FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drain tank in 2013 ... after siphoning what I can - how to drain the remaining?

Disconnect the fuel line here? Will it flow or also need to disconnect vent?

Never needed to do this before
    Adjustments.jpg
  2. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why? Are you just wanting to remove the tank or actually trying to get everything out of it for some reason?

I have never needed to completely drain my tank so I don't have your answer. I have removed a tank from an FJR before and I just disconnected everything that was attached at the easiest point.
  3. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not need to remove it, but I do need to empty it as completely as I can. Someone must have emptied a tank at some point?
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Fuel won't come out (only a few drops) if you disconnect that. That's coming from the pump and fuel won't freely flow through that line. Disconnect everything, remove the tank, then pull off the pump while the tank is positioned so the fuel isn't at the pump, then tilt and drain. Or, open up the filler cap and flip the tank upside down and drain. Not sure how to totally drain it without removing.

Disclaimer, I don't own an fjr but all tanks have basically the same connections and have never had a tank leak uncontrollably after removal. Usually just try to have less than half a tank of fuel in it
    Patch, Wolf_ADV and Redfish Hunter like this.
  5. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    What’s the value of an ‘09 in good shape with 40k miles and an aftermarket top case?
  6. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No will not pour out there's a valve.
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  7. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    kumfykozy likes this.
  8. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I consider myself really lucky. I have dropped my FJR more than once on the right side. A few minor scratches but no broken stays.

The fellow posting right above me got to see one of the tip overs in his mirror. :rofl

My wife has the first one on GoPro. She threatens to black mail me with it.
    robfilms, HPPants and kumfykozy like this.
  9. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $3,000.00 - $3,500.00, IMO.
    Project84 likes this.
  10. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think HPPants is a little low or at least that would be low in my area. Around here they're closer to $5000-$5500.
  11. kumfykozy

kumfykozy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20210613_102057.jpg
    Pretty geeked out! So far so good! Now to decide on the plastics...
    20210613_180102.jpg 20210613_180109.jpg
    To buy or live with. That is the question.
  12. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a personal decision, but when I bought my 2013, it had been dropped on both sides by the previous owner. I decided that I now had no real concern about dropping it myself and decided to ignore it and just ride the wheels off of the thing. I then put 40,000 + miles on it over the next 18 months with perfect reliability and enjoyment. You could just ride it for a while, and see if it bothers you, and put new plastic on as a winter project if it does.
    kbuckey and kumfykozy like this.
  13. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you considered some matte black (or gloss black to match other plastics) accent graphics to cover those areas? You would want to do a bit of sanding to smooth out the scratches so they would not show up under the graphics. Just one more option to consider.[/QUOTE]
    1 wheel peel, de Vaca and kumfykozy like this.
  14. Alton

Alton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with de Vaca. When I messed up my Bandit 1250 (much worse than you have there) I found that I hated the looks of it when it sat in the garage and was always thinking about getting new plastic, but I didn't notice the plastics at all when I was riding it. So i put a cover over it when sitting and rode the piss out of it for 2 more years before deciding to switch to the FJR. I made the switch for comfort reasons, not aesthetics.
  15. rs42sport

rs42sport Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well after 95k miles my front rotors are at the limit. What rotors does everyone use here? Looks like EBC rotors are roughly the same price as stock. Or are the cheap eBay ones any good? Thanks
  16. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess my recalled bike had an adequate test of the good work done by my favorite dealer. With 3,600 miles post transmission replacement, left on a 3,200 mile trip through, NM, CO, AZ, and UT. Bike did great; rider suffered a bit with multiple 100 + degree days through AZ and UT. Highest temp was 111 degrees. Mountains were great. I'm now 6,800 miles post recall, guess I'll call it good to go. :D Screenshot_20210619-151546_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210619-151240_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210619-150523_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210619-150356_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210619-150905_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210619-150104_Gallery.jpg

Attached Files:

kuchibashi, slipknot, CBejbl and 23 others like this.
  17. mikes'gs

mikes'gs BOTTOM DWELLER Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice!!i like hearing this...i almost bought an fjr but thought i'de hold off and see how the recall went ..i purchased a 17 rt for now ..i'll re visit the fjr in a couple years
    de Vaca likes this.
  18. Sefto

Sefto I think I'll just crash here.

Oddometer:
    I'd say - if the originals made it to 95K smiles, I'd put the same one's back on from mama yama. :-) Way to go! Let us know when you hit a hundy! :clap
  19. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:

I would be very leery of cheap flea bay anything and Sefto made a very good point. You cannot go wrong with OEM. EBC are good and I've been using them on an older ST1100 along with the EBC pads. One other thing is this, if you have never rebuilt your calipers this is a good time to replace the seals and I would also rebuild the master cylinder. If you have done regular fluid changes you might get by without the latter but my experience has changed my scheduled maintenance routine. At the very least you should check your brake fluid for water content. There are test probes, not expensive, that will give you a reading on water content but if it has been a couple of years or more just replace the fluid. Pushing out to years left me with pistons that were stuck so bad that I had to use vise grips to remove them and buy new ones.
  20. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Flushing the brake system on a bike is one of the easier maintenance functions you can do. There's really no reason not to do it every two years. Then you have peace of mind that your fluid isn't collecting water, and your calipers/pistons last longer.
    Redfish Hunter, slipknot and de Vaca like this.