bikerooter, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Killametre

Killametre no time for photos

Oddometer:
    When set right they stop your arms stretching on long transports at speed. The wind hits your chin not your chest. If you make them any bigger ie. so they block all the wind they would not last more than a day on one of our rides you would either smash it off with your helmet or a tree branch. Notice the big one on the Kelpie carrying KTM 640 disapeared. :rofl
  2. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    so what are they, and where do you get them?
  3. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Go to your local hardware store and get the thicker plexiglass and cut it to size then re-shape with a heat gun, use a drill and mount it with some stainless steel hardware. Nothing special.
  4. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Envy doesnt come close.

Stunning report :thumb
  5. Killametre

Oddometer:
    Ours are lexan i think (Tough) bikerooter made it i believe he shapes it cold.
  6. stookie

stookie Black sheep

Oddometer:
    I got home from work, lit the fire, made a coffe and settled down to a read of ADV rider. (im new) Its now 9pm and i have not even attemted to amke dinner. I read this start to finish.....now Im gagging on the next bit.

Maybe i should eat something.

Excellent , EXCELLENT stuff.
  7. SepticSkeptic

SepticSkeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :bow:bow:bow

I'd say you got your revenge, and then some. Great report. The route pics were a very nice touch. Mend quickly Mike.
  8. bikerooter

bikerooter the hard way

Oddometer:
    Day18 827km

[​IMG]
    Dawn at Birdsville, pretty chilly, I wore the raincoat over my jacket for the first time on the trip

[​IMG]
    When the light arrived Rodger discovered where the pigeons had roosted for the evening

3D wasn't afraid to hold the throttle on as we hauled the 385k toward Windorah on the fast smooth gravel, watching the GPS so as to know when to back off the gas to stay out of Woody's dust as the road changed direction into the wind. The blind man at Windorah took our money for fuel and we settled down at the pub for a steak sandwich while we waited for the Gympie fuel skimmers to refuel 20k down the road.

[​IMG]
    Excellent steak sandwich at Windorah

[​IMG]
    The little Cafe and pub are an oasis in the arid surroundings

This is where we shook hands with the Gympie boys and hauled outa town hoping to make Muttaburra before dark or roo strike. My DR used a liter more fuel than the others by the time we reached Longreach with the throttle cables still squealing in the liners.

[​IMG]
    Not exactly sure how these suckers work but they sure are shiny

3D and I split a couple of Herefords but Rodger didn't read it properly and almost clipped one and threw the 640 down in some ruts busting the GPS off the dash, at least he wouldn't be able to tell what the real speed was then.

[​IMG]
    Rodger collects himself after near collecting a cow

The roos were hanging on the side of the road as we neared Muttaburra, the council doesn't slash the verges of the roads out here, they have to use a grader cause there are too many corpses for the slasher to cope with.

[​IMG]
    Rodger threw the bat and ball on the ground and was letting us know exactly what he thought of our game

Rodger had a bit of a dummy spit on the grass at the front of the Exchange Hotel, something about high speeds and marsupials and our need for mental assessments. Back in proper steak country now, awesome feed and a few fizzy pops.

[​IMG]
  9. bikerooter

bikerooter the hard way

Oddometer:
    Day 19 551km

The roos were thick up to the Ludgate turn off as we cut through Morinya National Park to the Torrens Creek road and onto the tar for the blast to home.

[​IMG]
    The shortcut through Ludgate was clean and fast and full of roos

[​IMG]
    The strong winds through Morinya NP keep our little group of four together by blowing all the dust away

[​IMG]
    Yet another Exchange Hotel, this time at Torreens Creek

We stopped for a feed in the Maccas garden at Charters and rolled the last 140k in formation, passing everything on the road. 3D left us at the Walkabout as he still had 120km to home up past Ingham while Rodger and I rode straight to the Suzuki shop with a wounded DR. We had accomplished our mission and doing so had traversed five deserts, the Gibson, Little Sandy, Great Sandy, Tanami and the Simpson. Along with covering three states and one territory, Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory and chewing up three rear tyres each and a mob of petrol in a little over 8000 km's.

[​IMG]
    mr bones likes this.
  10. Crofty

Crofty Life's a Garden, DIG IT!

Oddometer:
    Great work rooter!
  11. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :bow :bow :bow :thumb :thumb Awesome RR thanks.
  12. bikerooter

bikerooter the hard way

Oddometer:
    The extra bits

[​IMG]
    Fishes Bum was airlifted by the Royal Australian Flying Doctors Service from a very remote location in Western Australia to a Perth hospital for medical treatment

We all rely on this service one way or another whether it be yourself or your mates so as a motorcyclist make it your duty to donate to the RFDS and help fund this vital service.

