1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

FJ_Kevin's CR250, 390 & 430 Vintage Husqvarna Restoration Extravaganza!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, Mar 25, 2014.

1. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kevin.......my friend you've got a problem.

[​IMG]
    dpforth likes this.
  2. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

HI Mr. Danger... I didn't know the answer off hand so took some time to look at my ohlins equipped bikes and other ohlins shocks I have stashed away.

My 80 250 does not have the ohlins decals anymore. I guess they fell off.

My 430 has remote ohlins off another Husky that I never owned. It has yellow decals and are upside down on the remote reservoir when it is mounted in the usual position.

All the other shocks I have are missing the decal.

This brings me to the piggyback ohlins on the maico. Here the decals are mounted "right side up".

The bottom line is I don't know how they came originally. I bet Philip at Husqvarna knows, try him!
    rick danger likes this.
  3. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Oh it's much much worst than this photo, haha!

Happy New Year to you!
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Many thanks!! See you are from long island. I grew up in Yonkers. Bought my '77 husky from Owl motorcycles in Bayshore LI. Wonder if you heard of them. 20190123_061156.jpg
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  6. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Been a little tied up but yes, I grew up on LI in a town called Bellport on the south shore. The Owl boys helped me out with Maico parts at cost during the 1980 season (if I remember correctly) and gave me a couple of free Owl jerseys that I wish I still had. I remember Tom, Randy and then an older guy whose name escapes me at the moment. Owl threw me a Husky rear wheel to use in my Maico when the mag hub in my magnum went south. The Magnum in the Maico thread reflects a lot of the modifications put into place during that time on LI.

They would also put on a hare & hound from time to time out in the LI pine barrens, in the Quogue area. It was great fun, well attended. We would get a couple of ISDT guys showing up and it would turn into a woods guy vs motocrosser competition, ha!

Ride out there now and you would get arrested and you bike confiscated. Its sad. Thinking about it I can count off at least 7 different practice courses we had to choose from back then. Add to this the power lines/fire roads and extensive trails through the pine barrens.

Guys would meet up two or three times a week at the various courses according to which day of the week it was. You would pull in and there would be vans and pickups lined up. Music blaring, guys adjusting the bikes and pulling on their leathers. You would ride until the sun went down then jump in the truck all worn out and filthy dirty. Some of our courses were very long, styled off European type tracks we would see in magazines.

Great fun back then... all done now unfortunately.
    rick danger likes this.
  7. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Cool, yeah practice tracks are probably condos now. I used to race district 34 metropolitan sports committee. I raced out in bridgehamton once. Found out what a wooped out sand track was. :muutt good times. Try and hit unadilla rewind this year in june. http://unadillamx.com/mx-rewind/
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  8. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    I had similar difficulties in the mud at some of those upstate tracks! Ace, Claverack and some others. Have to see what the schedule looks like for rewind. It is a fun event!
    rick danger likes this.