1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

FJ_Kevin's CR250, 390 & 430 Vintage Husqvarna Restoration Extravaganza!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too. Going racing this year with this pair.
    The WR400 I rebuilt this winter. The CR250 was bought in this condition last month. Waiting for the weather to warm up :vardy
    [​IMG]
  2. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great looking bikes. That 250 is fabulous! I hear that the Husky 400 motor is one of the best also.

Great you will be racing them. I hope you will consider taking photos and posting a race report on the events you participate in. Plenty here would love to see this!

Thanks for posting!
  3. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    OK, so I have made good progress on my 390 motor rebuild but thought I would share my artistic side with the folks here.

You know, I don't want to come across as too one dimensional in my interests so to speak. :lol3

I'm talking about photography! What of? Motorcycles of course! :rilla

I have been fooling around with these really groovy "apps" you see. These are the ones for your phone that allow you to manipulate your photos and do things like making them look like pencil sketches or oil paintings. And I am really digging it.

So yes, like I said before it's really groovy. And I'd like to bore you for six or seven minutes and do a little thing for your vintage Husqvarna enjoyment. Excuse me for a minute and just let me show off my pics and photos alright?

Right now I'd like to show a little thing that even got several likes form Lyle Lovett on the Vintage Husky Facebook page. This little thing I call "My Rolling Vintage Husky Stone". :drums

Titles shown above each photo so you can follow along.

"Once up a time you dressed so fine, didn't you?" in cartoon :super

[​IMG]

"How does it Feel to be on your own?" in oil

[​IMG]

"Threw the bums a dime in your prime" :kat

[​IMG]

And this variant... "Your Bound to Fall" in oil :muutt

[​IMG]

"You used to laugh about all those hanging out" also in oil :beer

[​IMG]

"Look at you now, you don't talk so loud" in pencil :2cry

[​IMG]

"You never compromise" in color pencil :pynd

[​IMG]

"How does it feel" in oil :rilla

[​IMG]

"Look at you, like a rolling stone" b&w cross hatch :drink

[​IMG]

Not sure what inspired this exactly.

Euromad likes this.
  4. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be happy to share some pics and stories. There will be some good events this year. The Northeast Husky gathering is near Cortland NY and coincides with an AHRMA race.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  5. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pictures Kevin!
    Where is this? just tried to find it, didn't come up.
  6. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay on this but here you go,

First is the Vintage Husqvarna Motorcycles Group, hope this works,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/488495707863731/

This next one is called the Husqvarna Vintage Club,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/719424051427524/

Haha, these days all I am connected to is vintage motorcycle groups... a good way to drown out the politics and hate (most of the time) . I was beginning to refer to it as hatebook but things seem to be settling down now.

There are some other good vintage motocross groups, I enjoy seeing the old photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, obnoxious old guys-sheesh! Thanks Kevin. I hang out in the old bike areas. I only have two current bikes- A Buell Uysses and a KTM 300. Everything else is 30-40 years old.
    The pictures remind me when I started racing in 1975- had a worn out 74 CR125 I rebuilt. It was fast, I wasn't.
  8. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    OK, so enough foolery and back to business.

I am taking a slight detour here to chat a little bit about these darn Husqvarna rear wheels. Many posts ago I showed a rear wheel with a loose bearing on the drive side, so loose it would fall out if the wheel was leaned over.
    There were several suggestions on how I might tighten it up to make it usable. Many suggested roughing up the inner surface or using a punch along the perimeter to reduce the diameter or gluing the bearing in with Loctite or JB weld, etc, etc.

Needing a rear wheel for the CR250, I wound up using the punch method in combination with a shim made from feeler gauge. I shoved the bearing in there real tight and thought I might be good for awhile.

Well, that repair didn't work out to well as it only took a couple of rides and the bearing was loose as $hit again. And a small bit of movement at the bearing translates to enough movement at the brake drum to modulate the pedal.
    Basically, the rear brake action was terrible on this otherwise fine machine and so this was one of the items put on the hit list for this winter.

My first thought was to chuck the hub in a lathe to bore it out for a collar to refit the bearing and I disassembled the wheel to do this. But after some measuring, I decided there wasn't enough meat in the hub for this to be a viable solution over the long term. So instead I took my chances and bought another wheel off ebay.

To my surprise, the hub on the new wheel was a little bit different. This also got me to comparing the wheels on my other Huskys.
    So yes, it seems Husky made quite a few changes in hub design thoughout the '80's. And apparently to address the loose bearing problem.

