Flatlanders do Heart of the West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DolphinJohn, Aug 27, 2013.

1. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    So, getting ready to head out to Colorado again, this time to ride Tony Heugel's Heart of the West Adventure Route (originally called Forever West)
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845500

[​IMG]

Tony (with the help of Docking Pilot and others) has mapped out a fantastic loop of some historic and very scenic dirt roads in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

I will be riding with Steve (Gun4Hire) again. We race hare scrambles here in Florida together in the cooler months and two years ago we rode a bunch in Colorado. Ride report with lots of pics and some videos here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums//showthread.php?t=731643

We will be riding the same bikes as the Month of Sundays trip, me on my 2000 KTM 640E and Steve on his 1997 Honda XR600R.

Steve keeps his bike out in Aurora and flies out there a couple times a year to get some riding in. I will be driving my bike out in my truck.

We plan on camping as much as we can again. We're trying to pack as light as possible (isn't that always the challenge?) even though this route should be fairly easy compared to the stuff we rode two years ago.

This time we are going to try using intercoms, a first for me. It should be fun.

Anyone who has done the route or knows the area, feel free to chime in with any hints, cautions, whatever.

Today I begin laying out all my gear and wondering how I will carry it all. :D

I'll post again with some prep pics when it gets closer. I plan to leave here by Monday, Sept. 2nd and take a few days to get to Aurora.

2. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    New rubber and brakes front and rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dunlop D606 rear and Pirelli MT 21 front.

I also put a 15 tooth front sprocket on.

Fresh oil change, valve check, radiator coolant flush, brake fluid change.

Put a 162 main jet in the Keihin FCR 41mm carb for the higher elevation.

3. jjgres

jjgres Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just saw Steve today. Have big-time camera envy! Should be some great video.
  4. gun 4 hire

gun 4 hire FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer:
    Flying out today to prep: First order of bizness always: kick start the xr600r after months of sitting wearing only my flip flops. (I live in key west after all) This ritual is a handshake between man and machine that says " I am reliable and I will take u on this journey and back". If all goes well I will say thank you to the mighty XR and then pat it gently on the tank... Only then will I tear it down and add Safari tank, rotopax, Scott's, and some new wiring for the GPS as well as electronic device charging. Then I have some welding as well as new rubber to mount up and balance at Woodys wheel in Denver [​IMG]

All who wander sure as heck ain't lost
  5. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    That should be a great ride.
    Tony helped me with planning my "Empty West" ride and it was epic.

Good luck!
    Q~
  6. gun 4 hire

gun 4 hire FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer:
    Prep day 1: installed a dc reg/rectifier and a small battery on leg # 2 of the Ricky stator. Tough fitting it all ontop of the air box but got er done. Using the second leg to power the GPS as well as a HDuty Marine 12 v socket with 2usb ports near the tail. This way I can charge 2 brunton 3600mah batts while riding . I use the bruntons at nite to charge go pro, iPhone, or the Sena intercom unit.

Also put on an Acerbis 5.8 tank, some new plastics, shock boots, and finally mounted my Scott's stabilizer.

Also took my wheels to Woodys so I could have them check
    The integrity as well as mount new Pirelli/Kenda Dot rubber.
    Woodys found some rusty nips in the back rim that actually were stripped and needing replacement so that's getting done by tomorrow am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

One more day to finish up Steve's bike and we should be heading for Oak Creek tomorrow to jump on the HoW trail!!

I can't wait to get out there in the wide open spaces.

Thanks again to Tony H. for all the help and answering my multitude of questions.

8. gregneedham

gregneedham I seem to fall often

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the trip!
  9. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Steve's XR, "The Mule", getting the final touches. [​IMG]
  10. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to do the same ride next fall about the same time as you so i'll be watching you guys (and asking questions after).
    Have fun and safe travels
  11. gregneedham

Oddometer:
    Good to see you back on the 640. Amazing machine.
  12. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Best of luck on your journey, DolphinJohn! Looking forward to following along. :clap
  13. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Loaded and leaving Aurora. [​IMG]
  14. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    :yum
  15. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in and excited to see this trip unfold for you! I bought Tony's route and rode part of it last September. What a gift his service is! I had a mechanical early that delayed me so much I could only do a section of it. Like 'gun', I keep a dual sport in Scottsdale and have to fly in. In fact I just bought my own sweet little place a couple weeks ago and I'm going out there next month to tend to priorities in getting it ready: Epoxy the garage floor, Install cabinets, tire rack, work bench, roller cabinet, tools, tire changer, cycle lift, trailer and tow vehicle. :D

My buddy and I rode the CDR from Yellowstone to Chama in 2011. It was fantastic, but the best was the few hours we spent on the Oregon Trail. We didn't have tracks so we guessed. Got totally lost once and had to do a bit of bush whacking to find the Riverview Cutoff. It worked out.

I really really really want to camp in Dinosaur Monument and take Tony's route to Salt Lake. That is my goal for 2014. Well, I have also entered the alcan5000 for the third time too... :D

Bring it on. You are at the perfect time of year. You should love this trip! Very relaxing on middleweight motorcycles. Take pics and post them. We want to see your road conditions too. :deal
  16. gun 4 hire

gun 4 hire FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer:
    Pantah... That's exactly what I am looking to do. Get a little property with cabin/ garage and outfit it as a complete jumping off point for 2 wheel Adv adventures out West. Current plans are to get a samurai/jeep and put the bike on back. Haul it to trailhead a via hwy and save the tires/drivetrain.

Good luck with your place !

17. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Well, we got to Oak Creek but there was "no room at the inn".
    I think bow hunting season is underway.
    We went a little farther to Steamboat and got one of the last rooms in town. We will be able to jump on the HoW in the morning back down near Oak Creek.
    On the way out here today we rode through Rocky Mt. NP and it was gorgeous. We saw a bunch of elk and bighorn sheep, and though the skies were dark and we saw some lightning, we never really got rained on. We rode some wet roads that had just been rained on but the weather gods were good to us. I really hope our luck continues.
    I regret not pulling over like all the other tourists to take pics of the wildlife, but we were set on getting there and not always a safe place to pull over.
    I took one quick iPhone pic up at a rest area near the summit.
    [​IMG]

Excited for tomorrow, more to come.......

18. gun 4 hire

gun 4 hire FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer:
    Left Aurora at 11a. Long day on the pavement today. A necessary evil to get to our trip starting point near Oak creek.
    Bikes and all gear running 100%
    Roads were clear and pretty easy today. Had one big cow that walked into road in front of us and just stared and a stared....until the precise moment that I got the iphone camera out to take it pic as it blocked out path.

Rain everywhere for last 4 hrs or from Estes Park to Steamboat... Dark skies, lightening... But it always disappeared as we approached. It was like we threaded the needle all day long. So. Lucky.

Had to ride to Steamboat in dark cause the rooms in Oak Creek were all full.

Got one of the last rooms avail in "The Boat" at Hotel Bristol on 40 right downtown. Nice place.

Was seeing all kinds of dirt forest roads in the area the last 80 miles... Can't wait to hit the real trail....[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics and bikes.

That Byways guy is awesome!
    He definitely has his finger on the pulse of great trails and routes out west! :wave
  20. gregneedham

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Looks great loaded up. Hit the road and let's see some pictures. Have a great time and I wish I was there with you.

Greg