FL to MI on a DR200 and as much dirt as possible....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GreenF350, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :-)

Glad your down below the 49th parrilla...
    Shes a bit nippy up here in our area...

Good on you brother,,, rubber side down
  2. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I came out in one area that had a pretty nice homestead/ranch. I couldn't help be a bit jealous. I've always wanted to own a home/cabin in the middle of nowhere with a good chunk of land. Problem is, the more I travel and see, the less I can narrow down an area I want to settle in for a "forever home". Hmmm.... (Sorry about the picture quality...I'm snapping and riding. :fpalm )

231a8e2aa375661b029cbf2042537afd - Copy.JPG

Ok. So, what I didn't expect on this trip was every day, literally EVERY day I was on the road I saw at least one turkey. Most days I saw a deer or two as well, but every day I saw turkeys. It took me until day 3 to finally get the camera into action quick enough to see any of them. Trouble is, in a hurry I managed to get my finger in the picture. Go figure. Maybe you'll believe me if I tell you I was just pointing to it?? There were actually a couple more that made it into the woods before I got the camera into action, but I finally had proof!

bec0df26719f013d58bf7a2fedfff0c0 - Copy.JPG

The road went back and forth between farms and woods. I didn't take any pictures of the more civilized areas I went through...It just didn't seem photo worthy on this trip.

448f935eecae72c10dc6f8041cc8f921 - Copy.JPG
    33a35582fc358798b7d18a606959f7a6 - Copy.JPG
    e8e885689d35d3b65e1626c8373225e4 - Copy.JPG

I got by a fish hatchery. I believe it was the Chattahoochee Forest National Fish Hatchery if my memory serves me right.

9b615d5583249be166ec17219247b391 - Copy.JPG

On the way up one of the nights I realized I was going to be right near "Two Wheels of Suches" and thought...Shoot, I have to stay there at least once. So I made the detour and swung by. Unfortunately they seemed closed...I guess they are only open on the weekends?

IMG_7873 - Copy.JPG

Well, I hang out for a few minutes to rest my rear and figure out where I need to go from here. I decide on Cooper Creek Campground and I hop back on and hit the road. I pick out a campsite and register (This time there is a pen) and walk along the river. The area and river are quite a bit different, but at a quick glance it reminds me of the river I always trout fished on back home in Michigan. I debated bringing along my fly rod (that I am still learning how to work), but decided getting a new license every night or two would probably be cost prohibitive and left the fishing gear at home.

IMG_7876 - Copy.JPG IMG_7878 - Copy.JPG

I try and get a picture at each overnight location, especially when camping but almost forgot until I was packing up the next morning. This was my accommodations for the night, sans rain fly.

IMG_7920 - Copy - Copy.JPG
  3. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    GreenF350 likes this.
  4. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I didn't really specify....This one is an "after report". I'm back to the daily grind....for now. I will check out the links though, since this trip really solidified the thought that I need more time to spend exploring in this part of the country.
    Jeathrow Bowdean likes this.
  5. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah. Ok. I probably miss read this as live.
  6. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day four was the first day I remember waking up and thinking it was a bit chilly. Not bad, but below the temperature I was comfortable in just a T-Shirt. One of the first things I noticed after I packed up and hit the road was how sore I was between my shoulders/base of the neck. Every time I turned my head it felt like someone was stabbing me with a needle. Not sure what all that is about, but I'm guessing there is a pinched nerve in there somewhere. It wasn't too far along when I looked off to my right and saw a really tall waterfall that seemed to have some pretty good flow. I stopped and snapped a few pictures from the road. I REALLY wanted to hike down to it, but I made the mistake of having an ambitious schedule for this trip and I knew my next destination was going to take all day to get to, so this one will leave me something to look forward to on the next trip. I believe this was Helton Creek Falls.

1 - Copy.JPG
    2 - Copy.JPG

A little farther along I came up on a scenic turnout at Hogpen Gap. I stopped for a picture and noticed I had some signal so I checked in with the family real quick. It was getting a bit colder as I climbed up and was kind of surprised because it wasn't a huge elevation increase, but it must've been enough. (I'm a bit of a wuss with cold temps....what can I say. :dunno) According to the info at the overlook the peak in the back right is the highest peak in Georgia.