Here is the picture of the problematic hub that I believe came from a CR500. Bearing is out, you can seem my punch marks. Notice how those webs fall quickly away from where the bearing sits. Perhaps too quickly as they do little to prevent distortion in that area of the hub. Also, the steel brake drum liner protrudes from hub. The liner is wider than some other Husky hubs and I have heard there are narrow and wide versions of rear brake shoes for these bikes.

[​IMG]

So again we are not talking about those conical hubs used in the '70's but the hubs with equal spoke flanges that keep the spoke lengths the same (they did get that right!).

[​IMG]

So one thing you will want to take notice of in the above photo is the lack of ribs in parallel with the sprocket mounting flange. Now compare with the improved hub below. This one has an extra rib, it is also thicker at the sprocket mounting bolts and requires longer bolts.

[​IMG]

Here is another wheel I have for the CR430. Fortunately it is the improved version. I think anyone looking for a replacement wheel should look for one with the newer style hub.

[​IMG]

Another thing that took a little working out was fitting the rear brake plate. The full floating brake plates all seem to be very similar but I found my original brake plate would hit the outer lip of the brake liner before the axle bushing would seat against the hub bearing The solution for me was to press out the original bronze bushing, flip over the brake plate, and press it back ! Odd I know but it worked!

Here is one of the brake plates I have around with the bronze bushing already removed.

[​IMG]

Anyway, the updated wheel went in no problem. Bearings are tight, no rocking motion around the brake plate. I hoping this will give me a decent rear brake!

[​IMG]

With the updated while fitted I couldn't resist taking a stab at the kicker... started 1st kick!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  9. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying a new rear wheel because my '86 wheel was loose and the brake stay was broken. $60 got me a nice tight rear wheel from Kalifornia.
    Glad you were able to get a good one. Will you be cooing to any of the AHRMA races?
  10. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Those are nice bikes. I have a friend who owns a Buell, he really likes it.

My newest machine is an 86 FJ1200. I have never ridden a water cooled dirtbike and certainly non of the new 4-strokes. I did buy a new issue of MXA and DIRTBIKE (1st time in 15 years) when I was shopping for a valentines day card for my wife. Cool stuff but color schemes gave me a migraine! I would like to take a new machine and mount a traditional tank and seat on it and tone down the paint job.

The only water cooled street bike I have ridden is my 1978 Goldwing. I rode my 1970 Guzzi Ambassador to work last week.
    I had a '40s era rotary phone hooked up in my house until we recently dropped the land line. And I have two VW busses tucked away for the day when you can only buy self driving cars. :-)
  11. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    I said my peace about rear wheels, how about the front?

Although the CR250 is running Yamaha stuff up front, I am planning to run Husky forks and front wheel on the CR430 I have been tinkering with. The bike came to me with a single leading shoe front brake with a rather tired looking wheel.
    Some time ago, I picked up a complete and fairly fresh looking front wheel with gold anodized (instead of gold painted) Norwegian Nordisk rim. As luck would have it, another wheel would come my way, this time with one of those coveted double leading shoe brakes.

Since I have recently sorted a rear wheel for this bike, I thought I would setup the front too. My plan was to use the wheel that came with the SLS brake but drop in the superior DLS brake in its place. To my surprise it is not a simple swap as on Yamahas.

Here is why. It turns out that the wheel bearing on the SLS hub is recessed in the hub as can be seen in this photo. The bushing in the sls brake plate is setup to account for this naturally.

[​IMG]

Now have a look at the DLS front wheel. The bearing is flush with the hub!

[​IMG]

So if you are thinking of upgrading your Husky front brake with a DLS brake plate, be prepared to machine a new bushing to account for these differences.

There are some external differences to the hubs as well.
    First up is the early wheel. The small diameter flange is steel and fitted to an alloy hub.

[​IMG]

The newer DLS hub is alloy all the way across. No steel flange here (sorry for fuzzy photo).

[​IMG]

More to come...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Had a chance to take the 250 for a spin a couple of weeks ago. The replacement rear wheel and brake assembly seems to have done the trick. Much better brake action and feel at the pedal. I've got some other brake plates around that have worn bronze bushings. Once those bushings wear the plate cocks and the brake action suffers. Honestly, the bushing is rather small and I think Husky should have done better here, especially after seeing a KTM 420 floating brake setup where they use a bearing.

