FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. kuchibashi

kuchibashi LLB Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I decided this would be the weekend to Summer-Ize my new to me Fjr. I picked up some DOT 4 and a set of test leads from the local Murray’s auto parts , a mightyvac from J&B tools and some Yamaha coolant from the powersports dealership near work. Oil was changed pretty directly after getting the bike.

got the plastic off. Tedious, but I managed not to break anything except a couple of push pins. I sold my last bike with bodywork (1995 Triumph Trophy III) back in 2005 , so this was a get re-acquainted with bodywork day.

DE9FBCAB-43A8-4D62-8D88-4F6FD32B09A3.jpeg
    The polymer...
    4E971484-8DC1-4A11-8E53-5211ABA40897.jpeg
    there are many wee bits:
    ADF3923A-29C3-45A1-BCC4-06F77FEA4D84.jpeg
    I did the coolant in the afternoon-I didn’t take off the right side or the front left cowling, but was careful and got it done with a long funnel and careful placement of tin foil-I didn’t pull the coolant tank as the bike came to me with it empty, so the juice in there was new anyway.

Sister in law, her husband and our niece showed up in the evening for dinner. After we finished eating , the captains of industry were in the kitchen getting deep into the use of various types of color schemes for best PowerPoint effectiveness.

Exit stage left...C’mon kid, I say to my niece “you want to be the pourmaster for a brake and clutch bleed?

So with her help, got it done-she did a fine job with the brake fluid.

got it back together today:
    1F418C2A-F1B4-4737-BBA2-0B1C8CED4ECC.jpeg

But...I have stragglers:
    79C38328-7E88-451F-9E18-AD1F39246E86.jpeg

Anyone have any idea what the two self tapping type screws go to? I’ve looked at the factory diagrams in the shop manual. No clue. The other three are accounted for. The black one is a 4mm Allen and the silver one is a Phillips. I’m flummoxed.
    robfilms likes this.
  2. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the screws under from the cowl above the front fender into the left and right cowls. Those screws look familiar.
    HPPants, cognosticator and kuchibashi like this.
  3. kuchibashi

kuchibashi LLB Supporter

Oddometer:
    There’s three of those and two push pins up there, all there. I pulled the left side panel under the seat, figuring I missed one at the air cleaner cover, but they’re all there. The broken Phillip push pin is for the cover for the wiring block on the left side-it’s the one that secures on to the top of the subframe, so at least I found that.
  4. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took the long way to Redfish's house Saturday. It had been raining for a week straight, the sunshine was very welcome.

The old town of St. Martinville was looking well:

[​IMG]

Not much going on out here, so I turned the reins loose on the ole girl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got to the swamp levee and really let her sing. I passed 3 sport bikes at about a buck twenty, nice of them to stay in their lane. I did signal to merge back to the right lane.

[​IMG]

Nice day for a ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this old floating bridge.

[​IMG]

HUGE counterweight on this lift bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took the ferry across Old Man River. Legitimate 2 foot chop, put the bike on the center stand just in case.

[​IMG]

Got to Redfish's house and to my pleasant surprise, the dude actually had good beer. Nice bark on the pork roast cooked in the greaseless fryer. It was great to see Nate, Jasen, Andrew, and most of all - Pops. If you haven't met Andrew's Dad, you are missing out. He's one cool old dude, man.

Ms. Amy knows Pants has a sweet tooth. Redfish - what the heck did you do to deserve her?

[​IMG]

The slab ride home in the dark was mostly uneventful, but I did have fun playing with a late model ZL-1 Camaro just outside of Baton Rouge. Since we were touching "going to jail" speeds, I let him play the rabbit. (Bad Pants)
    RiderGary, robfilms, kbuckey and 11 others like this.
  5. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    I'm going off memory, but those screws are very familiar to me too and I feel like these screws could come from here:
    upload_2021-5-24_19-4-23.png
  6. kuchibashi

kuchibashi LLB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hal, (I know it’s a dumb question to begin with) but My 08 doesn't have openings with screws there.