3 - Copy.JPG

I cruised on down through Helen, GA. I'd always heard about it, but this was my first time through there. I stopped for some gas for the bike and some breakfast for me. Cool little town I'd like to come back to on a long weekend or something to check out. Not too long after that I came to the first creek crossing of the trip and figured that was worth documenting.

6 - Copy.jpg

Along the way there was one area where they had done some semi-recent logging. It made for some good views since I could see through the trees and kind of reminded me of the drone/airplane shots of rain forests that they do in movies....maybe a Jurassic Park type or something...or maybe my imagination is finally catching up with me. Who knows?

4 - Copy.JPG 5 - Copy.JPG

I catch a glimpse of a road down through the trees and figure I'll be down there in a few minutes. If this is the picture I think it is....I was wrong. The road I was on came to a tee and I went the other direction.

7 - Copy.jpg

Of course there were a few creeks coming down on the "hill side" of the corners. Some created little waterfalls, some just cascaded down the rocks.

8 - Copy.JPG

Remember how I had mentioned I saw turkeys every day...Well, I managed a bit better of a picture on this day.

9 - Copy.JPG

I ended up on a road that followed along the power lines zig zagging back and forth across them for some ways. It allowed for some great views across the countryside, except for the darn poles/steel structures for the power lines. Oh well...I guess I'm not really complaining.

10 - Copy.JPG
  7. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As the sun started going down I was wondering just how much farther I had to go. Earlier in the day I had a car start to turn left in front of me. I saw him making his move and was already on the brakes, but when they saw me they slammed on the brakes and stopped sideways halfway across my lane. Awesome. Initially I had really got on the brakes in case I he blocked me and the rear locked up on me for just a moment until I could let off and steer between them and the car stopped waiting to pull out from the intersection. I wasn't going that fast, but sight at the turn was limited due to both the turn and the hill. Mental note: This isn't Florida where roads are flat and straight. Fortunately/unfortunately, this was only the second (or maybe third) most "exciting event" on this trip. Had they just committed and made the turn it would have saved some drama.

I stopped for a shot of the beautiful sunset as it was starting to get dark.

11 - Copy.jpg

Speaking of dark...I don't know why, but for some reason I had the urge to check my tail light and “Surprise!” it isn't working. Hmmm, neither is the brake light. That's not good, especially with it getting dark. Better get a move on.

Of course it is dark by the time I get to my planned campground. Even better, this one either closes the gate after hours or is closed. It's dark, I have no lights on the rear and my planned stop is no longer an option (Although I considered finding a way around the gate or dragging the bike under and staying here anyway.). Furthermore, I am very aware that sometime tonight the rain from Hurricane/Tropical Storm/"whatever it was at the time" Sally was supposed to get here. I decide to keep following the route on my GPS. Fortunately there wasn't a lot of traffic out there and in about 50ish miles or so I only have 2 cars come up behind me that I pull over and let by. I stop at the first gas station I find. Fortunately they left the pumps on, but they are closed. I change out to some warmer gloves and take a look at Google Maps. I ended up with a hotel and a plan to fix the tail light in the morning since riding in the rain is only the SLIGHTEST bit better than riding in the dark without some sort of light to my rear.
    svtride, Amphib, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  8. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report, following.
  9. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wake up and take a peek out the window of the hotel. After dumping almost 30" of rain at home and despite leaving a day early, the remnants of Hurricane Sally have caught up with me.

1 - Copy.jpg

Well, darn. Getting wet is a part of travelling on a motorcycle though. If I didn't have a time schedule to meet I might have searched harder for a campsite the night before and just holed up for another day. I was really excited to be on this trip and didn't really think about the fact that I had left a day early, so therefore could have done just that. Instead I load up and head over to the local O'Reillys to work on that tail light. I park and look across the road at how the clouds are down below the tops of the hills.

2 - Copy.jpg

I get into my bags and wouldn't you know it...My multi-tool isn't where I thought it was. I dig around a bit and end up emptying that bag and feel around. Nope. Weird. Maybe I put it in a different bag? I dig around some more and finally give up. I go in and buy one of the flip bit type screwdrivers and get to work. (Good thing I didn't need a screw driver on the trail.) I had hesitantly hoped that maybe both filaments in the bulb had burned out, but knew the ground terminals were known to break off and suspected that to be the problem. Sure enough, it was.

