FJ_Kevin's CR250, 390 & 430 Vintage Husqvarna Restoration Extravaganza!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, Mar 25, 2014.

1. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I owned a 4-stroke Sonett (and a 2-stroke 96 model year 1967). Good effort!
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  2. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adding "race wear" to my Husquvarna CR430 gas tank.

So I realize this may offend some but surely no one can deny the trend toward preserving vintage race bikes in their original racing condition. I suppose this is a reaction to the over restored dirtbikes we see so often these days. I recently picked up another old CR430 that was missing its fuel tank.

Wanting to maintain the "old" look, I set about adding "race wear" to a pretty nice 430 tank purchased off ebay (good tank had no... leaks).

Here are the steps. First, I soaked a portion of the tank in pinesol as I read that it was effective at partially removing paint (my goal).

[​IMG]
    That worked well so I got a larger tub that would accept the entire tank. Sure enough, a few days soaking and I was able to selectively sponge off enough paint to get the look I wanted while leaving just the right amount of pinstripe and husky logo.

Then I added a pro circuit decal that I heated (heat gun) and rubbed oil onto in order to give it some age.
    [​IMG]

A little bit of work with some steel wool and a leather belt and it looked pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    I carefully added a few dings using a leather bag and a foam wrapped ball peen hammer.
    [​IMG]

I think it came out pretty good and now matches the rest of the old racebike pretty well. I thought this might be of help to others like myself.
  3. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Finally got to frame this very rare "Husqvarna Champions" poster from 1978. It has all the great national and world champions that rode Husky back in the day.

[​IMG]

I'm super stoked, haven't seen one of these in a long time.
  4. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is April 1st, so I`m not buying it.
  5. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

There is just no fooling Scott... but at least I did get a few on one of the vintage mx facebook pages where I was told "race wear should come from racing and that I was a %^&* moron and should take up knitting"!:D

I think everyone had a good chuckle seeing that :lol3. And now the proof that no Husky tanks were harmed in this bit of foolery...:jack

[​IMG]
    ScottMalv likes this.
  6. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    I have been doing a few odds and ends on the 250 but decided to take a break to get the 78 390 started for the 1st time this year.

Here it is in winter storage,

[​IMG]

I think the last time I started it was in December some time. I was a little surprised to find that fuel had wound up in the crankcase even though the petcock was off.
    I found this out when I kicked it and fuel spewed out the exhaust header. Of course it wetted the plug real good.

I did some kicking with plug removed to clear the fuel, added a new plug and then it fired right up! Runs good too, very snappy.

[​IMG]

All that fuel in the pipe greased up my rear fender a bit,

[​IMG]

Speaking of fenders, I received a new rear fender from Husqvarna-parts.com and am very pleased with it. It has the correct shape and finish (gloss) as the original Husky fended. It came undrilled but had locating "dots" molded into the fender where the holes should go.

[​IMG]

I had to trim the back side a little to get a good fit against the seat pan. Fortunately, the seat pan on this bike is in good shape. No cracks anywhere, just a good cleaning is required.

[​IMG]

Cover is in good shape also, I am wondering if it could be original?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually wasn't sure which thread to put this one in,

[​IMG]

More to come...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    FR700 likes this.
  7. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw the facebook comments. Pretty funny stuff.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  8. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find the YZ490-Husky hybrid kind of interesting. You never know what is out there.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  9. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Got a chance to do a little more fiddling with the CR390 this past weekend. It ran good on top end but was blubbery on the bottom like a ... well just like a YZ490!

And the fix turned out to be about the same, more slide cutout. Also set the clip to the highest notch in the needle

The original slide was a 2.0 so I tried a 3.0 slide from a Yamaha and that cleaned it up quite nicely.
    However, the Yamaha slide was the newer type that had the throttle cable "tower" and there was not enough adjustment available to make this the final solution.

So instead I filed the original slide using drill bits as a guide check as I filed away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At any rate, the more I ride and refine it the more I like it. It's narrow and feels light. Very zippy. It's wheelies quickly as it comes on the pipe. Feels like the wheelbase is shorter than some of the other bikes, I'll have to check that. Doesn't have the suspension of the later vintage bikes but the John Deere green looks just right on the farm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin
  10. Vince

Vince Long timer

Oddometer:
    You got me, ball pain hammer and leather to make style dings,ha bloody ha. It was very funny. BTW I have an 82 AE 420 Auto for my sins, Auto owners would know what that means. My tank paint was pretty crappy so I stripped it off and polished the whole tank, looks good to me.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  11. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Oh good, I'm glad I got somebody Vince! Yes, we like to have fun here!

