1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    Thanks, and just to clarify, I’m talking about the updated risers from 2013. I may be wrong about the reduced sweep, but they say the bars are wider by three inches in the forward position. I had a 2008 FJR that I sold around 2011 or 2012. Then, the risers only moved the bars up and back, but didn’t change the width. I’m on a KTM 1090 now, but for whatever reason (old age...:(), I have become a lot more sensitive to wind noise, and I am missing the FJR and it’s awesome fairing and adjustable screen.
  2. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have installed the Helibar Bridge on 3 different FJRs now. First on my Pop's '07, then on his '14 and now on my '15. I have run them all the way forward and I have run them most of the way back and a little bit in between.

I never thought the FJR bars were that narrow but I heard that complaint from a few folks. Then I rode a Super Tenere and it all became clear!

The HeliBar Bridge does allow for a wider grip set in the farthest forward position. It also opens/flattens the angle of the bars. I tend to just adjust to whatever bike I ride so the angle change and width really did not matter to me. In the farthest forward position the bars are still much further back and much higher than stock, still better than the GenMar riser blocks. As I have aged, something has gone awry in my spine and I had to rotate the bars back some on the bridge. I had to do the same for Pop on a Long Ride last year.
    BkerChuck and 2whl-hoop like this.
  3. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    @2whl-hoop these pics don't show exactly what you want to know but they may help if you have not see a HeliBar Bridge in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rauchman and 2whl-hoop like this.
  4. 2whl-hoop

2whl-hoop Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
    @Redfish Hunter , Thanks. Do moving the bars back behind the steering head like that have any noticeable effect on steering input?
    I wish the FJR had a traditional tubular bar like the Super Tenere, it would a lot easier to tailor the fit of the bike.
  5. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    travlr_45 and 2whl-hoop like this.
  6. thereal_od

thereal_od Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well guys, I just sold my KTM 1190 moments ago. I have nervous jitters about letting it go. I always do when I sell a vehicle that I really like. I've had a fun four years with the bike, but it's time to move on. I thought I'd be more of an 'adventure' rider, but it turns out I do long days of twisties and rarely venture off pavement. An FJR ES is top of my shopping list right now. Though I know many hate the matte blue, I looked at one (already sold unfortunately) in that color and I love it. My wife occasionally rides with me. We are young empty nesters now (41 and 39) and I have aspirations to do regular weekend trips on the bike. I want something sporty, comfortable, powerful, good handling on mountain roads (I'm not going to be dragging any knees), big enough to not be blown around, and just all around fun.
    That really only describes an FJR or a Connie. I'm not interested in a BMW RT nor K1600. Am I on the right track here fellow inmates?
    olie, Cav47, Madman4049 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    Yes.

The FJR is a lot heavier than your KTM, around 640 pounds empty. It isn't perfect. I love my '15 ES.
    Cav47 likes this.
  8. Yama-Saurus

Yama-Saurus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, seem to have 2 good choices there. I would be all over the matte blue if my '13 hadn't fallen in my lap.
    I test rode a C14 before and after a FJR years ago, and still went with FJR. To me, the C14 never felt "right" and seemed I sat more on it that in it like the FJR.
    Servicing ease and mileage intervals were also a factor on choosing the FJR for me.
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  9. thereal_od

Oddometer:
    A wild card would be another KTM, but SDGT this time. But it certainly wouldn’t have the comfort of the FJR. Got a lot of looking and thinking to do. And as I’ve read often on this site, being honest with myself on the type of riding I WILL do.
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  10. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really do understand the desire to avoid the BMW, and I believe the FJR and Connie are faster, but I found the RT to be superior in the handling department.

Of course, my RT is of the shit fuel strip generation, which is annoying. Aside from that, it’s not bad. Like I said, it can rip a corner with more confidence than the top heavy Japanese bikes. Then again, those Japanese bikes pull away and are anvils of reliability.

I got on the BMW wagon. I was looking for an FJR, and probably wouldn’t have been disappointed either way, but you do get the creature comforts earlier in the beemer (cruise, heated grips/seat, radio) and thus for a lower price of entry. Of course, I have to now deal with a dead fuel strip and the servo brake potential issues, but with solid service records, my biggest fears are minimized.

I guess what I’m saying is if you want to get out and cruise worry free, the FJR is hard to look away from, but the BMW can offer some superior features at a deeply depreciated price, along with better balance (the biggest reason I went that route).

I wouldn’t buy a (non flying brick) K, it has the BMW foibles without the balance of an RT, even though it is an awesome sounding cruise missile.

