FJ_Kevin's CR250, 390 & 430 Vintage Husqvarna Restoration Extravaganza!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, Mar 25, 2014.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Working on a 1980 WR 390 now watching this thread!
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  2. Larry Livingston

Larry Livingston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kevin: GREAT reading your build. I just purchased a 1981 390WR. It looks like someone pushed it into the barn after his last race and close the door, and 20 yrs later the door opened again. I will bought it from the photo's posted and have not seen it yet. I go tomorrow and pick it up, wish me luck. The boy that found it says it kick through and has spark, so that's a start anyway. Now I will be
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  3. Larry Livingston

Larry Livingston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up being a 78 CR390 with a lot of problems, but it does kick though and have spark. DSCN1260.JPG
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  4. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, great glad to see we have picked up a couple of more Husky fans. Congratulations on your WR390 ownership SnoDrtRider, feel free to post us a photo or two.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  5. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Thanks Larry, glad to have you along. Thanks for posting up the photo, I enjoyed seeing it!.
  6. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    I hope everyone has been getting through the winter OK. It has been busy as ever so not as much time for the posting as I would like. In any case, lets see if we can get caught up a bit.

I don't mind saying it is a challenge to remember exactly what took place since last time. Exactly why I need to do a better job in my posting.

Now, I am pretty sure we left off with some heavily pitted engine cases due to the classic Husky mag corrosion problem. There was also the question as to why this particular engine came to a stop under the previous owners work bench. I did find the answer to that as I will get to in a moment.

But first, the issue of cases to use. Recall that I also had a 390 OR bottom end with blown crank. I took that motor apart next. While not perfect they were in far better shape in the crank area where they all seem to rot.
    BTW, I have yet to run across a set of Husky cases that didn't have at least a little corrosion in this area:puke1. I would much rather have aluminum to avoid all these problems.:dirtdog

Here we go. You can see there is some pitting at the bottom. Perhaps moisture collects there I don't know. Again, they are in far better shape than the others.
    [​IMG]

All was not perfect though as this motor sat for a long time too. I knew the crank was bad but it also had this sometimes stiff, sometimes gluey gummy substance throughout the inside of the transmission casing.

[​IMG]

There was some on the gear set and the back of the clutch basket like this. What the heck is this stuff?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After stripping them down, I threw the cases into the pinesol mix. But I was very careful about keeping an eye on them as pinesol can be surprising aggressive over a long portion of time on certain materials.
    The pinesol loosened the guck but I still had to scrap a lot off by hand.

Finally they were clean enough to move forward again with the next step being replacement of the bearings. Bearing replacement goes much easier if the cases are preheated.

Here the cases go into my oven set at 200F. This is my oven out in the workshop, not the chippy's :sweeti. There are some lines I don't dare cross :lol3

[​IMG]

More to come!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    juicy flawless likes this.
  7. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    So once the cases were well warmed up, I pulled them out of the oven and slapped them against a wooden block. The purpose of slapping them is to remove the one bearing that sits in the blind hole (where the clutch arm sits). The other bearings can generally be tapped out from either side. Usually they just fly right out as in the photo below.

[​IMG]

However, the goop in that one case prevented this so I had to fabricate a precision doo hickey removal tool since I didn't have a proper bearing puller on hand to do the job.

The bearing is removed now in this next photo. The photo shows how the precision doo hickey was inserted behind the bearing. This gave a "pushing" surface for the clutch actuating arm to work against to push the bearing out.

[​IMG]
    This next photo shows the clutch actuating arm cam that did the pushing. You can also still see some of the residue in the case still to be removed.

[​IMG]

This motor got new crank bearing and Viton crank and transmission seals (thanks to Tritrophy Dave on ebay) but I already had plenty of good used transmission bearings and they got repurposed here.

