Flinders Ranges South Australia turns out it was a tribute ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Gasman_ADV, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    AUSSIEADV, Mickalmus, pops and 3 others like this.
  2. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I pull into the campground http://www.angorichinavillage.com.au/ after a 6 hour 2 day trip to get there and meet up with Dave and "the cleaning lady" open the door to the rental van and proudly show off the bike.
    "whats with all the colors are you a poofta or something" says the cleaning lady.

you know its going to be a good weekend :lol3

20180823_141545.jpg

Do I look like a ..................never mind :hmmmmm

20180825_175511.jpg
  3. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok lets wind it back a bit,I was invited on a extended weekend ride up in the Flinders Ranges here in South Australia.
    I was invited by a bloke I have only met once before a few years ago on a ride which of course I don't remember much about, we share a facebook page for Husaberg riders and also he's on a Facebook forum I regularly contribute to "ASD Matters" (Autism) I have two daughters 18 and 21 now who are both on the Autism scale, my wife goes to work and I have done the Mr mum thing forever, its a hard gig but who doesn't love watching and being involved with their daughters as they grow up. I have also struggled with the black dog for over a decade and the last 2 or 3 years I have been moving out of that chapter and getting back on the bike etc.

So Steve has watched me give a lot of myself to help others on this ASD page and also saw that I was burnt out and looking for a break, plus i have a Husaberg 570
    He asked me a few months ago and I said about 90% can't go, not ready etc etc that moved to 50/50 and then ok I will hire a van and head up and meet you there.
  4. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    now here's where Iam going to deviate from a standard story line and letting it unfold in an organic fashion.
    There was I think there was about 10 of us in total, and it turned out it was a tribute ride to a mate of 8 of these guys who took his own life about 2 months ago, the mate who always organizes these things and organized this ride, who through a series of events made a quick but well thought out and executed decsion to take his own life. I avvived in camp Friday lunchtime but didn't find out this information until Sunday Morning, absoulutly no problem here and I have expressed that it was a privilage to be invited on this ride.

Now back to the ride report,

thank you.
    Fearless Whetu and shuswap1 like this.
  5. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was the night before, new triple clamps (reduced the rake from 22 to 18 degrees) larger front brake and quick oil change as well.
    hired a van loaded up Thursday later than I wnated and ended up gettign a room at Port Agusta for the night, once befoer I went up at night and saw hundrds of kangaroos on the road, way way dangerous (and that is the last time Iam going to use the full term "Kangaroo" as well :) )

Port Agusta truck stop for breakfast

20180824_065020.jpg 20180824_065020.jpg

Attached Files:

sages likes this.
  6. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    now there was a thing ........driving up Friday Morning no phone service soon after Pt Agusta until Quorn....just a couple of k's out of Quorn the phone beeps ..a msg...had to drive back 1.5k to make a call and cancel an appointment, set off again and same spot phone beeps again, Steve who invited my txt ...the boys up at Ango (Angorichina camp) had not seen me last night and asking if I was ok ....had to drive back the 1.5k again and I phoned Dave at Angorichina Village (Ango) just to report in , apparently the boys allready up there drove about 15 k in the night dodging roos to get a phone call through to see if I was ok and I have never met these guys. I said to Dave "thats something different, people that actually care and go out of their way to check up on your wellbeing, yes this sounds harsh but I was jsut blown away that these strangers were actually concerned about my wellfare. I think now I understand better their concern for a dad who they heard was tired and exausted and jsut looking for a break, thank you Aron and your mates.

Get to camp and looking around for a spot to pitch a tent, and really Iam getting to old for this shit, I was looking for comfort they all had their swags (well mini tents rather than traditional swags) lined up against this cabin.
    Cabin was avaliable for $62 a night .............I said this is my home.
    20180824_113825.jpg
    20180824_113552.jpg

20180824_113611.jpg

No onsuite so this was the walk to the showers and toilet, but that was absolutely fine, I had a gas stove and microwave and running water and it gave me the space and time to myself that I was looking for as well as the company of other blokes to talk motorbikes n shit :1drink

perfect it was
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  7. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    the walk to the toilets and showers , hows the scenery :-)

20180824_113844.jpg
    shuswap1 likes this.
  8. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyway no bikes around and Steve and his brother were still on the road so I thought I better see if the bike actually ran and go for a ride into Blinman about 16 klms on a seriously corrugated road.
    this is what the bike looked like pretty much until the night before I left.
    New Front Disk (Braking 260mm Italian craftmanship)
    triple bolt 18/20 degree offset Triple clamps , moved the offset from 22 to 18 and wow what a difference, fantastic.
    20180820_161056.jpg

20180820_172633.jpg 20180820_172623.jpg

This was the day before

20180821_141555.jpg
  9. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    So here's the map , at the top in Yellow is Blinman (pub) just below is Ango (camp ground) and to the left is Parachilna ..re Para ..re pub)
    in the middle is Brachina Gorge and further down is Wilpena Pound (Resort)

20180824_120742.jpg
  10. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know ...you want photos :y0!

