1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

FJ_Kevin's CR250, 390 & 430 Vintage Husqvarna Restoration Extravaganza!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, Mar 25, 2014.

1. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Thanks Scott... trying to keep it all rolling!

Well, I ran into a little bit of a snag that wound up causing me to shift course a bit on the reassembly of this 250.

Although the original wheels on this bike are usable, I thought I would make use of this nice front wheel I had lying around for the CR430 project. The rim and spokes are real nice on this one, all it required was a bit of truing,

[​IMG]

That was easy enough and after a bit of cleaning it looked like this,
    [​IMG]

It turns out though that this later model wheel (sourced from a 40mm forked Husky) would not fit between the my 1980 35mm CR forks. The right axle spacer (shown above) is wider than the corresponding spacer on the original wheel and the spacer didn't seem to want to pop out right away. It seems to be captured by the big flat washer which in turn is held on by a pair of split pins. This fiddly bit of business caused me to reconsider what the heck I was doing.

I mean, if I really wanted to eventually pitch the 35mm forks anyway, then why bother reworking this wheel already setup for 40mm forks? The problem was I didn't have a spare pair of 40mm forks all set to go... damn, more delay!

So taking a turn, I decided I would "borrow" that stout 43mm Yamaha fork off the (somewhat) stalled CR390 project shown earlier in this thread. It would be a quick and easy swap too. Not only that but I have since collected a superb condition gold rimmed YZ front wheel complete with highly desirable DLS front brake ... thus my fork and front wheel problem are all solved in one fell swoop (at least on this bike!).

So here it is with that yammy front end fitted,

[​IMG]

I am pretty sure I'll be running forks boots like on my Yamaha's so still more work to do. And I have yet to replace the fork seals nor have I cleaned up the sliders yet.

[​IMG]

The fender is a stock YZ490 unit and the Yamaha front brake cable (~$20) is used in place of a Husky cable ($38)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A minor issue did arise and that is that at full lock. I had been pretty sure the forks would clear the tank but that is not quite true.
    In fact, the fork tube interfere with the tank by a couple of mm's as seen in the photo below. The solution will be to make a slightly thicker fork stop (that white plastic button).

[​IMG]

Or buy a couple of "WR" long ones from Husqvarna-parts.com

[​IMG]

More to come!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spokester and 996DL like this.
  2. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    More odds and ends.

It's surprising sometimes how much time bike setup can take. Getting everything just right, cables properly routed, wires neatly tied and out of the way, chain guide alignment and on and on. And then there is the waiting for parts to arrive. When the parts do show up you soon realize you left something off the list, rats! Before you know it, it is the end of the summer!

Anyway, there has been progress.

So one of the parts I left off my list was the previously mentioned fork stops. As a temporary solution, I drilled and threaded the ones I had to accept bolts that would provide the needed fork to tank clearance so I could begin testing. Here is one chucked up in the lathe ready to drill.

[​IMG]

I had also ordered up a couple of sets of Daystar fork books, one set in black and another set in yellow (for one of the other yz465's in the stable). While waiting for the boots to arrive, I rechecked the spacing on the front fender. First with respect to the exhaust and then the tire to fender clearance with the forks collapsed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another issue cropped up when I found the front wheel was not quite centered in the forks. I soon realized this was because wheel was source from a yz125, a bike with 38mm forks. The 43mm forks are spaced further apart. This caused the wheel to be offset as the Yamaha wheel is normally positioned with brake plate against the left slider (axle cannot slide in axle clamps like a Husky). Fortunately, it was easily re-centered through spoke adjustment (together with more truing!). Photo shows the brake plate rests against the slider and a new Pirelli Garacross tire going back on.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    BTW, those very stout circa 1970 tire irons came out my dads shop, I change car tires with them too. In fact, one day I got fed up waiting at the tire store for new set of pickup truck tires. So I bought the tires, left the store and hand mounted them at home. I then came back and dropped the wheels for balancing using wife's truck so I didn't have to wait. The kid there asked me if I have a tire machine at home... ha!

By the time the fork boots arrived, I had stripped and polished up the fork sliders. My intention all along was to run black fork boots but I couldn't resist trying on the yellow boots for some more pizzazz...

[​IMG]

Well, I didn't think they looked so good with the green number plates (as required by FIM for 250 GP bikes). However, there is that other '80 390 on the back burner, that one will be running yellow plates.

[​IMG]

OK, well that might work on the future 390... you know, don't want to get lost amongst all the tricked out Maicos and CZ's out there.! :-)

The swing arm got a new chain pad. This was an item I bought of ebay as it was black in color vs the white ones seem on some of the Husky sites.
    It was a too thick to use the original slot head screws so had to make due with some 8mm headed bolts from a Honda (points off for sure!).