I generally wont reuse a crank bearing but I don't mind reusing a good transmission bearing, especially if it means using a good skf in place of a new China bearing. I know not everyone will agree with this but it has never been a problem for me. It seems wasteful to throw out a perfectly good quality bearing :deal... plus I am also of Scottish heritage.:drink

And now for a break from our sponsors :-).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    So now remember, the cases are from an OR390 but the transmission I would like to use is from the rotted CR390 motor and that is what I am turning back to now.

Here are a couple of photos during disassembly. I can tell it is the CR motor from the corrosion on the crank (ha, easy to get confused with all this crap around!).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Nothing looked too bad but then a closer look revealed this.

[​IMG]

Check out the shift fork on the right moto dudes. Comparing to the one on left, you can see that the pin that normally rides in the shift drum (now removed) has snapped off!
    We now know what brought this motor to a stop.

Here is another photo showing shift forks from this motor. Again, you can see the snapped off pin as well as a little more than the usual wear and tear.

[​IMG]
    And a now photo of how the fork pins ride in the shift drum grooves. Transmission cannot shift without the pin.

[​IMG]

The more I looked the more beat up this transmission looked. The next photo shows the shift drop stopper that resides on top of the shift drum. You see the hole in the one on the left(this motor) is well worn compared to a good spare on the right.

[​IMG]

Again, that stopper rides on top of the shift drum. The hole is important to locating the drum position properly for the selected gear setting.

[​IMG]

Not so surprisingly, many of the gear dogs were also well worn. Fortunately, I've collected more than a few gear sets through the years . It was now time to dig through them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More to come...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite Kevin... Don't want to hijack... I have a thread already going in Some Assembly Required.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/another-rescue-1980-wr-390-husqvarna.1181123/

The highlights...

I went from this...

[​IMG]

To This...

[​IMG]

To This...

Frame is currently at the Powder Coaters and I am cleaning, painting and polishing everything else while I wait.

[​IMG]

Hijack Off!

We now return control of your thread...
  10. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you need to market the doo hickey Kevin.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  11. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks much for posting the link. has no idea about tour project. will be following closely. Bravo!
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  12. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Haha, when something like this crops up I often think what would that crafty CZ guy do? Of course it falls far short I know.

Btw, I now have some ohlins rebuild kits and will be posting the process as I go. I am counting on you to keep an eye on me so I don't screw it up.

One more thing. Happy Birthday !
  13. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the birthday wishes. I was off f7acelook for a few days. Did you have one also? If you did, birthdaywishes to you also.

Don't underestimate your mad skills my fren. I think in my Husky thread I touched on rebuilding the ITC Ohlins. I made a couple of tools to make it easier.
  14. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I am in no way getting as deep as you are in the bike... Building a rider. It runs well and shifts well... I see no reason to open up the engine!
  15. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Yes I did. And whenever I think about it, I am shocked at how old I've become.

Ah well... off to do my chores for the day!
  16. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Completely agree. didn't open the bottom of my 250, just top as it was stuck. runs fine.

Only exception is if planning to run a series or something where fees and traveling expenses are high...maybe go the extra mile in that case. I also like the original race wear on some bikes.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  17. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread! I've been following Snodirt's build on cafehusky. As a Husky fan, I'm always interested in other's projects.:lurk
    I currently have an '82 CR250 and an '86 WR400
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  18. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Nice bikes you have there. I like café husky too. The variety of bikes here keeps me coming back. I like the old street bikes and airheads too. Been working on the Huskys and lots of photos still to post. Thanks for you note and please feel free to post up some pictures of your bikes or any of your racing events. Love seeing these old bikes in action!
  19. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    your thread is the best place to post this...I scammed this big poster from Moroneys and it is now mine.

Now I need to get it autographed, I just always get the Martin brothers mixed up as to which one is which, but I've found in my older age I'm now a big Hannah fan, which I never was. :gerg

[​IMG]
    Euromad and FJ_Kevin like this.
  20. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    That's sweet! Looks like it went to a good home.

I scanned some magazine covers and had posters made for my workshop.

I know I don't have to tell you where this is!

[​IMG]
    Euromad likes this.