Rode into Blinman, had a beer and took a selfi :D

rode back to camp, still no sight of anybody else so rode out to a lookout just a few k's away and took a few pics

20180824_132656.jpg

20180824_145818.jpg 20180824_145832.jpg
  11. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets move ahead to Saturday, we all suit up and its time for a ride, there was talk of a ride to Mt Samuel (private gate access $15 per bike) and a larger group ride around the PAR (leaves south of Para and loops up and around coming back into Blinman, its more of a 4wd track , perfect for bikes)
    Now I didn't know any of these blokes and I wasn't sure who to ride with, there was two young blokes going to ride Mt Samuel but these lads looked like they were going to be adrelain junkies so I decided to go with "the older guys" (most younger than me actually only one my age the rest younger).
    I mention this because one of the younger lads was particularly close the deceased who was a father figure to him, this lad came up Friday night and had one purpose in mind and that was to ride this track which was the original intention of the ride when it was organized, he returned back to Adelaide after they had ridden the track (at speed and busted the bike in the process, but was all worth it). Now I was told he didn't stay on because he didn't want to cry and get upset in camp later. Iam writing these personal things as I feel its all part of the blackdog and consequences and people and things.
    Remember I didn't know the backstory until Sunday morning.

this is a photo of the group I rode with, out of sequence because I didn't take any group photos earlier
    P1070944.JPG
  13. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    P1070931.JPG P1070932.JPG

I really clicked with these two Josh and Cliff plus Big Al not in pic P1070934.JPG
  14. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Super Moderator Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    hunter_greyghost and Gasman_ADV like this.
  15. Gravelroadster

Gravelroadster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 :clap
  16. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please understand a report like this takes hours and days to put together.
    I enjoy it and its helping me to process the weekend and life and everything ..
    Iam smiling because I know some of the thing to come :D
  17. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i admire anyone who takes the time to file a report like this esp with lots of pics,once i start to do something i tend to forget to take pics until after wards!
    pops, shuswap1, Oms and 1 other person like this.
  18. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Allright back to Saturday Morning, as I was scouting out who to ride with I walked down to Big Al, Cliff and Josh's camp (back corner of the grounds) and was chatting with them, now here's the thing and another layer of this report. I explained that I used to ride very fast and it was easy, but starting a family and stuff stuff and more stuff and about a decade of depression (yes I talk about the black dog these days if appropriate) and the last couple of years I have been coming out of it. (because I don't like being in that space, I don't want to live like that)

I haven't ridden the bike since January, and then only sand the last couple of years, can't ride like I used to although there was a glimmer of my old self last time I was out, etc etc,
    The bike has been in dissasembly since January, I have just changed the triple clamp, put a bigger front brake on (to suit my riding style) re jigged the front forks, yadda yadda yadda, ete, Iam overweight and no exercise (at all) etc....

been running around after my daughters and they take all my time and energy etc etc
    But I have also been working on "something" I have been working on chasing and trading the stock market, futures, anything that moves really for the last 30 years and "I think I have something" so I have been pushing my brain very very hard this year, trying to get my brain to start firing again and get those neurons working again, this has been very important to me and moving out of long term depression it is the challenge, but after this weekend I realize Iam winning.

This is all written for a reason my new friends :drums

we all set off to ride the PAR ....well actually they all set off and left me behind as I was stuffing around getting all my gear organized , which included my backpack that weighed getting up to 10 kg (I can translate that to imperial ..."fucking heavy" ) but I packed in extra tools as I wasn't sure about these blokes plus I was carrying a PLB , InReach and an Icom UHF plus first aid kit, spare tube etc etc.........anyway we all caught up at the turnoff from the main road.
  19. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Iam wearing all the gear with no idea , thought I will just start off right at the back and settle in, all good, Big Al was right at the back and I had given Cliff one of my helmets as I also have Sena 20s comms and I thought he might be the most entertaining to talk with through the ride. (we got on well) anyway I felt good on the bike and slipped quietly past one bike after the next, ( I used to ride a 86 CR500 which I tuned to hammer pretty hard, and with that you learn to pass your mates steady of the throttle to keep the spray of rocks and shredded earth to a minimum)

So moving forward just feeling my way forward moving past a bike every now and then ..no problem, came up to a gate and knowing the cornerman system I stopped and waited for those behind me to catch up and see who was in front. It was big Al I spoke to and asked who's in front...Am I in the lead ????.....Yes mate your in front.................oppps big shock ...I was just trying to stay in the middle of the pack and just blend in :jack
    pops likes this.
  20. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    The next leg I thought ahh stuff it I will go first and just take it easy and see if anybody get their nose out of joint or whatever ...:-)
    anyway I had Cliff on the radio and again just stretching the muscles getting comfortable etc , then Cliff was gettign a bit crackly on the radio and it came back to me, all the skills, the brain was firing, everything was just working and I twisted the throttle and just glided my way, riding like the wind ...........life was good, more than good.

Did I mention the bike, Husaberg 570, Iv done a few tricks to it, Vortex Ignition, I made my own powerbomb, fitted AFR and Ex Temp gauges (not wired up yet) cut a hole in the seat as the air box is directly underneath and fitted a snow resistant type mesh, plus a few other things to give the bike some serious mumbo jumbo, Clake Light clutch, the bigger front brake ...............yes life was better than good :sweeti

So the radio had gone quiet, it was a beautiful day, no dust when you are in front :D
    I kept this up probably 15 minutes or so, not really sure but I only stopped because I came up to a right had turn through a gate (remember cornerman system) ......this was so significant as my brain stayed switched on the whole time, I cannot stress this enough, those who live in depression will know understand.

anyway I pulled up, got my helmet and backpack off , decided to knock up a replica Hans Heysen charcoal of the area, so got a fire going, burnt the charcoal, set about my etching, then sold that to a passing grey nomand then waited until Cliff rolled in next followed by Josh..........ok ...I might have dug out my camera and taken a few photos whislt waiting for Cliff to roll up. :D

P1070934.JPG

P1070935.JPG