[​IMG]

And I cant seem to find the front cable clamp that mounts on the fork slider to keep the cable from catching in the tire. But I want to test this thing so I used a wire tie and standoff (cut fuel line) as a temporary measure.

[​IMG]

At this point we were seeing some hot and humid days here in Maryland and I didn't feel like doing much.
    Decided to take it easy and sort through the sticker collection to see what I could find. Have to keep the sponsors happy you know!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, it was ready to head out of the shop for the first day of testing ( with black fork boots) even though there were still plenty of details to take care of.
    I wonder how it will go?

[​IMG]

More to come....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spokester likes this.
  3. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
    That bike is definitely looking period correct!
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  4. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yes, definitely going for the period look!

I have an old pair of Hallman leathers now too. Now if I can just lose some weight so I can get into them . :imaposer
  5. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "It's surprising sometimes how much time bike setup can take. Getting everything just right, cables properly routed, wires neatly tied and out of the way, chain guide alignment and on and on. And then there is the waiting for parts to arrive. When the parts do show up you soon realize you left something off the list, rats!"

Boy do I know this comment well.

I'm really liking this one Kevin. The front end swap is really interesting, as I may do the same mod you did on my later model CZ. Keep the pics coming and go out and roost that sucka!
    spokester likes this.
  6. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Thanks Scott. I am hoping to get out again this weekend. There have been a few hiccups but so far things are working out pretty well.
    You know, I have this old gopro camera that I never use. I've been thinking about dusting it off so folks can see it run.
    And on the front end, I think it would work well on your CZ and they go fairly cheap if you are patient. Lots of people adapted the Yamaha front wheel/brake back in the day so I would consider that fair game as an upgrade on an old bike. If the 43mm bothers you, you can always run 38mm. In 1980, I raced a '78 400 Maico with 38mm KYB's and a Suzuki front wheel. It was a big improvement at the time.
  7. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a couple sets of forks that slip right into the triple clamps.
  8. wfopete

Oddometer:
    I don't know Kevin, all those Jap parts on a Euro bike. First the Maico and now the Husky. Will you please consider running without the fork boots and maybe a Husky fender so it looks a little more Euro?

Still period correct and it's a runner; definately an outlaw bike. I think Kent Howerton would approve it.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  9. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    So no Japanese forks on my Husky. OK then, how about Fox Forks? :lol3

[​IMG]
  10. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Alright, so this CR250 continues to impress. It runs good!

The Yamaha frontend/front wheel arrangement has worked out well. Being no big bore, it definitely likes to be kept on the pipe.

There are a few details still to deal with. The rear brake sucks! The brake plate bushing is well worn and needs replacement. And I am currently running the rear hub with loosey goosey rear wheel bearing. All this will be attended to over the winter for sure but in the mean time I thought I would attempt to share this video of the 2nd ride around the farm. Its taken with an older gopro camera that I never used much. I had trouble setting it up for a proper view but at least you can hear how well the bike runs. You will see me make a stop to adjust the rear brake (with little success) and you can hear me miss a shift or two (sloppy mechanism in clutch cover). It is less than 5 minutes but still a tiring process which explains why I found it found it necessary to take a nap towards the end.

Now, lets see if I can link the thing in...

11. wfopete

Oddometer:
  12. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Now you would think I would be happy with this CR250 running so well. And I am, mostly.

But then I rolled out the open bikes and rode them all, side by side, same day. What became apparent was that while this 250 goes good, it just does not have that exhilarating rush you get from the open bikes. There is something about that "on the edge of impending disaster" open bike feeling that is addicting and hard to shake once you have become accustom to it.

The difference is most noticeable when driving out of a turn into a steep uphill section. I found that gear selection was pretty crucial on the 250 if I wanted to stay on the pipe with not too much clutch fanning.
    The open bikes where more forgiving in this respect, less shifting/clutch fanning, allowing me to better concentrate on control and just hanging on. On the other hand, the 250 feels light and handles really well.

I didn't just compare against the 465/490 yamaha's either but also the 78 CR390. Even the 390 is significantly faster and with broader power range although its model '78 suspension (progressive shocks/35mm fork) is no match for that on the 250 (ohlins with 43mm fork).

So with a the thankgsgiving break coming up I decided that it might be time for me to crack open that spare 390 motor that's been sitting under the bench. This was a motor I had picked up off ebay some years back. The guy I got it from said it was his spare and a runner.

I thought that if the top end looked good I might swap it in place of the 250 motor. Then that good handling lightweight would have more of the oomph I was used to.

I actually found I had almost two 390 motors. One was a bottom end of a 390 OR motor (OR="off road" i think with a mix of wide and close gear ratios). The other was a complete cr390 (motocross with close ratio transmission).

