FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the fluid has any mileage on it at all, the ugliness of what comes out of the clutch slave cylinder will make you happy you flushed it.

I saw a Harley that had water in the clutch fluid and it wasn't pretty. When the bike got hot, the water started boiling in the system and the clutch lever had no effect. We flushed/replaced the clutch fluid and all was well again. It wasn't the Harley's fault, the owner got a good lesson regarding pressure washers and shiny chrome plated reservoir covers.
  2. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harley has also had several recalls for their hydraulic clutches. For something the other manufacturers have used since the 1980's HD is pretty late to the game and it's given them some teething problems.
  3. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Harley has relieved itself of that problem, along with the hydraulic clutches. A friend's '21 CVO Road Glide has a cable clutch.
    Chuck Pryce likes this.
  4. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went for a 410 km ride today for ice cream. The templ was 34 deg C and one spot the temp said 39.
    Stopped at a water fall to cool off, the cool moist air coming off the falls sure felt nice.
    Temps suppose to hit 40 for the next few days so the bike will stay parked for a bit.
    The ride started out stupid.
    Had a battery that would only get the starter to click.
    Turns out the USB sockets I have wired in with a switch were left on after the last ride and there is an indicator light. Just enough to pull the battery down.
    Did a jump start with a battery pack.
    Then backed the bike out to the street.
    Wanted to keep it running to charge the battery, except it was pointed down hill.
    Yep it tried to roll away and I dam near dropped it.
    Then on the ride I had a bear run out across the road in front of me. I cranked the bike behind it and I could have kicked it in the butt.
    So it was a great day. ReactNative-snapshot-image8669552843083119342.jpg image-4f7c232c-7b4a-473e-9011-f77e6309ed97.jpg image-424e1579-510b-483e-85a5-8402af711a31.jpg image-e94e8329-027a-45e3-910c-cc95db749a2c.jpg
  5. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ true this
  6. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For all of those who had the transmission recall, be sure and check your motor mount bolts after a few thousand miles. 20210702_134109.jpg I had a couple that had loosened. 7,000 miles now on the bike since it was done.
  7. Sefto

Sefto I think I'll just crash here.

Oddometer:
    How Green Was My Valley

[​IMG]
    davyjones, kumfykozy, Toter and 11 others like this.
  8. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires hard to find?
    I rode from Prince George to Kamloops the other day on my FJR
    Through some major thunder storms and once I just had to pull over and sit in the downpour as I could not see the road.
    There was fog on the road as well.
    My Perelli Angel GT was cupping pretty bad and there was a vibration in the front end.
    I don't want to do my tour of the south of B.C. with that tire.
    So in Kamloops I started looking for a replacement.
    NONE of the shops in Kamloops have a tire the correct size.
    Every shop told me that tires are on back order, and it could be a few weeks before they had one.
    So, since I am staying a few days at our daughter's place here I ordered one from Vancouver and I am having it shipped courier here.
    I didn't realize that tires are on the Hard To Get List due to Covid
  9. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    I have ordered 2 sets of tires in the last couple of months and haven't seen a shortage, but that is from online shops not brick and mortar, so it is possible, also possible that dealer didn't know what it was talking about.
  10. Canyon Rider

Canyon Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I work part time at a dealership. We get tires by the pallet every few weeks. I have not seen a shortage.
  11. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The strange thing is, I got the same story from 4 dealerships.
    They all said their tires were on back order.
    I told them I would take any premium tire the correct size and they all had none in stock.
    A 120 70 ZR 17 isn't an usual size either.
  12. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    It is possibly a problem in Canada because of COVID then
  13. Yama-Saurus

Yama-Saurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Supply is not the problem, it just sounds like all those dealers are just checking with 1 distributor and not checking with others. Will take a guess is Parts Canada ?
    Talking with several distributor reps, too many dealers stay with a specific distributor and not check with different ones if their preferred / favorite supplier is out.
    Say a dealer mainly uses Parts Unlimited as their supplier, but PU happens to be out of brand X of tires, gloves, brakes, (whatever ) but WPS, Tucker and other distributors would have tons of stock of the same thing.
    Sadly, instead of making the extra effort, dealer guy / gal takes the easy and lazy route of "backordered".
  14. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    20210707_173011.jpg Out for a ride today to test out the new Laam seat. Tried to avoid stopping till I got some miles on the new seat, but couldn't pass up a good photo op with a nice covered bridge. Seat feels great so far. Now just have to take my wife out to test the pillion Laam.
  15. Stomp347

Stomp347 I'll do anything fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where did you take this pic Dave?
  16. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful photo and wonderful old bridge. Too bad they had to mess it up with the 'protective ironworks' in front of it.
    Dualsport4ever likes this.
  17. Sefto

Sefto I think I'll just crash here.

Oddometer:
    Atop the hairpin turn overlooking Silo Ridge, Amenia NY. Lets go!
  18. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In case you haven't heard, Michelin is offering a progressive rebate (the more you spend, the more you save) on motorcycle tires. Online re-sellers apply. I just ordered a set of PR4GT's from Rocky Mountain ATV. Not including tax, price to the door is $307, and with the $60 rebate, that puts the set at $247 (plus tax). That's the lowest I've ever paid for a set of PR4s.

Rebate is good through the month of July, 2021.

https://www.michelinman.com/motorcy...erPromoEM1&utm_term=Module1&utm_content=promo
    mikes'gs and RiderGary like this.
  19. Stomp347

Stomp347 I'll do anything fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaaah nice!! This is my last weekend of commitments for a while, let me know!!!
  20. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:

I ordered a set on Monday and got them yesterday, they will also file the rebate for you
    HPPants likes this.