3 - Copy.jpg

Now...How to fix this, in the rain, in a parking lot. That'll work just fine. (In fact, it still is.) :hide

4 - Copy.jpg

Now, to go checkout the diner I saw that bears my family name. It's not a really common name and I thought it would be cool to eat there. When I get there I found out it didn't open until 10:00 or 10:30. Regardless, it was over an hour until it opened and I just couldn't see standing in the rain to eat there...Yet another thing I will have to make another trip to come back and see/do. Instead, I settle for a picture out in front of the sign.

5 - Copy.jpg

I left out of there and hit the first section of dirt for the day. As I gain elevation it gets colder...or sure seems like it. I stop up above 4,000' (pretty sure that is correct from memory) and snap a "selfie". "Gross....rain." It's cold, but so far I'm still having fun.

11 - Copy.JPG

I eventually came out on some pavement and needed to stop for gas. Now, I knew when I left my dedicated rain gear at home that in a constant, all day rain, that my jacket and pants wouldn't keep me dry even though they have a waterproof layer. I didn't expect my gloves (with outers) and my boots to leak too. By now I am pretty much soaked through and colder than I can enjoy. After getting gas I go in and get a cup of coffee. I'm MAYBE halfway to my next nights stop, but I still have that stupid schedule idea in my head. Despite being great views and riding I decide to hit the pavement and head straight to tonight's camp so I can try and get out of my wet clothes and get warm.

I get to the campsite, cold and wet, but no worse for the wear. I checkout the board for prices and a map of the sites and make a loop to make sure I get one that won't flood. I decide on one, go back up front and pay for it. When I get back the camp hosts and another camper are in my spot...Uh, oh. They are looking for two good spots near each other because they have friends coming. There aren't really any other great tent sites open, but a few that will do. We kind of him-haw around for a bit and since the camp hosts don't care, I decide I don't either and move up a bit to a different spot. I figure I am only here for a day and by myself anyway. The woman comments on how I am shivering. I tell her I'm fine and that my wife always says not to worry about me because I do this stuff to myself. :rofl (She's not wrong. :loco)

I get out the tent, get all prepared and try to set it up as fast as I can to keep the inside dry. I don't fully lose that battle to the rain, but I'd call it a tie. It's a good campsite and they are all pretty separated from one another. I decide I like this spot just fine as long as I don't take on any water through the floor of the tent.

9 - Copy.jpg

I have signal at this campsite and get to talking to my wife about the storm and looking at some pictures on social media. This was a picture of my backyard the wife sent me.

6 - Copy.jpg

This is on US 98 in Florida (picture pulled from FB). If you aren't familiar with the area it is one of the main east/west routes, but in my area usually runs within sight of the Gulf of Mexico (although I am pretty sure this is from erosion, not storm surge/surf).

7 - Copy.jpg

Lastly, this is from (what was) one of my favorite biker hangouts in the area. It is in Freeport, FL and was called "The Outpost for Bikers" when it was open. This is the parking lot and main building. It didn't close from the Hurricane though. The owner unfortunately got cancer and had passed away before this.

8 - Copy.PNG

We got really lucky and didn't have any damage, but many in our area weren't as lucky.

While I was checking out what the effects of the storm were and looking at what the current weather was doing I heard a holler from out by my bike. I stick my head out and the most amazing camp hosts I had ever met had decided they had some leftovers and brought me dinner and coffee! I was flabbergasted as I had planned some cashews and a cup of coffee I could cook in the vestibule. They even brought me a bit of firewood in case I wanted it to warm up. I thanked them a profusely and told them they were amazing people. In this day and age when the news and social media can sometimes make you forget, I am reminded (and humbled) at some of the great people out there.
  10. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I was checking out what the effects of the storm were and looking at what the current weather was doing I heard a holler from out by my bike. I stick my head out and the most amazing camp hosts I have ever met had decided they had some leftovers and brought me dinner and coffee! I was flabbergasted as I had planned some cashews and a cup of coffee I could cook in the vestibule. They even brought me a bit of firewood in case I wanted it to warm up. I thanked them a profusely and told them they were amazing people. In this day and age when the news and social media can sometimes make you forget, I am reminded (and humbled) at some of the great people out there. (Sorry for the socks, I hadn't got them hung up to dry out yet)

10 - Copy.jpg

The food was DELICIOUS. I finally warmed up and decided to settle in for the night.