The only way to tell them apart is the number of the tag on the motor. The 2067 is the OR while the 2061 is the CR

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The OR motor had no top end and the crank was shot. I save it for the crank cases and the clutch/geatbox assembly. The CR motor was the one I was really counting on. Externally the motor looked decent. When I slipped off the top end, I found a pretty good bore and usable piston. However, not all the news was good.

[​IMG]

That's right Husky fans, the dreaded magnesium oxide indicated that case corrosion had been taking place. And there was a lot of too!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More to come!

[​IMG]
  13. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    This found its way to the "you're an old motocrosser if you..." Facebook page. One of the best pics I've ever seen of him.

Anyone who says they didn't have a man crush on him circa 1975 is lying.

[​IMG]
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  14. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    ps. great thread.

if you look at my Wolsink bike up for auction thread there is a link to the Meecum auction next month in Vegas, Wolsink is selling his 1977 Carlsbad 500 cc GP winning bike.

But he's also got a couple other bikes in the auction including a 1958 Husky 2 stroke dirt bike, I'd never seen one that old.

you can see those bikes here: https://www.mecum.com/auctions/las-vegas-motorcycle-2017/lots/page/5/
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  15. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    How time flies...I made the first 3 (I think..)Unadilla Rewind VMX's but just haven't been able to get up there for a few years, I think I've missed the last 2, maybe 3...

I remember the first one with Lackey. Gary and DeWayne Jones, Jammer, Stanton, Barnett, Lechien, Cooper, and on and on....I knew a day would come and it came very quickly when the west coast contingent would no longer make the trek. And now DeWayne Jones has passed from cancer. The years aren't going by any slower thats for sure.

On a brighter note...2 years ago I was chatting with Barry Higgins at the national, (I'll feel stupid if I already posted this here but I didn't see it). A few months prior to that I had see the original movie of Alices Restaurant, I'm sure you remember Arlo Guthries song. I don't think I even knew there was a movie. Well there is and it was made circa 1969 and it tells the story, not the best movie but anyway there is a scene in there with about 5 minutes worth of scrambling in it, old Bultaco's Husky's, Trumphs etc etc. And it just looked like it was northeast locale and it turns out it was. I was telling anyone I ran into about it and when I mentioned it to Barry Higgins not only did he know about it he was one of the riders in it. Wow. They filed for a couple days, and then there is a scene in the movie where a bunch of guys on choppers and street bikes are riding and they ride into the church where Alice was living in the song/movie, one guy literally jumps a bike through the doorway and it was Higgins. The quality of the race footage is pristine and worth a look. :deal
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  16. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  17. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^ those were based off the Silverpilen. The wheel hubs were stainless steel up to about 67-68.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  18. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    ^^^ thanks for sharing those stories. Great cast of characters here on advr. Always learning something new!
  19. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    And yes, found Gerrit bike on site you posted. Some machine, he had great success at Carlsbad.
  20. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    I now had several reasons to split the cases. Not only was the visible corrosion terrible but previous owner statement that it was acquired and kept under a bench as a "good" spare made me think I better dig in there and check it out. I couldn't help wondering why someone would remove a motor from a bike if it was "good". It seemed something had to be behind this, something had to bring things to a stop!

So tear it down I did! Out came the husky flywheel holder tool and off with the flywheel nut. Don't forget that is left hand thread there. I see a lot of cranks on ebay the the treaded crank end torqued off!

[​IMG]

Next is the flywheel pulled followed with a good tightening and a quick hammer rap to break it free.

[​IMG]

Motoplat . They are made in Spain and can be a pain! At least this side looks clean.

[​IMG]

The 3 slotted screws holding stator plate on in good shape. I scribed a mark so I can get timing close when I put it back (wishful thinking as I will be replacing lots as we shall see).

[​IMG]

The trusty husky case splitter. I seem to be getting a lot of use out of this. Does the job and holding up well (purchased off ebay).

[​IMG]

And whala! all her inner secrets are exposed. Ooo, ahh, ohh, uggg! cough cough, puke!

[​IMG]

Oh, wow, this is bad. Talk about being exposed to the elements, wow, never seen corrosion like this! whew!

Maybe she just need a good cleaning and can be sparkling like new again, eh?

[​IMG]

Pine sol was not up to this job. How about a wire wheel then?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the photos the corrosion brushed out pretty well but it left behind significant pitting in the crank case area. What is left is pretty solid and I think these cases could be reused in a pinch. However, I was bothered by the thin portion of gasket surface that remained near the case screw hole (shown in the 12 o'clock position) and so look at that OR motor I have around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    FR700, 996DL, brucifer and 1 other person like this.