1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing the 1980 yz465

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by mudmantra, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mudmantra

mudmantra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the YZ465 out in the woods. Just a little test ride to get used to it again. Traction was good with the new 120x18 MX51 and the flywheel weight. Throttle control was good and it still rips with a little extra added. :evil. I think I need to balance out the front brake. It drags a little, but if I give it more free play, I have to pull the lever too much. I need to reinstall the bark busters. I already dropped it once when a tree decided to smack the bars. I installed the side covers/number plates today. I need to make a spacer for the flywheel cover too. Just a few more things to tighten up and fix.
    [​IMG]
  2. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    I'm still riding and working on the YZ465. Fixed the front brake, adjusted the shoes to get the mushy feel out of it. Plus I discovered cable mount at the wheel was cracked. I fixed it with some JB weld, it might even be stronger than the original mount, because I filled in the unnecessary cable slot. Front brakes work great. Back brakes are still and on/off switch. I made some extra thick gaskets for the flywheel/weight cover. It well work for now, but I'm still going to make a better spacer for it. Just doing some slow trail riding for now. The picture makes the trail look flat, it's not. Kind of got off to the side and the bike decide to park itself. :evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://youtu.be/9xPYfcLOU-I
  3. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that's convenient, since the 465 has no kickstand. :lol3

I like your vid and I "liked" it as well. :D That bike sounds good--a sound that isn't heard nearly enough these days.
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an OEM kickstand and spring for my 465. In a box. :D
  5. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    I have a side stand. Not the original though, I modified a 79 YZ250 side stand. I think the original YZ465 side stand is pretty rare.
    [​IMG]
  6. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops, I forgot motocrossers still had kickstands back then. :shog
  7. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    Found and fixed a rattle. The old chain guide was bent and worn out. Found a replacement for a low price and installed it. One more thing fixed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    I've been riding the YZ465 a lot. I should install the bark busters and maybe look at the spark plug some day. It's been starting super easy cold. Turn the gas on, choke on, lean it over to touch the peg once, push the compression release, five easy cycles with the kick starter, and then one good kick and it starts. :thumb
    [​IMG]