[​IMG]
    As you can see, Fish's leg broke just above the plate which was already in there so it was a fresh one.
    KEEP YA TOES TUCKED IN

DR set up

The engines are stock standard. The jetting has been changed to suite the Staintune system. Main is #135 and the needle is set lower by one clip position.

Gearing is 15 : 42 using JT sprockets

We all use higher bars with Jeremery Mcgrath Fat bars popular. This allows plenty of room for the Explorist XL gps units which are rubber mounted using XR indicator rubbers.

All the DR's were fitted with heated grips and sturdy barkbusters.

Mine and Adc's have the choke removed from the bars using a $20 honda unit, one extra cable not to rip off.

The small mirror was a winner with most having to remove theirs in the trees, mine made the whole journey.

The rear guard extenders are handmade units which take the led indicators also providing space for the rear spreader for the rack system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side racks are made from 5/8" hydraulic tubing to incorporate the Staintune setup. The rear rack is made from 3/8" stainless tube.

The bags we use are made to order by a local upholsterer. They fit to the 300 X 300 square section of the rack, some have over the seat straps to allow their use on different bikes without full racks. The canvas is generally tough but the slappy sticks in the CSR sorted them out. Some of the bags had pockets front and back but the bottles or tins in the front pockets came in for some rough treatment.

The suspension was done pretty much the same in all the DR's except for the rear spring rates as two bike had Ohlins springs as the Race Tech or Ebachs were not available.
    The forks have #46 springs with cartrige emulators and the rear has about an 8kg /mm spring and revalved with a gold valve, all up about $1100 using Shock Treatment out of Sydney. They have the recipe now so it is easy for them. Our rebounds runs a little faster than most riders would be use to but the tyre tracks the ground well.

As Adc pointed out the small screens on the bikes are to take the wind off your chest. These are made from polycarbonate which can be worked cold but the DR screens were made with a shaped piece of wood screwed into a cake tin. A blank of the plastic was placed in the cake tin in the oven at 160 for 20 minutes and allowed to conform to the wood and therefore the front plastic of the bike. Then just trim it up and fix it with bolts and large washers.

All the DR's ran Dunlop 606's on the rear and mine was the only one with a Dunlop 490 on the front while the others had Maxxis IT Deserts, which last well but are not a good sand tyre or much good on loose gravel, but they last well. Woody used a Michelen Desert from Alice and reckoned it was the goods in the sand especially on the 990.

THE END
    mr bones and KarenB like this.
  13. ant f

ant f Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great photos, report and adventure!! well done and thanks for posting!!:clap

any chance of a set up report on the KTMs??
  14. Mr Mike

Mr Mike Savy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What an epic adventure! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
  15. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that was awesome!

If any trip I've read here deserves to have been recorded on video it was that one! I'd pay money for that!

Nothing I can say will do justice to it... so I'll just say THANKS! And shut up!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  16. Killametre

Oddometer:
    Hey sra well done mate, a big thankyou from me and i'm sure the rest of the crew for organizing the biggest unsuported ride most of us will ever do. The ride report was great and just tops it all off. Thank you also for making all the accesories on my bike which stood up to some realy tough conditions. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap Cheers Adc
  17. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    On the ribbon of black, Melbourne, Australia
    You guys rock. :thumb
  18. stathill

stathill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G’day all, fish here.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thought I may drop in to give a parallel report on my subsequent adventures after bidding the boys farewell and returning to Kunawaritji in the back of the ambo with a broke leg.
    <o:p></o:p>
    My foot had caught a smallish termite mound obscured by spinifex on the edge of the wheel track. That’s it on the right with the resultant debris on the track.

New Picture1.jpg

I was in 2<SUP>nd</SUP> gear probably doing 20 -30km/h. The initial impact broke both the tibial & fibula but I don’t know that it immediately registered. Sure I knew something was wrong as there was this bang and my leg was at a strange angle but I wobbled on for a few seconds then stepped off as the bike fell over to the right.

Unfortunately that was the side of my crook leg and having no bones to support the leg, it drove part of the bone out the back of my leg. We only discovered this some 3 hours later when the nurse cut the boot off to see what damage had been done…
  19. stathill

stathill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just Taking it easy waiting for the trip back to Kunawaritji. The ute in the backgraund is from the community and picked up my bike.

Ambo.jpg
  20. stathill

stathill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Returning back over the 65km of dunes and corrugated road back to the clinic, I had to put my good leg on top of the crook leg to hold it down. Although there was no pain (the Endone painkillers work well) the feeling of the bones grating together over the corrugations was distracting.

rear view.jpg