FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Yama-Saurus

Yama-Saurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found on another forum... part number for the recall kit is different from parts diagrams as is the switch and a few zip ties.

https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/2016-2020-2-nd-gear-recall.152765/page-41#post-1292437
    kbuckey likes this.
  2. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I remembering reading somewhere that that switch is about $120+... My bike was the first that the dealer had done. It took about two hours. The installation of the wiring on the switch is very much wound around amoungst the parts.
  3. Yama-Saurus

Yama-Saurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here as the dealership that did mine had ZERO experience with FJR other than basic service. They were up front about it and asked me to shadow their tech and I gave insight and pointers as he took that section of my bike apart, replaced the switch and harness, and put it back together. 2 hours and 15 minutes worth as he was making notes and taking pics. Crazy how Yama-mama wound the harness in and around the front of the bike.
    Shop did give me free oil and filter for my time and effort.
    mitchapalooza and Chuck Pryce like this.
  4. slipknot

slipknot Hello Girls

Oddometer:
    You should support a dealer like that. Which dealer?
    mitchapalooza and Chuck Pryce like this.
  5. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:

I did that last year when my brake switch broke. It was before the recall and I got the part from Partzilla and I recall it taking a little more than an hour but I had never done it before. There is a video of how to do it on the internet, it will really help in knowing how it comes apart

I just tried to find it quickly but struck out, it may be on a forum
    kbuckey likes this.
  6. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up the sled this morning from the dealer, after a thorough inspection and about a 12-15 mile ride after getting it back home and a good cleaning all seems to be good. Shifting seems better, before it did have a slight notchy feel, now a smoother shift between all the gears. Tomorrow will get it out for a longer, more aggressive ride. Hopefully no leaks or drips. Next few hundred miles will tell the tale.
    kumfykozy, de Vaca and workerB like this.
  7. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    Patch and kbuckey like this.
  8. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had the fjr back for a week now, put just over 100 miles on it, city, country, and hiway combination. So far it’s perfect, no leaks, shifts very smooth, runs strong as ever. No scratches or nicks or dings. Have to say the dealership did an excellent job.
    kumfykozy, danh600, HPPants and 2 others like this.
  9. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Based on my understanding of the recall, if it doesn't blow up in 10 miles, or start leaking somewhere within 50 or so, you should be good to go forever.
    kumfykozy likes this.
  10. Bocephous

Bocephous Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    Has anybody tried a cheapo ebay windshield extension to reduce buffeting? I just ordered one for $23 to see if it would help or eliminate one of my few gripes with my FJR.
    cognosticator and smack doogle like this.
  11. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    Yep and it works works great moving the air up over my head
    Bocephous likes this.
  12. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Michelin Road 5GT front tire installed on my 2012 FJR.
    One thing that has surprised me so far is that it tracks perfectly straight on grouved pavement.
    On a recent trip I ran into a very long section of construction where they had removed a layer of pavement leaving grouved pavement behind
    With some other tires the bike tended to follow the grouves and cause a shake in the handlebars.
    No cause for concern just something I noticed.
    The Road 5GT tire tracked perfectly straight and I could even remove my hands from the bars and still it tracked straight and true.
    It will be interesting to see what I get for mileage.
    My previous tire was a Perelli Angel GT.
    kbuckey likes this.
  13. rackam_le_rouge

rackam_le_rouge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The French tire is very good !!!
    signed: A French !! Cocorico !!!! ( cock-a-doodle Doo )
    slipknot likes this.
  14. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    Recalls and tires aside, I have an FJR question...

Recently acquired 2004 FJR1300 with ABS, and approximately 40,000mi. Kind of unknown service history, but was recently serviced by myself and the last owner who actually rode the thing. Multiple owners, but one of those deals too good to pass up. We picked it up for my girlfriend's dad for a cross country trip.

We went over it with what I thought was a fine tooth comb, and fixed all of the identified issues from the once over, mostly weird battery relocation related issues. Started, ran great, still silly fast, no 6th gear, you know, normal FJR stuff.