As to matte paint, please don’t. I hate that trend, and it’s so hard to keep looking respectable. Bring back 2014 red.

preface all this with the fact that my warm and clear ride is either a DR650 or a 96” Road King. Once the mornings start dipping into the 40s, I’m RT exclusively. I felt it’s wind protection was better than the FJR for me (5’9” but with a goofy long torso and shorty legs - 29” inseam)
  11. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel this so much man, I had huge aspirations of BDR's and off-road with the Super Tenere. I actually managed some of it but I also managed to have a 2 level spinal fusion, bouncing a 600lb bike off-road and even more picking it up repeatedly or trudging it through mud are a no-go. I'm more in the world of comfortable motel beds, nice restaurants, overlooks, day hikes, and rider comfort now, I'm oddly good with it. Unlike you the R1250RT has my primary interest but the FJR is a close 2nd. I'm a 38 broken military aircraft mechanic, fiance is a 37 yo "25" teacher who doesn't like roughing it. I'm retiring from mil soon and want to tour, neither the Goldwing, K1600, or Star Venture do it for me, they are unnecessarily big IMHO. And absolutely nothing with a HD badge is even remotely appealing I have no interest in joining the angry pirate, wife beater, poor hygiene club.

I'm also seeing the light with gear and comfort as well. Going from clunky adv boots to Rev-It discovery that wear like hiking shoes and equally so going from heavy/bulky ADV gore-tex to lighter trimmer offerings like Latitude. I'm no longer in a hurry to get the boots off like I was or feel drained at the end of a day.
    thereal_od likes this.
  12. thereal_od

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the upcoming retirement! You’re echoing a lot of my thoughts as well. Funny you mention boots. I’ve got a pair of tall TCX adv boots. If it’s above 80 degrees I’m dying to get the damn things off my feet after a ride. Same with an HD badge, no thanks. Not into ‘motorcycle LARPing’. That said, my first bike was a Sportster modded out with Buell heads, cams, ignition, etc. Stock suspension and brakes. Don’t know how I survived!
    Not saying I’m leaving ADV style bikes for good. If Yamaha builds the rumored Tenere 300 I could see adding that to the stable for off road. Even then a WR would probably still be better.

Decisions, Decisions...
    Madman4049 likes this.
  13. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I meant to answer this sooner.

Short answer is, No. No, there is no noticeable effect on steering input or handling.

However... (Not so short answer) You may feel that the bike handles differently based on your body position. For the first few miles after I put risers on any bike the front end feels more vague, I feel like I get less feedback. But after a few miles I forget about it and later everything feels just like it did before. I don't think it's because of how the bars input steering corrections or even how the bars transmit feedback from the road. I think it is more about where your weight is distributed and how much your weight shifting affects the bike.
    2whl-hoop likes this.
  14. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I bought a KTM 1290 SAT to replace my FJR and I haven't actually been able to let go of the FJR yet. The FJR is definitely heavier but it is very comfortable and after years of farkling, it works perfectly for me. If I had to ride to the east coast tomorrow, it would be on the FJR...
    Redfish Hunter and Madman4049 like this.
  15. Worrey

Worrey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I've had a red abs light on my fjr1300 2005 for a couple of months now. I've checked the ring and sensors, fuses and connections, and a shop has spent 3 hours trying to diagnose the fault; that's about as much as I want to spend as it still brakes really well.

Is there a common fault with these units? Or at least a way to kill the red light on the dashboard without upsetting the ECU or pulling it all apart.
  16. zapochris

zapochris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do the ABS brakes work, meaning have you or the shop tried applying the brakes to a point to where they pulse and hence prevent wheel lock-up?
  17. Worrey

Worrey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, myself and the shop have both tried, and it's very possible to lock up the brakes and skid!
  18. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The service manual has an extensive chapter on the ABS system, including a troubleshooting guide. 3 hours and nothing seems a bit far fetched for a competent mechanic. Not saying it should be fixed, but it should be on its way.

I fear you may have wasted your money.
  19. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    :y0!

Been lurking in this thread for awhile now. Mostly looking at all the pretty pictures. There's just SO much info....hard to keep track of it all.
    Got my eyes on an '04 ABS. What're the issues to be aware of?
    Input much appreciated.
    Cav47 likes this.
  20. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By now you've likely read some of the Gen I bikes were known for being "tickers". A well documented issue with the valve seals if I recall correctly. Gen I also tends to throw more heat onto the rider. Hopefully by this point if the bike had the ticking issue it should have been addressed. Solid platform with a lot going for it. Gen 2 had some improvements to the bodywork and a heat shield under the tank which helps with the heat being thrown off onto the rider.Gen 3 had even more improvements with the latest bikes gaining LED lighting, cruise control, and a 6 speed.

What kind of miles and money is the bike listed for? Are there service records? These things are almost as reliable as a rock but ignored and not maintained.......you have to decide that risk for yourself.
    Cav47 and Dorzok like this.