FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep - Rockymountain ATV is a very good vendor - just took care of my rebate for me as well!!
  2. 06ltd

06ltd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished my first Saddle Sore 1000 on my '05 yesterday, 1,054 miles in just over 19 hours. What a phenomenal machine, she just wanted to sit at 90 and eat miles to no end but I had to pull back so my buddy on his F6B could keep up. I was on the fence about the RDL saddle I got a couple months back but not any longer. Between that and the highway pegs I put on I'm not at all sore today. Can't wait to get out and do another one!

IMG_3432.jpeg

(excuse the clock, I hadn't ridden since EDT set in)

IMG_3434.jpeg
    (took this one at home since I forgot at the gas station)
    davyjones, Alton, Sefto and 6 others like this.
  3. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats!! Great ride!

06ltd likes this.
  4. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    An XJR1300 is just an FJR without the fairing, right? As it turns out, not so much. While trying to track down a tiny oil leak, I'm leaving the fairing off while riding it around a bit. It's surprising how much the fairing helps to keep the heat off your legs and crotch. Random question: What is the bolt hole in the picture meant for (with the red arrow pointing at it)? The one to the right is used to secure the fairing, but this hole appears to be unused. Why?
    upload_2021-7-11_19-19-23.png
    davyjones likes this.
  5. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    The XJR is quite a bit different. Chain drive to begin with, and different radiator, as well as other design changes for a naked bike.

The bolt hole is likely for fixturing purposes when machining the frame.
  6. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah, the XJR-FJR comparison was kind of a joke, both being 1300cc Yamahas.

Thanks for the info on the bolt hole. My first guess was that it was made for some sort of engine guard (for police models, maybe?), but I guess not. I'm eager to get the oil leak fixed so I can put the fairings back on. I miss my cigarette plug the most of all!
  7. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should my 2013 have come from the factory with bag liners? None came with the bike and I miss having them. My 2004 came with them.
  8. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2013 came with bag liners included.
    *Gravy* likes this.
  9. Yama-Saurus

Yama-Saurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both my 07 and 13 had the bag liners with them and I bought both bikes used from individuals that bought each new.
    The previous owner of my 13 did specifically tell the story of when he bought it new, he asked about the liners when the sales guy was doing the walk around and saw they we not in or with the bike and got the " oh yeah, those".
    So they walked to that dealer's PDI area and sales guy opened a cabinet that was full of them. So seems to be an individual dealer thing perhaps ?

Talking to a Yamaha dealer rep, he wasn't sure but "thought" at some year model the bag liners went from being included to an accessory folks had to buy.
    *Gravy* likes this.
  10. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure all US bikes came with the bag liners standard.
  11. *Gravy*

Oddometer:
    I guess it's shopping time.

Thanks for the responses.
  12. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the great ride. The best accessory for the FJR is regular gas...just sayin'
    Madman4049, danh600 and 06ltd like this.
  13. 06ltd

06ltd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I've seen this posted elsewhere, especially regarding the "tick" and I'm curious, why would octane make a difference?
  14. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    @*Gravy* I have an extra set, I will send you a PM and make you a good deal
  15. *Gravy*

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer!

I looked around on Google and found a gal who sews them and already hit the order button. I get the impression it's a small business so I just wouldn't feel right canceling.
    cognosticator, mikes'gs and danh600 like this.
  16. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took my FJR in for the recall last Saturday. Dealer called this afternoon and said it was ready to be picked up. Will get it Saturday morning, hopefully no issues. Saturday will tell the truth.
  17. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have only the front brake switch recall - a 1 hour job they say. However neither dealer nearest to me will schedule a 1 hour slot for me so I can ride the bike in and then ride home. I'd have to trailer it and then go pick it up. Flagstaff and Prescott are about 50 miles from here, so a real PITA. And, of course they won't just sell me the part.
  18. Yama-Saurus

Yama-Saurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well of course they can't / won't ell you a factory recall replacement part. And after taking my '13 apart a couple times in that area, it's going to take a non FJR familiar tech longer than 1 hour, just to get it apart and the switch and harness out. Much less assembly is reverse of disassembly time.

So if you are not gonna do their bring it / come get it dance and let a dealer do the work and want to just buy the part, why not look up the stop switch for the FJR, order it from ( insert preferred seller here ) and you do the work?
    Pretty sure when you look up a stop switch now, it's superseded to a new number and most likely from a new year FJR.
    Of course the recall will remain "open" for your VIN number if you go that route.
    gen1fizzy and kbuckey like this.
  19. *Gravy*

Oddometer:
    My local dealer just did my recall as well. Simple process, no questions asked. Didn't get blinky cruise light on the 20 mile ride home.

So far, so good.
  20. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I figure on it taking longer than an hour. I have thought of just ordering the part from my favorite supplier, I just wanted to be sure it was the new part. D'oh, never thought to just check the part #.