FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    Looking for tire recommendations and no darkside stuff. Bike is an '03 FJR.

I don't wanna go broke but I also don't wanna keep putting on cheap Dunlop Sportmax GPR-300's as they're only managing 5k on a rear and 8-9k on a front. This is what my local shop keeps on hand and I've been running them for 15k miles since when I need a tire it's often right before some 2-3k mile trip. I'm actually quite happy with that mileage on a front but would like to get a rear that'll go that distance so I'm not replacing tires every 3 months.

I'm a big fella (260#) and often ride 2up (with 160# passenger) and reside squarely in the "ride it like you stole it" category. Touring means 80mph for entire tanks of fuel between stops. Thank doG for Airhawk seatpads!

My last experience with dedicated touring tires was Pilot Road 4's. I put a rear on a Tiger 1050 and it went roughly 7k miles. Had a PR3 on the front that nearly hit 10k. If I'm not mistaken, certain tire manufacturers make "GT" versions of their touring tires which indicated use for big bikes like the FJR?

Any input is appreciated!
  2. Yama-Saurus

Yama-Saurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The GPR300 was new on a FZ1 I bought and only got about 6k front and rear with daily 140 mile commute. IIRC, the GPR3 is an entry level ( cheaper ) tire for medium weight bikes and I would say that dealer should have been putting the Dunlop Roadsmart on touring bikes if dabbling in Dunlop land.
    Friend of mine with a '14 FJR has the Roadsmart 3 and is at about 8k front and rear. Front has more miles but rear is ready for replacement within about 1200-1500. He is at 270lb and solo all the time. Said he is going with the new Roadsmart 4 from Dunlop.
    My '13 had Michelin PR3 on it when I bought it. Maybe 1000 miles on them then. Got right at 9500 front and about 8k rear. Mix of solo and 2 up ( I'm 240 with 150 passenger plus gear ). Have Bridgestone T31 GT on it now but only about 2500 miles on that set.
    GT is just a stiffer sidewall. From my experience from my VFR, to both my FJR ( 07 / 13 ) mileage was negligible between GT or standard. And the GT is stoopid hard to mount also.
    Just my nickel on it and hope it helps.
    Project84 likes this.
  3. richarddacat

richarddacat No fruit in my cookies! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can only believe what the previous owner of my FJR stated and wrote down in his notes for his last set of tires he mounted before I bought it and those were Metzler’s M3’s.
    I recently took the rear off at little over 10,000, with the belt showing.

He also had in his notes a set of Pirelli Angels that he got 8k miles on. He is a small fellow probably under 170# and I have no idea how he loaded the bike or rode it but he definitely took care of it.

With that said I replaced the Metzler with Angels only because I got a good deal on the Pirelli’s……. but I feel your pain.
    Project84 and Yama-Saurus like this.
  4. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metzeler Roadtec Z6
    Stomp347 likes this.
  5. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Project84 you have to know how most Tire Discussions eventually go on a motorcycle forum...

Pop and I have enjoyed the feel, traction and mileage we get from the Michelin Pilot Road series of tires. We both ran a set of Michelin Road 5s and HATED them. Pop has become convinced that for his FJR and his riding style there is only one tire and that is the Pilot Road 4 GT and he insists on going Fatside (190/55 rear) I am good with the Pilot Road 4 or the GT version.

I have said this during other tire discussions but I will say it again. FJR riders tend to be very serious about tires. At every FJR gathering I have attended there is a group of Fast Guys that go on a group ride and they all seem to arrive at the same time running at the same speeds even though they run different brands and pressures. It's all in what YOU like.
    kumfykozy and TomInCA like this.
  6. Project84

Oddometer:
    I basically want a rear that'll go 8k of very hard use (since that's my typical riding style) so I can change them in sets rather than needing to visit my tire shop every 2-3 months. I ride 9-10 months outta the year and put on 10-15k miles depending on travel ambitions.

I don't commute and don't prefer riding in the rain but sometimes it's a necessity. All things considered, I'd ride Shinko's if I could get 8k out of a rear but I doubt that'll ever happen.
  7. Project84

Oddometer:
    What kinda mileage do you get out of them? They're $50+ cheaper than all others.
  8. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally I like the PR4GT. However there are tons of choices out there. Michelin does call the version for the heavier bikes GT. I think some of the other tire makers call it "A" version. With your weight and riding two up you definitely need to go with the upgraded version of which ever tire you choose.
    Project84 likes this.
  9. Project84

Oddometer:
    FWIW - Here's a comprehensive breakdown of (sport touring) tire prices at Revzilla right now for 180/55/R17.

Bridgestone T30 EVO - $192
    -T31 GT - $180
    -T32 - $207

Dunlop Roadsmart 3 - $184
    -Roadsmart 4 - $209

Avon Storm 3D X-M - $178

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT - $175 (probably what I'm going with)
    -PR2 - $150

Metzler Roadtec O-Spec Z8 - $168 (considering this as well)
    -Roadtec Z6 - $115
  10. Stomp347

Stomp347 I'll do anything fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have 3 FJR's in the group. 2 like the PR's, one swears by the Roadtec Z6.
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  11. Project84

Oddometer:
    I've always been curious about Metzler stuff so for such a modest entry fee I went ahead and bought the Z6. Got two of them in fact, for the price of one Roadsmart 4.