Right after I settled in, the rain finally started to let up. Looked like the weather app was right. Tomorrow will be another good day.
    RJ44, bergy, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  11. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a very fine RR. Well done,sir. Do proceed. Petepilot
  12. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    This comment got me thinking about the hosts I have run into the last 5 years since I got back on a motorcycle and in a tent. I honestly can’t think of a “horrible” one, and most were folks you’d be glad to share your campfire with.

Now back farther when I was travelling with a 34ft fifth wheel, I definitely ran into hosts / owners who I wouldn’t want anywhere near me.

And the more I think about this, everyone (hosts - other campers - maintenance folks - etc) seems more friendly towards me while on a motorcycle.

Anyway, back to your report— it’s great, and I love the picture of the tent floor with your gifted meal (and a lot of your stuff) all in their properly allocated spot. :photog
    Amphib, Ginger Beard and GreenF350 like this.
  13. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel the need for another/repeat disclaimer....I've been trying to organize my pictures from "Day 6" and I can't figure out the order of some of these for sure. I figure there are probably some people here that are familiar with these areas so I can't even try and play it off with confidence and hope no one is the wiser, so again, I apologize and I will do my best from memory, but the order may be off.

I wake up and don't hear rain on the tent. That alone is a win. All my clothes are still wet, to include my motorcycle jacket and pants, along with my boots. I can't say I'm surprised. This might be "TMI" (Too much info), but I only brought two pairs of jeans so I throw the wet pair back on, along with the socks since I figure they will just get soaked again when I put them in my boots. I pack all my stuff up and get the bike loaded. As I roll out of camp I stop to say thanks one more time to the camp hosts and end up talking for probably a half an hour. Great people. I rolled out of the campground and immediately made a wrong turn. Man does that make me feel stupid, I guess my internal sense of direction is getting rusty with all the reliance on GPS. I flip a U-turn and I'm finally back on the road.

1 - Copy.JPG

This area of Virginia (I think that is the right state.) is super green and while definitely different , makes me think of a lot of the pictures I've seen of Ireland or even the UK with the rolling green hills.

There wasn't anything particularly noteworthy in this picture, but was a good example of the views in this area.

2 - Copy.JPG

I did notice more people in this area are waving at me as I pass them or they go by in a car/truck. I also notice I seem to be seeing almost exclusively people that appear to be over 60-ish. I ponder why that is and if it is an accurate assessment of the population in the area. I guess I'll never know, but a rattled around a few ideas in my head while I was clicking off some miles. I passed a few different turn-offs because of both not paying attention to my GPS and because occasionally I would misinterpret the main road or angles of roads at an intersection. I scold myself for not paying attention, but traffic is so light it's not that big of a deal. I just pull off on a straight, flat area and flip a U-turn.

It doesn't take too long and I turn off on the first gravel road of the day and start climbing into the hills. This leads to some more good views.

3 - Copy.JPG

4 - Copy.JPG

A little farther up the road I notice a mailbox and lantern up in a tree. What the???? I don't think they get that much snow here like they do in some areas....I'm left wondering what this is all about. Is it just there to make people like me wonder about it or is there a less humorous reason for it?

5 - Copy.JPG

I passed by what appeared to be a few hunters in this area, but I guess it is enough of a "main road" that everyone just smiled and waved as I went by. I get up near the top of this particular hill and get another view of the valley.

6 - Copy.JPG

As I was riding along with "swivel neck" (a term my mom used to use on road trips and whatnot when you were constantly looking around at the sights) I notice a large animal down the edge of the hill. I couldn't tell what it was so I park a little ways up the road and walk back to get a better look/picture.

7 - Copy.JPG

Oh...nothing real exciting, just a lone cow that seems a bit out of place. He barely takes notice of me so I head back to the back. As I start back I decide that the bike sitting on the corner makes for a good picture too! I have one that is a bit closer to the bike, but I figured you guys would care more about the surrounding view than the bike that is in half of these pictures.

8 - Copy.JPG

I go around the corner and the trees start to clear out and I get a GREAT view of another valley.