Surprisingly no one has thrown the flag on the "Husqvarna Motocross Champions" poster yet. Himmmm
  12. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just glanced at it skimming. So I just now went back and looked at it. You have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much time on your hands. LOL.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  13. NDMX743

NDMX743 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had to go back and check the poster. Hilarious! I might have to copy your idea.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  14. Vince

Vince Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best humor is subtle, just a smidge of correct and take someone in the know is react. Tweaking the experts nose, well done that man
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  15. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Well I finally got off my duff a couple of weeks ago and dropped the '80 CR250 frame off at the power coaters.

They did a great job too. Cost was a very reasonable $125 for frame and swing-arm (next time will be $150 :-) ). I stripped most of the paint off myself but they still had to blast some of the tight areas I didn't feel like bothering with. This is the 2nd frame they have done for me and I'm so pleased I thought why not give these guys & gal's a plug for the good work they do,

[​IMG]

Here it is with a freshened up airbox

[​IMG]

Never tried it before but this turtlewax product did a good job in restoring the finish on the airbox and a fairly scruffy looking airbox cover.
    On the other hand, we've seen this steering head bearings before. They are from that tritrophy seller of husky parts on ebay. Good quality and all the correct seals so we'll give him a plug too :-)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The swing arm bearings were still in good shape by had to be removed prior to powder coating. I did damage one while removing it but fortunately had a good spare around to use in its place.
    I was also lucky to find a socket of just the right diameter and this made the r&r process go fairly quick and easy. Husky does a pretty good job on the seals here. There is a seal in the bearing itself and then orings are used on each end of the pivot sleeves. All this seems to do a good job in keeping the grease in and the dirt out.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next up is the swingarm mounted chain tensioner. It is a fairly simple affair but still seems to do the job. Surprisingly, there is no bearing at the pivot. The approach relies on the use of a nyloc nut that is tightened enough to minimize slop but not so tight as to keep it from moving. It's OK but I bet Scott over on the CZ thread could come up something much better than this!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Even as late as 1980, Husky was still using 35mm forks. Sometime down the road I'd like to fit the later 40mm forks but the 35's will have to do for now.
    At least the clamps will get some fresh paint!

[​IMG]

This is embarrassing isn't it? The lift and the other bike stands are all in use so the poor Husky sits on a cardboard box for now. Oh well?

Anyway, on go the forks and shocks. This bike had most of the original hardware although not every nut and bolt was in the best of shape.
    But I have several boxes of old Husky hardware and this has proved to be very handy. I like having the correct and matched hardware.
    It really helps in overall fit and finish plus you then know what sized wrenches are required to work on the bike.

[​IMG]

More to come...
  16. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Very nice!

I've always had a thing for these Huskies but I've never even so much as sat on one.

:lurk
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  17. Chestnuthillguitars

Chestnuthillguitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great Kevin, my buddy races a 81 Husky CR250, and loves it. He just re-did the stock Ohlins with new springs, and updated valving and Race Tech Gold Valves in the forks and said it made a HUGE HUGE difference!
  18. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Yeah, I would like to update to the 40mm forks on this one. Maybe I'll give the Gold Valves a try in those, never tried them before.
  19. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Alright, I had a little time to tinker with the CR250 this weekend.

Here it is after gathering up and mounting the wheels and some other odds and ends. Most of the effort was spent on basic cleaning and repainting various items like handlebars, foot pegs, brake arms, kickstand, etc.

[​IMG]

And now the motor is re-installed. This bike actually ran great before the tear down for frame paint and general refresh so no motor work was needed or performed. I had mis-placed the green front number plate but did finally turn up. The front fender is an original preston petty tony D. It has a bit of patina and yellowing which is just fine as the intent here is for a good running and finely honed period racer, not a full showroom restoration.

[​IMG]

A closer view of the motor when 1st placed back in the frame. I used some bubble wrap to protect the frame tubes so as not damage that nice finish.
    As for the motor, it looks a little rough but that is all original 1980 paint there, so not too bad considering how old it is. The paint on the center cases is not too bad at all but I will probably remove and repaint the clutch and ignition covers at some point not that the frame looks so good. It can be a slippery slope!

[​IMG]

Test fitting of the tanks and seat/fender

[​IMG]

I picked up a couple of these Viton O-ring kits from Harbor Freight some time ago and they have proved handy to have around.
    A couple of places where I have used them is on the bronze bushings used for the brake stay and the rear brake pedal.
    That's the bronze bushing shown in the photo along with the o-ring that will be used on each side to seal out the dirt.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is the bushing and O-rings placed into brake arm as it is about to be mounted into the frame bracket

[​IMG]

More to come ...
    mordellio likes this.
  20. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumbup Looking good Kevin.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.