1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed a Zero XU

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Mattbastard, Apr 11, 2018.

1. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your dc to dc converter is wired incorrectly, disconnecting your MBB to key circuit wouldnt do anything about the lights coming on at all times. Does it have a contactor or solenoid? Is it a sevcon controller or alltrax? you need to confirm exactly what bike you have because 2012 was a weird era. you could have a brushed or brushless motor, a leftover 2011 bike etc etc.
  2. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I don't have a clue about any of that. I've seen references to the DC/DC converter but no idea what it does or how to troubleshoot - is that what provides 12VDC for lights, etc?
    Parsing the VIN says 2012 IIRC. No idea how to ID the motor or controller.
    It would really help if Zero would provide support. Tech manuals, schematics, a build sheet, anything beyond the owner's manual.
    I'm even running into obstacles getting the seat off because apparently they employed Mr. Mongo to torque all the hardware on the assembly line.
  3. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. ridenm

Oddometer:
  5. WKUWIZ

WKUWIZ Riding the Highway Supporter

Oddometer:
    RIdenm - Glad you are tinkering with this. I finally gave in, paid $300 to ship my 2012XU back to Zero HQ. They did a fantastic job on it. New Controller. They even found some old plastics for me to replace a couple that were cracked. I cannot say enough good things about them. Hint - I am not an electrical engineer...
    The bike works beautifully yet I only get about 22 miles on the rebuilt batteries. But it'll hit 52mph with my 200# slab on top. I use it around the neighborhood and just have fun. My other main bike is a 2016 K1600GT so it gets most use.
    Glad to hear you keep plugging away. I am intrigued enough to consisder a new Zero should the price be right.
  6. ridenm

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was running some errands in town, so I stopped by my local electronic parts supply. I was looking to fab the TTY cable to talk to the MBB. I had been dealing with them for decades, but my recent career change hasn't required but one trip in seven years. Anyway, none of the counter sales people I used to see are there anymore. I go in and ask the woman behind the counter for a USB/TTL cable and she looks at me like I'm crazy. So I say "point me to the USB cables." Nothing even close to what I need. Then I ask her if they have any male OBDII connectors, "like you use to plug into car computers." Nada. So much for supporting local businesses. Guess I'll order the parts on Amazon.
  7. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. ridenm

Oddometer:
    @dentvet, IIRC the thread by Peter described exactly the problem I am experiencing. The MBB seems to be the culprit. Plan now is to normal up the key switch, lights, and instrument cluster after I verify the key switch works correctly. Then I'm going to contact AF1 in Dallas, which is the nearest Zero service center, and talk to them about sourcing a replacement MBB. I'll also work on communicating with the existing MBB and see if I can do a reset/reboot if I can find the sufficient high-level password to issue the command.
  9. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    The XU comes with a really basic Alltrax 300A controller similar to what's used in gold carts. Sevcon is really more for brushless motors.

When I gutted mine I went with an Alltrax SR model, 300A, 48 VDC. It worked great because I could program it with my laptop, and it bolted right up to the chassis. Used the same holes and everything.
  10. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. ridenm

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the radio silence. I have done nothing with the bike except order the pieces to fab up a OBDII comms dongle. I'm expecting the parts to arrive in a day or two. I was distracted by plumbing and other household/family issues.