It sat for a few months as we slowly worked on it, and haven't really ridden it until last week or the week before as it doesn't have tags. Took it for a buzz around the block, started, idled, rode great. When we pulled it back into the garage after it warmed up, we heard a pronounced loud ticking or possible knocking. This was the first time we heard it, it did not do it when we parked it. We took it out a week later to confirm we weren't crazy and again, while cold it was the perfect little sewing machine, once warm we heard the noise again.

My concern is that I've only heard of one or two things with these first gen's that manifests itself in that way, warm and loud ticking or knocking. This bike is being ridden from CO to MD in a couple of weeks on a father daughter cross country ride.

Brain trust, share thy thoughts.
  15. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard the noise so without that input I can only offer a couple of suggestions. 1st thing is to check for is a dot of paint on the cam chain tensioner. Without the updated version with the dot, it's not a question of if but instead, when it fails. You will need a mirror and a flashlight to see this,
    Second known problem is a few of the Gen 1s had valve guide issues and needed the guides replaced.
    Valve ticking will wait but the tensioner will not. I'd check this before running the engine any more. Bearing failure is rare on the FJR so I doubt that's it. Carbon buildup in the chamber can also cause knocking.
    That's all I have, good luck.
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  16. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fizzy is spot on. I'd wage a sandwich that its the cam chain tensioner, which is an easy fix (if you can get the part).

If you already have the updated CCT, then the next step in my opinion would be to check the valve clearance.

It's also possible that you have a noisy injector, which could clear itself by running gallons of gasoline through it.
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  17. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I've ordered a tensioner and the required gaskets. We looked all over, and without removing the old one we are 95% sure it's the original design.

I guess we'll go from there. I thought I heard it on the right side of the moto, but am not that confident. Hoping that's all it is.

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations. I'll post an update once the tensioner is in and we run it around the neighborhood again, for as of right now it's on the no start list.
    HPPants likes this.
  18. krampus von der fan

krampus von der fan This one time at bant camp.....

Oddometer:
    Okay, my Harley Ultra is getting too heavy for these old legs, I'm going to sell and replace it with something a bit lighter and am thinking about an FJR or a Concours. How are the bikes for "long-distance" touring, reliability, dealer support, etc? I bought a Motus last year thinking that it would do the trick. I love the bike except for the total lack of dealer support and parts are starting to get iffy.
  19. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the look, sound, and style of the Motus but once I saw the pricing structure ruled it out as beyond my price range. The fact they're already closed up would now make it as functional for a daily ride as my Buell. Have to be afraid of something happening as you just can't get parts to repair it if you need them.

The FJR is just about as reliable as a hammer. Look into the finishing line up of the past several Iron Butt Rallies and read the reports. On at least 2 occasions more FJRs finished the rally than started it! One of those FJRs was mine even. Concours is certainly not a bad bike either and I won't talk down about it. For me the FJR just fit better and I'd had good luck with Yamaha in the past. The FJR has a long reputation of reliability, ease of maintenance, and good parts availability with good aftermarket support. If you look at the dedicated FJR forums you'll find owners there with up to 400k on these bikes and 100k is done without batting an eye. Probably the biggest "weak spot" is the stock seat but there are several well known seat builders with good reputations who can fix that for you.
    krampus von der fan likes this.
  20. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BC knows from what he writes - the FJR is an extremely reliable bike with proven technology. It is considerably lighter than your Ultra Glide, but at 650-ish pounds wet, is still heavier than many bikes suitable for touring. You will feel that weight most at speeds of 20 mph and below. Once you get going, the FJR is much (MUCH) more nimble than the big HD.

Comparing the FJR to the Connie, lots of good information (presented from the FJR side) here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/177832-concours-or-fjr

(not sure if you have to join the forum to see that link)

(Captain Obvious) - a sport touring bike is a world apart from the HD cruiser/bagger/touring bike. The weight distribution difference for your hands, arse, and feet alone will make it totally different from that which you are used to. HOpefully find a demo ride before you plunk your money down.
    BkerChuck likes this.