FL ADV'ers Check-In

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by sullydirt, Jul 28, 2006.

1. sullydirt

sullydirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see many rides coming together here in FL. I know there are some ADV'ers here. Maybe we can start getting some rides together.

Check-in here, I'll start.

03' Dakar
    Flagler (30 miles north of Daytona)

Mike
  2. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    '06 950S in Jax.

David
  3. Dirty Bling

Dirty Bling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just back to riding after 20+ years with a '01 Dakar first bike in a long time and lovin it.:ricky ...west side Fl. in Sarasota. Grew up in N.W. NJ with lots of fields and mountains this place very flat and :snore I'm sure Fl. has more of us.............
  4. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    It takes food..... and drink..... to lure some of us out into the open :freaky

Merritt Island.
  5. Rainrider

Rainrider Rainrider

Oddometer:
    Ride on! I live in South Florida and the only time I see another GS is when I visit the BMW store in Ft Lauderdale. My friends idea of a "ride" is about 4 blocks to the beach and back. I know there are some out there with knowledge of dirt roads and trails through the Indian Reservations in the Everglades, that would be cool, watch for logs, theyre really big gators in the road. I would recommend to either meet in Ocala National Forest where they once had a GS event or over by Tampa or Zephyhills where there is supposed to be a big park for offroaders. Or, we could just quit screwing around and have an annual event in Helen, GA. If you havent been its the gateway to the mountains of N. Georgia, N.C., etc. You've got it all there; hills, twisties, whatever you want. It's an eleven hour ride for me so if I can make so can the others.

Rainrider
    GS1150 Adventure
  6. creola

creola Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding to Key West Tuesday, 080106, from central FL. Come on along.
  7. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saintpete Florida here ... Florida sucks for riding this time of the year. I would like to ride Ocala national forest sometime this year when it gets a little cooler. 2006 650GS and a 1972 75/5 toaster.
  8. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea where the park is in Tampa?
  9. CaptTurbo

CaptTurbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    '03 R1150GS Sport

Ft. Myers. It's too blamed hot to ride far just now.

Neville. :knary
  10. Dirty Bling

Dirty Bling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds good the Everglades,Tampa area or better yet the Georgia run, but it is hotter than hell right now [​IMG], but I did get caught in the rain today 40 min. ride home with new Mich. Anakees, they made me feel confident in the wet and it cooled me right off. If something is put together in Sept. or early Oct. I'm in [​IMG]
  11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Reporting in from Jacksonville.

Book (now sold out) on riding in Northeastern Florida right here: http://www.buccaneerpublishing.com/index.html -- other book projects in the works.

Guide to the Florida Keys right here: http://buccaneerpublishing.com/AdventureGuide.htm .

Photos from the latest Mexican trip here: http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={73ECC063-8033-4019-9F20-F19215FA8C13}&inv=310309400F90334&userid={73ECC063-8033-4019-9F20-F19215FA8C13}&inv=310309400F90334

I'm on a little bit of a hiatus from riding at the moment as we refit a classic Bluebird diesel pusher motorhome (read: "base for more Mexican trips") but Bosswoman and I will be in the Keys and back on the road before the year is out.

If anyone is accumulating a list of names and addresses then pencil me in -- I'd love to get out and ride a bit.
  12. Rainrider

Rainrider Rainrider

Oddometer:
    OK, well I'll admit the 118 degrees in Las Vegas was too hot for my brother from San Diego, I wouldn't let weather stand in the way of a good (hard) ride. So, we'll gather in Ocala when it cools off a bit and blast into Helen, Georgia? Last year I had a 2 bedroom on the Chatahoochie with hot tub and grill on the balcony for 125/night. If the idea of riding for hours without having to hit your brakes for traffic sounds good, then let's head North to Helen. If Tampa or Ocala works for a weekend jaunt, that's ok, too. We should try to get a group from the southeast to head to Helen for Octerberfest. Maybe make it our own (ADV) bike week? If we pull from Al, Ga,FL,NC, SC, maybe we could get a dozen bikes? I was bummed last year at Daytona Bike week when I showed up at the the big ADV gathering at the Ale House, I think there was one bike there? Did the 50 degree weather scare everyone off? With our heated seats, heated grips, and heated vests we were ready to rock but no one showed up. Let's take over Helen this Ocober!
    P.S. Best ride memories: Helen, Ga, pouring down raining, circling the big lake, boat houses, mountain vistas in the background. When you die and go to heaven, this is where you 'll ride!
  13. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boojum has a ADV rider camping planned out for these dates at the Cherohola Motorcycle resort in Tellico plains TN. I will be there I am providing 2 kegs of beer. Lets all ride up?
    Phil
  14. Rainrider

Rainrider Rainrider

Oddometer:
    Where is Kenneth City? Panhandle? I guess I could fit two small kegs in my aluminum bags? I don't think Florida offers much of a venue for ADV'rs. Need to hit at least N. Georgia for some good terain. Maybe I better just buy a Harley like everyone else and ride to the beach, try to look cool?
    Rainrider
    GS1150 Adventure
  15. old-n-slow

old-n-slow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There aren't many places to really adventure ride down here, but there are places to sharpen your skills. If you have Microsoft Streets & Trips, focus on central Florida just north and east of Tampa. Find Lake County. Use the select box and make a zoom square from the Sumter County line, in the west and across from Lake Erie Road, to the Polk county line at highway 33 in the south. Zoom in. Zoom in again. Welcome to the playground.
  16. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kenneth City is a little red neck town near SaintPete. The wife is following me up in the truck. Tent ,beer her extra panties etc.

Rainrider....buy the Harley get some tatts and dont wash for a week you will fit right in. Wait.........the wife says she will lend you one of her tank tops just for good measure.

Rainrider..........wife said you can ride up in the truck with her.
  17. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry The most suave of stooges

Oddometer:
    South Florida here.
  18. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump for the Florida riders.............
  19. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    Im in Tampa with a '03 Sport 1150....I'm guilty of always planing rides that end up in another state...:lol3 We need to have a get together local like...just meet for some grub and BS session...I'm selling my house now (along with everybody else:cry ), but would travel a bit to meet up with some local ADV'ers..
  20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I'll second (third?) the motion for a Tampa get together. Either there or over around Daytona Beach somewhere.

Anyone want to put the show on?

If you want to ride up to Jacksonville we've got a decently sized backyard and can put together a cookout. We wouldn't mind having a few folks sleep over (or crash in the back yard as the case may be) as long as the cats don't mind :1drink