I used to have a great memory for stuff like this-I’m going to open the exploding views on my tablet-I’ll find them!
  7. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    Oops, I missed the year of your bike. Gen 3 has screws there that you have to remove to take the fairing off. I had a Gen 1, but it’s been so long I forgot the specifics on removing the fairing. And I never had a Gen 2.

Good luck! This is all normal, though. I’ve always got leftover pins after putting the fairing back together. And the fairing has never come off while riding, so there’s plenty of redundancy built in.
    kuchibashi likes this.
  8. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    Looking for the expertise of this thread: 2007 with 11k versus a 2009 with 7k for the same price. The advantage of the 07 is that I happen to like the merlot color of that bike, plus it's exceptionally clean. The advantage of the 09 is fewer miles, plus closer geographically (difference of at least a flight and a hotel room), although it has some scuffs. Is there anything notably different between the mechanical differences of two years that would make one better than the other?
  9. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check to see if the recalls have been done on these bikes. IIRC, the '07 had more "spider bite" issues than the '09. As for the mileage, it's a total wash - these bikes are good for 150,000 miles before you have to worry about anything, so 11K v/s 7K is negligible. A plane ticket and a hotel room could be significant in the cost department.

I'd say you can't go wrong either way. Just curious - what are the asking prices of these bikes? And where are they located?
  10. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The '09 will have a better fuel map and the off idle throttle response will be smoother due to a different shaped throttle cable pulley at the throttle body end. Unless of course someone did some "smoothness" modifications to the '07. The '09 probably also has a slightly more refined ABS as well. And yes, the Black Cherry of the '07 is beautiful.

I say go with the '09.
  11. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exceptionally clean 07 may indicate more attention to maintenance, but no guarantee. For me, overall maintenance, and records of, would be the deciding factor. The flight and hotel may be an added cost, but it can make the acquisition of the bike a bit more intriguing. YMMV. Good luck.
  12. kumfykozy

kumfykozy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well gentleman. 3,200-ish miles in ten days. Sadly I'm failing at a ride report because everything kind of blended together since I didn't document daily...

However, it was a spectacular trip with unbelievable roads and views! Kentucky seemed to be of lower income and the tiny neighborhoods seem to be dying because they are being bypassed by straighter highways. Houses, barns and businesses have fallen and decayed and the owners have seemingly walked away leaving the memories and rubble behind. The roads themselves were far better and more technical than what I'm used to.
    20210517_090853.jpg

20210518_101539.jpg

Besides the slab to get out of New England, the only other negative was that on day two I had a mishap at the Flight 93 Memorial which resulted in dropping my baby for the first time. The stay is busted, left mirror is scratched (and moving because of the stay), left front fairing has some scratches, bar end scraped a bit, left back bag has a few scratches, and my canyon cages have a couple scratches as well with the highway peg bent. Poor choice in driving on my part. Thankfully the cages did their job, so it didn't ruin the trip and we continued on.
    20210515_114503.jpg

20210515_115033.jpg

After a couple of days in Kentucky we moved on to Tennessee, then took the Blue Ridge Parkway to Skyline Drive and skipped the highways riding mostly main and back roads home.
    20210518_161358.jpg

20210519_085811.jpg

I believe I learned a lot about my riding and doing so on this bike, and am thankful for the entire experience including dropping her because it taught me to be smarter (hopefully) in the future. I can't wait until my next adventure no matter the size!

Now to clean...
    20210521_194120.jpg
    Oh yeah, and fix...
    swimmer, danh600, fastring and 13 others like this.
  13. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have not been on this forum in too too long.

i am pleased to see that the forum and it's wealth of knowledge and resources still exists.

thank you to those who were holding down the fort.

as with many, COVID 2020 really kept me off my 2013 fjr1300.

but since my vaccination, i have been doing my best to rack up seat hours and miles.

and that leaves me now coming back to this forum because with time back riding, i find myself still so darn pleased with this motorcycle.

yup, looks a little stodgy in places, especially the dash.

and yup, has an "old man" vibe (i'm 66yrs!).

but you can go fast, or you can go long, or you can load up or you can do any combo of the three.

because. to me, this is still a GREAT motorcycle.

thumbs up.

stay well.

rob
    kbuckey, HPPants, AngusMcL and 4 others like this.
  14. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing like going fast, long, and loaded. Welcome back!!

