Flin Flon Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cbxtc6, Nov 16, 2004.

1. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 On my Way...

Oddometer:
    Hey All,
    We're taking the bikes up to Flin Flon, Manitoba next Spring, and I was wondering about the routes up there from Winnipeg? I'm specifically looking at Rt. 10 North, and Rt. 6 South? Anyone ever ridden these roads? What do I need to know, as far as large animals, gas stops, road condition, places to stop, etc?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take lots of bug repelent. The mosquitos are like small angry airplanes.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. RedRyder

RedRyder Jose Adventurista

Oddometer:
    It's a pretty nice ride up that way. I did it in 04. I came south from FlinFlon to Winnipeg. Only the truckers and people in a bigggggggggg hurry take hwy 6.You would think it would be the most scenic, being between the two big lakes, but it just aint so. Take hwy 10 south all the way to hwy 16 then east on 16 to wpg. Make sure you go thru Riding Mountain National Park. Really cool part of the hwy. Almost like a tunnel thru the trees. I never encountered any animals on the hwy's but I am sure they are there. No probs any where for gas. Lots of little towns along the way. Probably somewhat of a step back in time for you high paced gringo's :D Seems every town has an old converted A&W still in use. Even a few drive in theatres still out there. Very friendly people. Highways are in fine shape generally. Flin Flon big mining town. Huge stack. If I recall, Flin Flon sort of straddles the provincial border between Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Kind of a grubby town. Typical mining town i reckon. Next big town south on 10 is The Pas. Pretty big place. Logging is the main industry for sure. Lots of Motels, Hotels. Every rock face for miles and miles outside of town is coverered in grafitti. Seems to be the local pass time and condoned by authorities. Big native presence in town. Lots of white crosses dotting the sides of Hwy 10. Not a dangerous Hwy, just witness to the fact that life can get a little boring for the rural youth of the north.
    You will be tempted to veer off of 10 at points to get closer to the lake, but stay on it. It really is the best, most scenic route. If you are camping, there is usually campgrounds located near most of the small towns, some run by Orgs like the lions, rotary etc. Lots of places in the north parts of 10 to just slip into a side road and primitive camp. Lots of bugs in the north part, better to the south. Try camping in more open areas.
    Best of luck. You will have a great trip. The people are very friendly. Mostly north European in descent. Try some Perogies!!!!
  4. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 On my Way...

Oddometer:
    Thanks Red!
    Doesn't sound much different than here! We still have an A&W with car-hop, drive-in movie theaters, and perogies! Mosquitos too.
    We'll check it out next Spring!
    Thanks again!
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I lived up there for about 3 years. The road is unfortunately , straight and
    boring, no matter which route you take. There are gas stops within 200 km
    of each other, worst case.
    Overall HWY 10 is slightly more intereresting, at least through Dauphin and that area.
    Road conditions are generally fair to good.
    As far as animals go, mostly watch for deer, there's a billion of the buggers.
    As someone else mentioned, take bug repellant, anything with DEET is the
    best. The mosquitos will probably be intense, to the point where you won't
    want to get off the bike.

Our nickname for the place is Farflung Manitoba.
  6. REB

REB B.C. Horticulturist

Oddometer:
    Also, bring your own medicine. What is apparently grown for the Government of Canada in FlinFlon has apparently had some critical reviews. :stoned
  7. REB

REB B.C. Horticulturist

Oddometer:
    :smokeAlso, bring your own medicine. Not surprisingly, the official Government of Canada medicinal product from FlinFlon has apparently had some critical reviews. :stoned

Enjoy your holiday.