1. eNewsletter Sign Up

flat tire patch?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by markgsnw, Oct 7, 2002.

1. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    I know we've talked about this before but now that it's MY tire I'm going to really pay attention :):

Went for a longish ride yesterday with the Mrs on board, dirt roads, freeways, twisties, A OK. This morning discovered the rear Tourance is flat andhad no time to deal with it, I'm assuming a slow leak.

Is it reasonable to patch a small hole or should you always replace a tire that has a puncture? No point in asking the dealer:huh

This tire looks tohave about half of its tread left so if it is safe to patch it I will have them do so.

TIA,

mark
  2. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Patch it.

On the 'road' (could be dirt:): ) I prefer the string type (looks like a fuzzy shoe lace) not the bullet (rubber bung thingy).

If you go to a dealer - ensure that they do patch tyres and that they have a suitable new tyre in stock...
  3. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    I forgot that I'm dealing with PMC, so no, they do not patch tires under any circumstances..."motorcycle tires are subject to forces 7x greater than car tires" (oh really?). I'm trying to talk one of the Honda dealers into doing the work (they patch tires but are afraid of BMW rims).

Hole is right in the middle of a tread block BTW....so much for steel belted tires being bulletproof :cry
  4. jwin

jwin Slow Learner

Oddometer:
    I got a nail between tread blocks on an almost new rear Tourance. Plugged it day before yesterday with the 4" sticky rubber booger from Walmart. Haven't done anything crazy yet, just my 2 mile commute, but it seems alright.
  5. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I guess it's been about 3,000 miles since I plugged a hole with the Stop n' Go kit. The plug is working well. I'm adding air at the same rate as before the flat.
  6. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    My flats always occur when the tire is thin and nearly wore out, what a coincidence. I use the stringy plugs from Walmart. They say to use these temporarily until you can get a permanent patch at the dealer. Why? What is the worst thing that could happen? The hole might start leaking again and require another cheap plug. I plug the hole and forget about it.
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    The worst that could happen is tire failure and blowout at high speed, which probably wouldn't be a happy thing.

Tire failure
    If the cycle starts handling differently, pull off and check the tires. You seldom hear a tire go flat, instead, you’ll feel it.

If the front tire goes flat, the steering will feel “heavy.” If the rear tire goes flat, the back of the motorcycle will tend to jerk from side to side. If one of your tires suddenly loses air, react quickly to keep your balance by:

holding the handlegrips firmly. Concentrate on steering a straight course opposite the tire that’s flat.

gradually applying the brake, slowing down, edge to the side of the road, and stop.

If you have a blowout, you need to react quickly to keep your balance. A front wheel blowout affects your steering and makes it feel heavy. A rear wheel blowout makes the back of the motorcycle slide from side to side.

If you have a blowout, you can help by:

- concentrating on steering a straight course,

- gradually closing the throttle and coasting, and

- edging toward the side of the road and stopping.

(thanks to New Jersey's Motor Vehicle Services)

8. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    What are the odds of a blow out being caused by a small nail puncture? I've never even heard of anyone having a blowout on a street bike. These tires are rated for much higher speeds than I normally travel, so I'm not too concerned about it. I had a tire go flat rapidly once, it got wobbly in the corners, so I pulled over. I do know a guy who had a magnesium rim fail on his Ducati Darma in the middle of a corner with a passenger. Somehow he got stopped without crashing.
  9. davidpetersen

davidpetersen BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a rear R11GS tire blowout at speed, loaded, two-up. It was an Avon Gripster tubeless, the ones that were discontinued shortly thereafter. The sidewall ruptured with an incredibly loud bang and the bike began fishtailing. I applied gently throttle until the bike stabilized, then slowly eased to the roadside and stopped. Pucker factor was off the scale.

I didn't hit any potholes, the pressures were correct, and there were no nail or other punctures. Probably cause was that the Gripster was not designed to handle the loads of a big GS. Since then I'm VERY careful to check tire pressures every day I ride.

David
  10. HardCoreCommute

HardCoreCommute Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "bike began fishtailing"

You mean FISHtailing? It started to make abusive and rude postings on a bulletin board???:evil

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)
  11. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No shit?
    NO SHIT!!!
    NEVER SAY DIE!

You haven't lived until the rear tire on your loaded KLR goes flat at 80 mph in the inside lane of three at rush hour on a Monday in the Death Star Trench in Nashville.

Lesson: Don't run cheap IRC tires at high speed in high temps.

Glad I was wearing the 'stich even though I didn't actually use it.

NEVER SAY DIE!

ps: I've run many miles on plugged tires, no problem. Just a datum, not a suggestion. YMMV.
  12. davidpetersen

davidpetersen BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "bike began fishtailing"

You mean FISHtailing? It started to make abusive and rude postings on a bulletin board???

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

No, that's called "Fish-tale-ing" :rofl
  13. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    I plugged an MEz4 on the KRS and rode it 4000 miles after it was plugged. No problems. YMMV and it was my choice. Make your own.

Remember I ride like a girl.
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    :huh :lol2