9 - Copy.JPG 10 - Copy.JPG
    svtride, Amphib, Ginger Beard and 2 others like this.
  14. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally get onto the GPS track that I created from the satellite and map views of Google Maps to connect me to the "KAT" from the "SEAT". I quickly run into my first problem, a whole section of roads listed as public roads and shown as dirt roads on Google that in real life are gated off and a mine. I guess I'm just winging it for this part and end up routing around on mostly paved roads. It takes me through some pretty economically depressed towns (or so I presume from condition of buildings and businesses and what I know of this general area). Nonetheless it is a really scenic area. Finally I meet back up with my track and hit the dirt again. I am looking at the tracks on the road and wondering why a semi truck has been up and down this road when I come over a hill and there is a skidder pulling a semi up the hill loaded down with logs. Guess the tracks aren't a mystery anymore! I stop after a creek crossing to contemplate my route because the route I planned is a pretty hairy looking climb up a rutted and rocky hill. I decided that if I stayed on this road it was more of a main road and went to the same place based on the Locus map I had loaded. Off I go! The road slowly starts degrading as I pass one of the guys working with the loggers walking down the road. He just waves as I go by. Eventually I am in a wet mess of clay that in places is up to my foot pegs.

11 - Copy.JPG

I slide around, up and down some hills and come to a valley the road goes across. The skidder looks to have it pretty rutted/tore up with some standing water. I'm worried I might get stuck in the valley, but I know there are at least people around I can beg for help if I do get stuck so I decide to press on. Sliding around on the decent causes me to get my foot stuck in the mud, but I was still moving a bit and I get my leg caught under my saddle bag. It twists up my ankle/leg a bit, but conveniently it gets yanked out of the mud and as a bonus my boot even comes with it! I get through the water and up the other side without much more drama. I go around one more corner and all the logging equipment is parked. I slowly cruise through it and find a few skidder trails through the woods. I could certainly go down them, but I have two thoughts: 1.) I don't know for sure that I am allowed to be here. Furthermore, some states are really uptight about not being on legal roads and I don't know if West Virginia is one of them. I doubt it, but been in trouble for it in my younger years so I'm a bit wary. 2.) None of the tracks look like they go the right direction for the road on my GPS. I decide my best bet it to turn around and go back through all that mud. DOH!

On the way back I decided I needed some more pictures of the mud. In this picture you can see the tracks from the skidder and the drag marks from the logs and if you look hard enough, my tracks from the way in.

12 - Copy.JPG

I pass the logger on the way back out and he just waves again. I wonder what he's thinking...maybe "What an idiot." or "Ha! Sucker, I could have told you it was a dead end if you asked." or even "What the hell is a dirtbike with a Florida plate doing way out here?"

I ended up back on my original trail. The rocky climb was challenging, but pretty fun. I followed that road all the way around and when I got ALMOST back to a paved road I ran into another logging area. This one had more established roads and it seemed to follow my GPS, I still have to be careful in the mud, but no big deal. Of course as I get to the edge of the logging, the road my GPS says I should be on veers off and I have to improvise. I get out of the logging area and end up on an old two track that doesn't look like anyone has been on in a year or two. Eventually it dead ends, but my map says it keeps going. Hmmm. I have a mental debate since I really don't want to backtrack all the way back. It's probably close to an hour back, plus a reroute. This area looks like it was logged a few years ago and it is starting to grow back up with weeds, I can see the old ruts in the dirt and I'm so close to the paved road I should almost be able to see it. I decide to press on a little ways despite no obvious road and see if it picks back up and just this section is over grown. It didn't, so I turned back around and tried a few more routes. Eventually I find the new route of the road I was trying to come follow and slide my way down the hill to the paved road. I feel like I have conquered the impossible since there are so many half hearted road in the logging areas and most of them are impassable and/or don't go anywhere. I get out on the road and I can hear my chain squeaking and it's driving me nuts so I stop to lube it up.

13 - Copy.jpg

I'd say the bike is officially broke in for this trip. It probably weighs 50lbs more just from the mud it is carrying. I finally make it onto the KAT this is a random picture from that. This is actually an area that one of the "Hard" sections come back to the main trail. I didn't take any of the hard trails on this trip. I wanted to, but decided not to press my luck.

14 - Copy.jpg

I took a picture of this area because this reminded me of an area we used to 4 wheel in when I was a kid.

15 - Copy.JPG

Random road picture. I had a few guys I work with that ride dual sports and they were part of the crew that thought I was nuts for going on this trip an going alone. They requested lots of pics of the road conditions so I was trying to oblige.

16 - Copy.JPG

This is one of the areas that started to worry me. Not knowing any of these trails, where I am from it's entirely possible that someone in a lifted truck with 44+ inch tires has rutted out this mudhole and my bike will disappear or get stuck in the mud when I go through.