@kumfykozy - looks like you had a good trip. Kentucky is good riding in spots that are far less known than others.

Don't worry about the drop - you got it out of the way. Changing the Stay will be a PITA, but I found it helps to have an assortment of fine beers. Good luck.
    kbuckey and kumfykozy like this.
  15. rgb66

rgb66 travelling

Oddometer:
    @kumfykozy It's good that you got out no matter the events during the trip.

I'll have to admit I am a bad person. While the lot of you stayed at home during the event, I was considered "essential personnel". This led me to ride mine all over east of the Mississippi. Like there was no tomorrow? This worked out well until late December when someone knocked it over in the middle of a near vacant parking lot. It scratched the right side of my tupperware and mirror and took out Stay 1. It's not hard to fix, just time consuming. I was amazed how the factory paint on the new panels matched.

Afterwards I added some better body protection and went back to riding. I hope you are doing the same soon also.
    robfilms and kumfykozy like this.
  16. kumfykozy

Oddometer:
    Thank you, gentleman! I have a touch-up pen/brush with the paint code coming and we'll see how that matches on the mirror for which there is a replacement coming. I'm thinking of trying JB Weld in the stay first since it seems to be stability for the mirror only.

With that being said, I've already priced out all the replacement parts if those plans fall through.

@HPPants - here's a beer selection I had in Blowing Rock, NC:
    20210519_152854.jpg
    I would think replacing the stay would require far more though.

@rgb66 - I'm not sure how you're a bad person for riding, you were essential and riding is socially distant. It sucks to hear that happened to you, I'm on the fence as to whether the party responsible makes the sting better or worse. This definitely will not stop me from moving on and riding. It's the best therapy!
    Redfish Hunter and HPPants like this.
  17. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I repaired my front stay with JB Weld originally. Held perfectly fine until I started running a dash shelf when the added weight and stress lead to the JB Weld failing. Replaced front stay and removed dash shelf. Had my welder here at work repair my damaged front stay. Just as an FYI, welders don't like having to clean out JB Weld........
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  18. kumfykozy

Oddometer:
    Greatly appreciate that!

Hmm... Maybe it can get me through riding season and then replace it this winter. Did you have it welded to have a backup?
  19. rgb66

rgb66 travelling

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="kumfykozy,
    I would think replacing the stay would require far more though.

@rgb66 - I'm not sure how you're a bad person for riding, you were essential and riding is socially distant. It sucks to hear that happened to you, I'm on the fence as to whether the party responsible makes the sting better or worse. This definitely will not stop me from moving on and riding. It's the best therapy![/QUOTE]

March through June the roads were basically empty. Went through Atlanta in April and thought they were filming an episode of the Walking Dead. There were cars but it was like an alternate reality. Last survivors running? Thank goodness for pay at the pump.

As you already found out, the stay is stupid expensive. The older ones were stamped steel instead of pressed powdered berkins. On a couple of the other dedicated FJR forums, there are discussions on how to do this step by stem. One person there has a a personal web page with a huge picture gallery of the process. Between that and one youtube video, it was easy. If I didn't have squirrel tendencies, I probably could have done it in a relaxed manor in a couple of evenings. but including self induced distractions and stuff it only took me a few part time days. (cable cleanup, Aux lights. important stuff) If you want, I'll dig up the link an DM you.

Good luck. You have me planning another ride.
    kumfykozy likes this.
  20. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much exactly why I had our welder repair it. Break was really clean and once he cleaned off the JB Weld repair I had done he was able to line it all back up pretty easily. In my past experiences the week I clean out my garage and throw that away is when something dumb will happen and I'll need it so it's fixed, repainted, and on a shelf just to be safe. I'm hoping to never need it and can pass it on to someone else who might down the road but.......
    kumfykozy likes this.