Thanks gang.
    Stomp347 likes this.
  12. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through something like 10 pairs of PR2s on my 2007 and that is still my favorite tire. Worst pair came in at a shade over 9k best pair over 13k . I still think that might be the best all around tire for the money. My 2014 had a fresh Shinko on the front when I picked it up so I put Shinko on the rear and just never found them confidence inspiring when it was wet out and I do long distance rallies so rain is just another riding day. Put PR2s on and found the love again that I'd felt before. I do have a pair of Pirelli Angel GTs waiting though to give them a try.
    Redfish Hunter and kendoo like this.
  13. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    Next question for the group (the responses to the last one were so helpful): how many miles is the suspension good for before a refresh/ new shock is needed?
  14. Project84

Oddometer:
    No clue on miles, it’s probably a lot more about the abuse it seems like his good the asphalt is in your area (looking at you Cleveland!) or how heavy you are or how heavy you load the bike.

My ‘03 is all stock as far as I know. Bought it at 23k miles 2 years ago and now it’s at 38k. We ride 2up a lot and with camping gear. Rear shock is fine but I had to do fork seals early in my ownership.
  15. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With close to 175K miles on 3 FJRs, let me offer this:

1. I'm a fairly aggressive rider at times - I haven't found a rear m/c tire that will last longer than about 7500 miles (PR4GT). You might get another 1,000 out of the front, again the PR4GT.

2. The best buy right now is the Roadsmart 3, especially if you (a) get them when the rebate is offered ($40 off a set) and (b) mount/balance them yourself. This is based on price per mile and doesn't take anything else into account. The RS3 is a pretty good tire, though. Not as good wet grip as the PR4GT, but good enough and the dry traction is great. Also, the RS3 inflated to 40/42 psi will hold its shape and traction until the cords show.

3. As for suspension, the non ES shock on the Gen 2 or 3 will last about 50K miles before it starts to get pogo-ish. Many go for the Ohlins or Penske or Traction Dynamics shock, and they are very good, but I bought a custom Hagon shock sprung for me at less than 1/2 the price and after 25K miles on it, I still have no complaints. The front springs are good for over 100K. Keep up with fork oil changes of course and change the lower bushing when you change seals. The middle and upper bushings won't wear one bit. Now - the ES suspension is a whole different story, and I can't comment intelligently.
    kumfykozy and Redfish Hunter like this.
  16. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You "think" that shock is fine until you try anything else. The 03 had a very low-rated shock and is overloaded with most individual single riders of normal U.S. size. Get an aftermarket shock with a 850 to 950 lb spring on there, and your bike will be transformed for performance and handling, and actually capable of 2-up. Spring-rates have significantly increased in the FJR from Gen I to Gen III and IV. the 03 the spring rates for the shock were even less than this one for the 05:
    On the soft setting, the two springs are used in series and provide a 440 lb/inch rating.
    On the hard setting, the short spring is locked out and the single 670 lb spring is used.

If you ever decide to really see what this bike can be, the shock is your first stop. Even when your bike was new, 30,000 miles was a long live on the OEM shock. Even if it has never leaked, it is shot
  17. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Falling back in love with my 2013 FJR1300. (21k miles)

Did something on today’s ride that I hardly ever do.

I went from my 95% Touring mode to 5% Sport mode.

I ride Touring because I can, because it works and because it assists me in getting my 45mpg+ average.

But today at the last traffic light before getting on the Parkway riding north out of Manhattan, I went from T to S.

I must be truthful, I found the shifting to be a little shorter and the FJR got up to dance the moment I flicked my right wrist.

Sweet. Very sweet.

A few months back I was thinking about after 3yrs with the FJR that maybe I should be looking around for my next motorcycle.

With me turning 67 at the end of July, even my most wonderful wife said maybe I should try another bike.

But I think I should stick.

I just need more S than T.

Heck, I might even switch the suspension lever from Soft to Hard!

Crazy me.

Stay well.

Rob
    kumfykozy, HPPants and Redfish Hunter like this.
  18. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got 75K on my current '14. I bought it with 1100 miles after an unfortunate incident in Colorado that totaled a previous '14. Anyhoo - I sign the papers in Baton Rouge for the bike I now have. I pull out onto the hwy and give her the heat. Hmmm.... something doesn't feel just right. Ah... yes, there it is. Switched from T to S at the next stop light. At green, I dump the clutch. Yeah.... there she is.

The the very best of my memory, in 74,xxx miles, that control switch has NEVER been used. :)
    kumfykozy and robfilms like this.
  19. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I am in the minority on the T/S ride mode switch. I usually keep it on T. This helps me ride it more smoothly, I pretty much suck as a rider and I am not coordinated so smoother throttle response masks a lot of my jerky inputs. Most importantly, the more relaxed throttle response keeps me more relaxed in traffic. When the idiots in their cars surrounding me don't realize that I am just as stupid as they are and my throttle hand gets difficult to control, T is soothing. S makes me want to GOOOOO!

@optimum_malarky I don't know what year your FJR is and you didn't say how many miles you have on the bike. I can tell you that Pop's '07 was never great in the suspension department and by 50K miles it was obvious the rear shock was done. We replaced it with a new Gen3 rear shock which has a stiffer spring, better valving and was significantly cheaper than the Gen2 shock. It made a huge difference. If you have a Gen2, IMO 50K miles is too long for the rear shock. YMMV.

@Project84 I am going to completely agree with @TomInCA . You may think your rear shock is fine but a nice upgrade will expose the weaknesses of that old shock. Unless a Previous Owner already upgraded it.
    kumfykozy and Project84 like this.
  20. Yama-Saurus

Yama-Saurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my' 13, I use Sport mode most of the time. But once off the interstates and going thru the 2 towns to work, I'll switch to Touring as the speed limt is 35.
    Soft enuff and helps keep the speed down. Still average 48 mpg-ish on the 140 mile daily commute.
    90k on mine and I can tell the shock is tired. I did remove and clean it over winter and added a 6mm spacer on the bottom. IMO has helped quite a bit in both soft and hard settings. Can really feel the difference 2 up with the trunk and side bags loaded.
    kumfykozy likes this.