17 - Copy.JPG

Fortunately it didn't and until I got to Spaas Creek Rd all of the mudholes full of water that I came to seemed to have rocky bottoms and I had no issues in them. I was also cheating and noticed that it looked like I was following another bike and I was using their tracks to judge some of my paths as well.

This is just another random road shot.

18 - Copy.JPG

I started getting into some trails that were starting to get pretty grown over.

19 - Copy.JPG

Eventually, I started to worry the road was going to peter out and disappear on me again.

20 - Copy.JPG
    svtride, toypro1, Amphib and 5 others like this.
  15. JonBu

JonBu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The little dr200 is a billy goat. You won't get that thing stuck and it will pull you up and down any trail you want it to. Of course, that seat is atrocious, a plank would be more comfortable :D
    GreenF350 likes this.
  16. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fortunately it didn't, and I had a bit more faith in these trails being part of that KAT and not something I put together with outdated info.

I came down off the hill into what I presume was an old coal processing area? I don't know much about it, but there were a few old buildings around along with railroad tracks. I don't know why, but I am intrigued by old abandoned buildings. I think it's because they are kind of an anomaly. In this day and age it seems like we never just "leave" something. It is usually torn down for progress or improvements and it makes me contemplate the reasons why they just left it to rot and the history left behind. In the case of coal, I imagine the mines in the area ran out or became unprofitable, but again....just guessing from what I know of the subject.

22 - Copy.JPG

Just the other side of these buildings I have a bit of a questionable bridge to cross. It seems like it'll hold for the weight of the mighty 200 and myself. I did make a point to stay on the runners for the truck tires though.

25 - Copy.JPG

I don't know if the picture shows how steep the hillside is, but I had never seen horses that had two legs on one side shorter than the other two. :jack

24 - Copy.JPG

Another random road shot.

21 - Copy.JPG

The trail narrows down and starts to get a bit more overgrown again.

23 - Copy.JPG

I found a bit of a switchback that made an interesting photo.

26 - Copy.JPG

Another shot of the road conditions and view.

29 - Copy.JPG

Came up to an interesting road. It ran next to the railroad tracks for quite a ways. I couldn't help but wonder if there was enough room for a train on the close tracks and a pickup truck or if the truck had to dodge the train. It showed as a road on my map though and I never would have guessed I could go down this road if I was just out randomly exploring.

27 - Copy.JPG

Started getting close to McCoy Hill and then the road disappeared. WTH? I was surprised it was that overgrown with the amount of traffic I thought it would see.

28 - Copy.JPG

I forged ahead since the line on my GPS said I should. (Isn't that how people get lost in the desert and die?) Fortunately there is no desert here so I make it out alive. I'm pretty sure this is McCoy Hill and about how far I made it on the DR200. It doesn't do well will rocky climbs because I just can't get enough wheel speed out of it. It doesn't have enough power and I loose too much momentum and end up in 1st gear, WOT, engine screaming until I'm going too slow to maintain control and/or forward motion. I know I didn't try real hard to get up it because even though it looks VERY doable from a distance, as I started up I realized it really wasn't worth the effort and there was no way I was going to make it.

30 - Copy.JPG
    svtride, toypro1, Amphib and 3 others like this.
  17. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I managed to get the bike turned around and back down the hill and snapped a few pictures of the area.

31 - Copy.JPG

The views were great. I suspect this area is an old mine that's all grown back over, as were a few other of the areas I went through in this part of the country. I'm pretty sure this is a picture looking back up McCoy Hill. I think the picture looking down was about from the transition where it gets steeper.

32 - Copy.JPG

Another view from that general area.

33 - Copy.JPG

I was following those motorcycle tracks I was talking about and ended up going down this road. It got really grown over, bad enough I had to stop. Then I realized that the GPS track went a different direction back at the fork and the tracks I was following disappeared too.

34 - Copy.JPG

When I got back to the fork I chuckled because it looked like the guy who's tracks I had been following did exactly the same thing I did. Found a few more creek crossings today and took a break at this one.

35 - Copy.jpg

I managed to find an even more photogenic angle.

36 - Copy.jpg

Once again I had planned just a bit more distance to cover than I should have and I ended up on the road past dark. It was a bit chilly too, but not miserable. I made it to camp, paid the host and set up camp.
  18. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the middle of the night I woke up to something near the tent making subdued snarling/snorting noises. I would love to tell you I knew what it was, but I didn't. I suspect it was a opossum? Anyway, between that and the chilly morning I slept in a bit longer than I probably should have knowing the distance I am covering again. When I woke up I had a good view of the river.