Here is one of those plates with the bushing pressed out. This one also needs a bushing on the actuating shaft.

[​IMG]

In any case, it is possible to have a good brake with everything set properly.

So I think this bike is dialed in pretty well now with this updated YZ front end and ohlins shock setup. The motor starts easy and runs well. It goes pretty good but takes some careful gear selection in the corners to keep it on the pipe. It is definitely less forgiving than an open bike in this regard. I am still thinking the best combination will be a 390 motor in this chassis setup.

I guess I need to complete the 390 motor still on the bench. No matter what though, these are cool bikes and fun to ride. And I 'm really digging that classic vintage Husky twin shock look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    juicy flawless likes this.
  13. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. fabrizio

fabrizio SE Michigan - loves old motocross!

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

Love the thread. fantastic stuff and photos!

I'm restoring a 1980 Husky WR 250 and I just hit a wall. I'm almost done and now I just can't get it started and need to troubleshoot.

Rather than get into specifics, might anyone who knows these bikes happen to live in southern Michigan? I would love to meet someone in person who could help guide me in the right direction but I don't know where to start.

Any advise would be welcomed, if someone could recommend someone or a shop that would be amazing. thanks kindly!
  15. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    Liking this thread! I just got a CR250 '80 last week :)
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  16. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
  17. jimspac

jimspac n00b

Oddometer:
    All the damage in these cases are simple to fix. I use JB Weld instead of TIG welding to repair magnesium case sets. I use Evapo Rust to clean rust on items like the crank shaft and even salvaged some crank bearings.
  18. Mats

Mats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bit late to comment your bearing issue maybe..but might help others.
    [​IMG]

A friend of mine told me the punch marks should be on the bearing surface as below pic, in combination with correct type LocTite (sorry can't remember the number..).
    EDIT: Loctite 648
    punch.jpg
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  19. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    It's been quite awhile since my last posting on Husqvarna's so I thought I would post some updates on some recent activities... and there has been plenty, believe me!

First, that 1980 250CR has turned into one of my favorite rides. The YZ front end mod with YZ DLS front brake is definitely the way forward on these.
    Huskys have a reputation for great straight line stability (true) but also a reputation as being less than great turners. I think the 43mm forks upgrade (vs the 35's) are a huge help in this regard and really add to handling overall.

[​IMG]

I also really dig the alloy tank of this era, that low flat tank makes it very easy to slide forward in the turns. So now I had a great handling Husky, with great suspension and pretty good braking. I felt the bike was pretty near perfect.

What was missing? A big bore motor, that's what!

I was adjusting pretty well to the 250 but knew it could really be a kick ass machine given a wild beast open bike type motor. And that's one of the nice things about these Husky's. The frames are shared across the 250's and open bikes. The 250 and 390's even share mounting points so the 390 will slip in there without even a change in motor mount plates.

A 390 engine for a future build was already on the work bench but by mid summer it was not quite finished. However, I did have that completed green 78 390 with fresh motor that rarely gets ridden. This is so because I've kept it original, and as such I find the suspension is a little too dated compared to others in the fleet.

So what the heck, why not move that sweet 390 into the tricked out 250 chassis so I can ride it while the good weather is here? That 390 bench motor can go into the 78 sometime later in the winter after the riding season is over.

Plus, you know, I'm not getting any younger and want to enjoy this stuff while I still can!

So here is the 250CR but now transformed into a 390CR. Fresh Ohlins rear shocks and 43mm KYB forks, ready to do battle!

[​IMG]

And a close view of that 390 heart. The swap only too a couple of hours. The 250 pipe does not fit the 390 jug but I already had a spare 390 pipe around. The other nice thing is that jetting is already setup on this motor. So all very easy which was good as I wanted ride it!

[​IMG]

So how did it go? In short, it kicks ass! Super fun wheelie machine!

[​IMG]

A friend came over to the farm with his 2018 KTM 150. He's a good rider and has done some updates to it. No open bike but I was truly surprised about how much power KTM is getting out of 150cc's. It is running a 110 tire out back, same as me! The brakes were pretty sweet too. The disk on front was very impressive.

But these new tricks aren't for an old dog like me! I like the old iron! Anyway, here are some snaps from that very fun day we had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Showing off!

[​IMG]

More to come...
  20. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Quick question. On the '80 husky 250, On the left shock res. With the schrader valve facing up the way it is when strapped on the frame, is the Ohlins sticker right side up? or upside down? from the factory. :ear