1 - Copy.JPG

This campground just had a big field to set up in down along the river. The ground was a bit soft, so if the river was high it could get interesting, but I had no issues. All my stuff was still wet, but I don't have time to let it sit out and dry so it all gets packed up and off I go.

2 - Copy.JPG

Today is another good day for road conditions and they don't disappoint. I gotta say, the eastern portion of the KAT that I rode was great. It seems like most people run the west side, but I'll have to make another trip back for that. Here are a few pics of the varying road conditions.

3 - Copy.JPG

This one almost pitched me off the edge. I don't know why, but one of the fist sized rocks rolled just right and somehow the bike pitched almost 90 degrees sideways. Fortunately I wasn't going too fast and was able to get on the brakes before it go ugly. Getting it backed away from the edge of the road and pointed back in the right direction took a bit of work though.

4 - Copy.JPG

If I recall correctly this was on one of the bypasses for one of the hard sections.

5 - Copy.JPG

This would have been interesting in a 4x4, but was no match for the mighty 200!

6 - Copy.JPG

7 - Copy.JPG

I found a section that was a bit less rocky and was getting to be more clay/mud, but it doesn't last.

8 - Copy.JPG

I'm not sure what this building was, but it had a few horses in it that watched me go by like I wasn't supposed to be there.

9 - Copy.JPG

Right after that I passed what looked to be an old sawmill. It still had some boards near it. I wonder if it still works?

10 - Copy.JPG
    Amphib and MYUMPH like this.
  19. GreenF350

GreenF350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I never saw the first fence gate that the GPS tracks make a point to say to close after going through (open or otherwise), but this is what was listed as the second gate. Apparently this track runs through some private property, but permission is granted to ride through on the KAT. That is AWESOME If anyone knows who it is be sure to send my thanks) and I made it a point to leave no evidence I was there except for some gently laid tracks, to include latching the gate back up.

11 - Copy.JPG

I'm not real sure where this was, but this is the order it was in on my camera. I remember taking the picture though because I was surprised at how undercut the bank was. I was thinking that water must've really been moving! I THOUGHT this went back with the creek crossing I took pictures of in post #37, but if that was the case I have NO idea how it ended up in this order.

12 - Copy.JPG

This was probably the deepest crossing of my trip. I contemplated how to check the depth and bottom condition, but it looked ok as far as I could tell. I decided to chance it since I was finally starting to dry out and the river/creek didn't look to be too high or have much current.

13 - Copy.JPG

That gamble paid off today. It wasn't quite to the top of my front tire and other than a bit of a pucker factor I made it across without any drama.

15 - Copy.JPG

Grabbed a picture of the rock in the middle of the creek bed. I'm not sure if it eroded in place like that or was moved there because of a flood.

14 - Copy.JPG

Apparently it was quite a party spot. I wish I'd have been in my truck and I'd have picked up all the cans. I haven't checked on scrap aluminum prices lately, but that's gotta be a couple bucks worth. Unfortunately I didn't have any way to carry them so...if you want to make a few bucks and clean up a bit....they are probably still there.

16 - Copy.JPG

There were a few more crossings in this area. I worried a bit about driving over the exposed cable. I don't know what it is, but assume it is some utility...cable, fiber, power, phone, etc. I guess it's fine though or they'd have come and buried/moved it.

17 - Copy.JPG

18 - Copy.JPG

Back up onto the paved road and into Natural Bridges State Park.

19 - Copy.JPG

Not too far after that I came to Spaas Creek Rd. I didn't really know what I was getting into on this one. This was the only place on the whole trip that I found a few mud/water holes that had a soft bottom and took a bit of work to get through. If I couldn't see bottom and I could get around them on the road I did. I was glad I wasn't in a 4x4 when I got to the ones at the north end of the road as I was able to just sneak in between them, but they looked deep and muddy. I only took a few pictures of the creek(s) and the crossings along here because there had to have been well over a dozen of them. I didn't count, but the road just kept weaving back and forth across it.

20 - Copy.JPG
  20. GasMich

GasMich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying this ride. Interesting photos. Gotta love going through those logging sections. Never know where the trail is. Keep up the good report and keep on the gas with the little DR.